Options

Vs album for $25.99 real deal??

Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,772
edited April 2012 in The Porch
I'm in a record store. They have Vs for 25.99. Inner sleeve has liner notes similar to CD. Record sticker has track listing on it and a half black, half tan design.

First of all, I would NEVER EVER flip it. Is this the real original for sale on ebay for insane prices?? Did I find a gold mine??

Any sound differences between this and box? I have the Vs/Vitalogy set.

Pick or pass??

Edit -- It's an original! PJ fans are the best! It's mine!
Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I'm guessing this is the re-issue. My record store has all 3 re-issues for around this price (maybe, a bit more, but nothing that would make this shocking).

Not sure if you're thinking this is original pressing, but I doubt it. For the re-issue, this is the going rate for the album alone.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I'm guessing this is the re-issue. My record store has all 3 re-issues for around this price (maybe, a bit more, but nothing that would make this shocking).

Not sure if you're thinking this is original pressing, but I doubt it. For the re-issue, this is the going rate for the album alone.

bingo.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    It's open (obviously) and in a plastic case. No "special edition" sticker, but that doesn't imply anything.

:(

The only date is 1993...no 20xx like the box sets, which got me all excited that it's an original.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    landolando Posts: 661
    Sounds like the original to me. I finally just opened mine and the record sticker is exactly how you described it. Check pj collectors for varification but I'm 99% positive it's the original
    Edmonton 93, Vancouver 05, Vancouver 09, Edmonton 11, Vancouver 11
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    It's open (obviously) and in a plastic case. No "special edition" sticker, but that doesn't imply anything.

:(

feel the weight of the vinyl. the reissue was pressed on 180g vinyl & i believe it's 2 lp's. the original is on one LP.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
  • Options

Then get it. Worst case, you paid market value for a re-issue. You aren't going to find gold if you don't pan a few rocks along the way.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    check the label, if it's black, it's first pressing, if it's orange, it's reissue, if the vinyl comes inside a white jacket, it's the reissue... some first pressings have a black sticker stating Pearl Jam ONLY, and some Pearl Jam is printed on orange...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    The sticker in the middle of the vinyl was half black, half tan with a track listing on it. Gatefold sleeve. Liner notes were the scribbled lyrics on one side, four photos on the other side.

UPC symbol was printed on to sleeve. On the one I knew was a re-issue, it was a UPC sticker.

It said "Copyright 1993". The re-issue said "Copyright 1993, 2011."

The lady at the register mentioned "it's an original, so it's worth more" when I commented that it was an open package.

I bought that sucker for $27 or whatever, after tax. Score.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    From what you have described..its an orginal..so buy that baby if you dont have it.

about $30 is a good deal (hopefully its in great shape and plays through)...I think open ones go for about $40

Sealed ones are the ones going for $75 and up

Congrats on your find..enjoy
  • Options
    People ask crazy prices for stuff on the bay..but it never sells at those prices..a good way to check value is to look at completed listings..and see what people are really paying.

$27 is definitely a good deal, enjoy it.
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    You can also check the copy right date on the back. I believe the reissue has 2011 and 1993, but the original only has 1993 noted.
  • Options
    Red Lukin wrote:
    You can also check the copy right date on the back. I believe the reissue has 2011 and 1993, but the original only has 1993 noted.

That's what I did. ;) That's what triggered the initial "OMG!" warning bells in my head. I got all warm and excited and stuff.

(Not trying to be a jackass, but I mentioned such in the thread a few times.)
  • Options

And, for anyone who is wondering... the re-issue is a REMASTER "clean up the original" but NOT a remix.

FWIW, the Ten box set has:
    1) REMASTER
    2) REMIX
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited April 2012
    I'm in a record store. They have Vs for 25.99. Inner sleeve has liner notes similar to CD. Record sticker has track listing on it and a half black, half tan design.

First of all, I would NEVER EVER flip it. Is this the real original for sale on ebay for insane prices?? Did I find a gold mine??

Pick or pass??
    probably a Reissue (or the people at the record store are really stupid!). I just bought mine for $12 online a couple weeks ago. :)
    The reissues are good quality though, 180g.
    But it's easy to see if it's a first pressing. Just look for "Epic Z 53136" Should be on the spine. If it has that, then it's an original and you just found the greatest deal in vinyl history.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Pick or pass??
    Reissue. I just bought mine for $12 online a couple weeks ago. :)

Bzzzzzztttt.

:fp:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Pick or pass??
    Reissue. I just bought mine for $12 online a couple weeks ago. :)

Bzzzzzztttt.

:fp:
    :lol: I got it for a deal - Reissues of Ten, Vs, and Vitalogy - $36 including shipping for the 3. It was awesome. ;) But see my edit in my post... could be you scored, who knows. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    It did NOT say "SONY LEGACY"

It did say "Copyright 1993"
    It did NOT say 'Copyright 1993, 2011"

It was NOT an orange sticker in the middle of the vinyl.

The lady said it was an original, but I'm not taking her word entirely 100% seriously.

Read thread for more info.
  • Options

The lady said it was an original, but I'm not taking her word entirely 100% seriously.

Sorry - Epic Z 53136. If it says that, then original US pressing for sure. If that woman knows it's original and is selling it for that price she needs to get out of the record business. :lol:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Sorry - Epic Z 53136. If it says that, then original US pressing for sure. If that woman knows it's original and is selling it for that price she needs to get out of the record business. :lol:

On the contrary. She needs to sell me a Benny and 1991 single for $75 USD. :lol:

Yes. I can 100% CONFIRM "EPIC Z 536136" at the top of the spine.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

On the contrary. She needs to sell me a Benny and 1991 single for $75 USD. :lol:
    :lol: Yeah, no shit! Maybe you can find the PJ20 coloured vinyl there for a bargain too! ... See if they have 2, wouldya? ;)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    :lol: Yeah, no shit! Maybe you can find the PJ20 coloured vinyl there for a bargain too! ... See if they have 2, wouldya? ;)

Unfortunately, all they had left was

Sealed Live on Ten Legs
    --I already had the box set with record, CD, backstage pass replica, etc.

Sealed Versus Remaster (as I used it to compare to my ORIGINAL Versus, bwahahahahahaha)
    Sealed Vitalogy Remaster
    --I already have that super deluxe box set.
  • Options
    check the label, if it's black, it's first pressing, if it's orange, it's reissue, if the vinyl comes inside a white jacket, it's the reissue... some first pressings have a black sticker stating Pearl Jam ONLY, and some Pearl Jam is printed on orange...
    Original
    photo1-1.jpg

Reissue
    photo2-2.jpg

Pretty easy to tell apart
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Yes. I can 100% CONFIRM "EPIC Z 536136" at the top of the spine.
    :shock: Then you've got yourself a first pressing for $25 - congrats! I can't believe it. I hope something like that happens to me someday!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    :shock: Then you've got yourself a first pressing for $25 - congrats! I can't believe it. I hope something like that happens to me someday!

Yup. :shock: indeed.

:shock: times thirty, at least!

I totally, totally, stopped in on a 100% whim. I knew that any EV 7'" they MIGHT have got were long, long, long gone. (I don't think they got any at all, to be honest.) And actually, I don't think they have any 7" at all.

I was at the intersection to go park on the side street, and I was like "WTF? I'm not doing anything at all...hours and hours of free time ahead of me, I might as well. If anything, it's just fun to flip through the records and window shop."

I saw the opened Versus, I was like "Huh? That's odd." I saw it didn't have the "REMASTER" sticker on it and I was like "Ok...maybe it's already been played."

I opened it and looked at the vinyl, saw the half black, half white, and I was like... "wait.. I think mine is orange." Ok...this is...weird...good...wtf is this? MUST POST ON FORUM!!! AAHHHHH!!!!!

If I'm not mistaken, I think it's like $75 to $80 on ebay? NOT FLIPPING, JUST CURIOUS.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, I think it's like $75 to $80 on ebay? NOT FLIPPING, JUST CURIOUS.
    Thats high for an open copy..sealed ones around that price point is better. The reissues really lowered the price of originals that are open..Sealed ones retain their collectability value much better. IMO
  • Options
    MedozK wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Thats high for an open copy..sealed ones around that price point is better. The reissues really lowered the price of originals that are open..Sealed ones retain their collectability value much better. IMO

Assuming $25 (or so) or a sealed reissue... $75 (or so) for a sealed original... still, not a bad find at all. :D

$45-$50 maybe. Basically, a half-off deal at worst??
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    MedozK wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

That's true actually... the reissues made them way cheaper recently ( ... For some reason. Because the reissue certainly didn't make a sealed Vitalogy first pressing that much cheaper, so that's weird... Now when are Binaural, Riot Act, Yield, and Avocado being reissued?? I still need those and cannot afford them ($300 for Riot Act!!). :) But anyway, $25 for a first pressing is amazing!! And it will really gain value, if you care, unlike the reissues.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options

Assuming $25 (or so) or a sealed reissue... $75 (or so) for a sealed original... still, not a bad find at all. :D

$45-$50 maybe. Basically, a half-off deal at worst??
    I totally agree..great find
  • Options

Black sticker, eh?

Anyone have a photo?