Options

Please Sirens and/or Sleeping By Myself - Oakland for my mom

MK13579MK13579 Posts: 217
edited November 2013 in The Porch
To make a long story short, my father passed away this year of a terrible stroke. He was 64 years young, healthy and full of life. This has been extremely hard on my family, and mostly on my mother. When I first heard Sirens, it was like hearing from my father beyond the grave. I played the song for my mom and she was instantly brought to tears, as was I. Needless to say, we are both in love with the song, and I am taking her to the Oakland show in hopes of hearing it for the first time live.

On a side note, my mom and I have separately come to the conclusion that "Sleeping By Myself" is our favorite track on the new album. Surprisingly enough, this song, with these sad lyrics, yet uplifting music, has found its place in our hearts. Obviously, the song doesn't really fit our situation outside of the chorus, but we love it nonetheless, and it makes us smile. We would both be overjoyed if Sleeping By Myself were to be performed in Oakland, especially following Sirens.

Also, it just so happens that my fathers name was Ed, my mothers name is Edith, and my brother's name is Eddie. My name is Mike... and Pearl Jam didn't exist before all of this, so it's just some cosmic awesomeness that I have been surrounded by Ed variants my whole life, while I dreamed of being Mr. Mike McCready. I know that's off topic, but worth throwing in.

So in closing, hearing Sirens followed by Sleeping By Myself would be an incredibly emotional experience for my mother and I. If, somehow, it was dedicated to Ed and Edith, it would be unimaginable.

P.s. they started dating in the 60's (high school sweethearts) listening to the original Last Kiss, but fortunately she's seen that one live in SF 7/16/06. This will be her third show with me. :D my treat

1230_584259831604619_1983017865_n.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    I am sorry to hear you lost your father. It is a rough experience and best wishes to you and your family.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    I'm really sorry about your dad. I hope this comes true for you and your mom. Best wishes
  • Options
    Thank you for the kind words. I'm keeping this post a secret from my mom because I don't want to get her hopes up..or have her find out I posted this picture of her online. However, if you see us in line, feel free to say hi!
  • Options
    Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672
    You have a beautiful Mother. I'm sorry for the loss of your father. I hope this happens for your family.
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    I hope your double-song wish comes true and I wish you and your mum all the best.

Life can be so hard at times, but we can look forward to the special moments that will take us away from that sadness, and it sounds like these 2 songs do this for you and your mum. I am wishing hard for you to hear these 2 songs.
  • Options
    So requests/wishes have now turned into requesting/"demanding" specific chains of songs?

Hope everything turns out great and you get the songs played!
    (But also hope this does not turn into a trend on the board. Wonder what's next...)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    So requests/wishes have now turned into requesting/"demanding" specific chains of songs?

(But also hope this does not turn into a trend on the board. Wonder what's next...)

I'm not demanding and after re-reading my post I don't see how it could come across as such...and honestly I don't even expect to hear either song. I just figured since it worked in the past that I would give it a try. It's the least I could do for my mom to hope for these songs. I see a lot of song requests on here so from my pov it's already a trend, otherwise I would've never been inspired to throw my wish in the bucket. Either way, thank you for hoping everything turns out great. I guarantee you, with Pearl Jam playing, everything will turn out great, even if they don't play either song.
  • Options

This is Definitely not the place to have that type of conversation.

Bump...
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your father's passing. I support this request. Would love to hear that song in Oakland
    To and fro the pendulum throws

"Don't Worry, Be Happy." Avatar Meher Baba

7/12/11 - EV Oakland 2, 10/22/11 - EV Bridge School
    9/25/11 Vancouver, 11/26/13 - Oakland, 11/7/15 - Buenos Aires
  • Options
    BabaLover wrote:
    Sorry to hear about your father's passing. I support this request. Would love to hear that song in Oakland

Thanks for the kind words, and support for the music!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    SO SORRY FOR THAT..I FEEL GONNA HAPPEN YOUR REQUEST
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,303
    My condolences to you & your mom i really hope they play the songs for you & mom and don't pay attention to SC total wanker ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    bump to keep this request alive.

• Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,444
    Good luck with your requests. You and your mom are going to have a great time tonight :D
  • Options
    tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    So sorry about your father. The best of luck on your requests!
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • Options
    DavidD wrote:
    Good luck with your requests. You and your mom are going to have a great time tonight :D

Thank you, but this is for Oakland... however, we still plan on having dinner tonight so there's that. Also, thanks to everyone else for keeping this dream alive. I almost deleted the thread after the first, and thankfully only, off comment. However, I'm glad I didn't and I really appreciate all of the positive support. We have reserved seats with a 145xxx number so I'm hoping we are on the sides and not behind General admission. I keep thinking in my head, what if this really happens? Like if he actually says my mom and dad's names.. my mom would probably be like "someone here has the same names as me and your dad"... being completely clueless that it was for her, haha.
  • Options
    Bump.... Hope something good happens.
  • Options
    tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    Bump!
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • Options
    Sirens.... Sleeping By Myself.... Bump
  • Options
    When I first got the new cd, I let my mom borrow it cause I had the mp3's from the 10club on my phone. Last night at dinner,I asked her "Are you still listening to the new PJ album?" to which she replied "Every day! I have it on repeat and love so many of the songs."

You should've seen her face...I laughed. It'll be embarrassing if she knows more words than I do at the show. I can't lose my PJ cred to my mom haha.
  • Options
    MK13579 wrote:
    When I first got the new cd, I let my mom borrow it cause I had the mp3's from the 10club on my phone. Last night at dinner,I asked her "Are you still listening to the new PJ album?" to which she replied "Every day! I have it on repeat and love so many of the songs."

You should've seen her face...I laughed. It'll be embarrassing if she knows more words than I do at the show. I can't lose my PJ cred to my mom haha.

hahahaha... Nice!

Bump...
  • Options
    I really hope you get your request bro. Especially for your mum.

I've seen PJ pretty much every time with my mum, in the UK, Germany and the US this year. its the absolute best

Join our gang, we are few in number but a solid crew :D
    http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=223363
    Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    I really hope you get your request bro. Especially for your mum.

I've seen PJ pretty much every time with my mum, in the UK, Germany and the US this year. its the absolute best

Join our gang, we are few in number but a solid crew :D
    http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=223363

Yeah..I made it in on page 2 of that post. :D
  • Options
    bump... Sleeping by myself
  • Options
    tonifig8 wrote:
    bump... Sleeping by myself

Thank you
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    Your story just gave me goosebumps...

I have a similar experience with Just Breathe and The End. (My father in-law died of cancer in 2006. When I hear The End, I hear his perspective, when i listen to Just Breathe, I hear me mother-in-laws perspective - lets "just breathe"...) When you experience these things up close, it changes your life. It's altering. So i am with you, my thoughts are with you and even though I am in cold and rainy Amsterdam, I hope that they will debut the song and sing it... It is a beautiful song that deserves its rightful place on the setlist.
  • Options
    I feel this is going to happen :D

• Options
    Sleeping by myself....
  • Options
    Only 6 more days!! Sorry, I'm excited!!