Options

No Code, the greatest album of the last 20 years

NoCode1996NoCode1996 Posts: 75
edited January 2012 in The Porch
As the title says :D

Who else loves this stunning,amazing, beautiful album? Please discuss your opinions on it :thumbup:
Behind her eyes there's curtains and they've been closed to hide the flames. Remains.
She knows their futures burning but she can smile just the same. Same.
And though her mood is fine today there's a fear they'll soon be parting ways.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BrainOfMABrainOfMA Posts: 553
    I agree it's one of my favorites. Some amazing songs on it. Present Tense, is probably my favorite from No Code. One of the few albums were every song is just mindblowing
    2013 : London, Buffalo
    ShortyShorty Ontario Posts: 1,160
    I agree. I've been listening to it for the last couple days in the truck - and was thinking to myself how fucking solid this album is start to finish. It inspired me to change my profile icon!
    Your Disciples Are Riddled With Metaphors.

08/21/2009: Toronto, ON
    09/11/2011: Toronto, ON
    07/16/2013: London, ON
    10/12/2013: Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014: Detroit, MI
    05/08/2016: Ottawa, ON
    05/10/2016: Toronto, ON
    05/12/2016: Toronto, ON
    08/20/2016: Chicago, IL
    08/22/2016: Chicago, IL
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,990
    I think the first four songs on this album represent PJ to a tee.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Indi4enceIndi4ence Posts: 947
    its amazing, especially on vinyl. Of all the PJ albums this is my favorite to spin
  • Options
    YardenYarden Posts: 820
    an amazing album for sure. i can only hope the next PJ album will be half as good as No Code
  • Options
    swervedriverswervedriver Sheffield, UK Posts: 182
    Still remember the day i got it in 96 - loved it from day 1 and have never got tired of listening to it. Have heard every song live except Mankind - so lets hope its played in Europe this summer!
    No Code and Yield are my favourite albums, but No Code is great coz its so diverse
  • Options
    Definitely my favorite. I wish it got more love from the band in concert but it could be worse (see Binaural, Riot Act :lol: ). I'm so glad I got to see them twice in 1996 since it seems that they won't regularly play some of those songs again.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    this has been my favorite record of all time since i picked it up at a midnight sale the day it came out. i love everything about it...the mood, the energy, the artwork, the lyrics....stunning album.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    No Code is a masterpiece.
    It's pure art.
    From the outstanding artwork to the great songs, this record includes everything I love about this band.
    Plus, it has the fantastic Jack Irons on drums, who especially shines on Who You Are and In My Tree.
    No Code is an album without huge hits. But with Off He Goes, it includes the best Pearl Jam song ever
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    It's not even PJ's best album of the last 20 years.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    DewieCox wrote:

in your opinion :)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,696
    My go to album. Always amazing. I love the guitar tones and the warmth that comes through. They must have done something different than all the other albums in the recording process. If anyone had any insights into this, I would appreciate hearing it.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty Ontario Posts: 1,160
    Definitely my favorite. I wish it got more love from the band in concert but it could be worse (see Binaural, Riot Act :lol: ). I'm so glad I got to see them twice in 1996 since it seems that they won't regularly play some of those songs again.

lol - hey, I like Riot Act!

Everything here is opinion - isn't it?
    Your Disciples Are Riddled With Metaphors.

08/21/2009: Toronto, ON
    09/11/2011: Toronto, ON
    07/16/2013: London, ON
    10/12/2013: Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014: Detroit, MI
    05/08/2016: Ottawa, ON
    05/10/2016: Toronto, ON
    05/12/2016: Toronto, ON
    08/20/2016: Chicago, IL
    08/22/2016: Chicago, IL
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    No Code and Yield really benefited from Jack Irons.

When I first got No Code, I gave it a few spins and then it collected dust for almost three years ... it now stands to be one of my favorite records ever.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    mfc2006 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

in your opinion :)

No doubt, I just don't think it stands up as a collective piece as well as Vs, Yield or Binaural. Still pretty great and I like as many songs on No Code as any other PJ(or any other band) album.

There are some albums from Tool, Black Crowes, White Stripes and Them Crooked Vultures that stand firmly above No Code for me.
  • Options
    I agree. No Code is my favorite album so far. An unusual album, so different from one song to another. I like almost all the songs except Who You Are. It's not a question of words, just a matter of music.
    Otherwise, I really like Hail, Hail, Present Tense, In My Tree, Off He Goes, Smile, Mankind ...and I'm Open is very special.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die
    The in between is mine
    I am mine
  • Options
    RehabDoll wrote:
    I agree it's one of my favorites. Some amazing songs on it. Present Tense, is probably my favorite from No Code. One of the few albums were every song is just mindblowing

You have just inspired me to start listening again, it's been awhile since I've listened to it cover to cover.

Thanks
    Sydney Ent Centre: 10/03/1995

All the rusted signs we ignore thoughout our lives
    Choosing the shiny ones instead
  • Options
    Dirty MosquitoDirty Mosquito Chicago Posts: 621
    No Code and Yield are my favorite PJ albums. No Code just might be my favorite album of all time.
    Alpine Valley 06-13-99 [EV-Solo]
    Alpine Valley 10-8-00 (The Icebowl)
    Chicago 05-16-06, 05-17-06
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Chicago 08-22-08 [EV Solo]
    Chicago 08-23-09, 08-24-09
    Chicago 06-28-11, 06-29-11 [EV Solo]
    PJ20 Alpine Valley 09-03-11, 09-04-11
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
    Wrigley Field 08-20-16, 08-22-16
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,013
    No Code - it's what got me into PJ
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    It's a solid, very good album.

I value your opinion, but I have to politely disagree with you about it being the greatest album of the last 20 years.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Shorty wrote:

lol - hey, I like Riot Act!

Everything here is opinion - isn't it?

I was commenting on the band's refusal to play songs from those albums in concert, not my opinion of them. :)
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Jason P wrote:

When I first got No Code, I gave it a few spins and then it collected dust for almost three years ... it now stands to be one of my favorite records ever.

Agreed.
    I was just listening to Present Tense yesterday and just loving the sound that Jack got from his snare and toms.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    JACK
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    No Code is my favorite PJ album as well, with Yield being an extremely close second. As others have noted, it represents a diversity of musical styles. The album has a good flow to it with every song being absolutely incredible. Jack Irons is due utmost credit for his warm drum tones and incredibly hard to duplicate drumming style. Those who praise Dave Abbruzzese as being the obvious top PJ drummer, I can tell you from a drummer's p.o.v., Jack Irons is far beyond a superior drummer to Dave. It was nice to see basically half of No Code being played at Vancouver this past year. I wish more of it were played regularly. Those who adore No Code, I recommend the Vancouver 2011 boot, the No Code selection is worth it alone.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:

Agreed.
    I was just listening to Present Tense yesterday and just loving the sound that Jack got from his snare and toms.

His drum tones on Yield and No Code are fantastic.

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    This is the dividing line as to whether you really get this band it seems. Some people left them on this one.

I was actually supposed to play this vinyl New Years Eve or Day, but still waiting. I know it's stupid but I just got into vinyl last month and have been waiting for a special time / occasion to play it........but it's just how special this albumis to me.
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    No Code is my favorite PJ album as well, with Yield being an extremely close second. As others have noted, it represents a diversity of musical styles. The album has a good flow to it with every song being absolutely incredible. Jack Irons is due utmost credit for his warm drum tones and incredibly hard to duplicate drumming style. Those who praise Dave Abbruzzese as being the obvious top PJ drummer, I can tell you from a drummer's p.o.v., Jack Irons is far beyond a superior drummer to Dave. It was nice to see basically half of No Code being played at Vancouver this past year. I wish more of it were played regularly. Those who adore No Code, I recommend the Vancouver 2011 boot, the No Code selection is worth it alone.
    As a drummer also, I'll also agree with you about Jack being far superior than Dave (which isn't to knock Dave). Trying to play "In My Tree" on drums is tough and I still can't nail it.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    No Code was the first CD I ever bought, period. I resisted the move from vinyl as long as I could, couldn't have picked a better album to make the move with. Still wish I'd bought it on vinyl as well mind!
    And, yes, I still have (nearly) all my vinyl collection as well, much to my wifes annoyance.

I think I'll just stick it on now, thanks for the suggestion :D
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    As a drummer also, I'll also agree with you about Jack being far superior than Dave (which isn't to knock Dave). Trying to play "In My Tree" on drums is tough and I still can't nail it.

Nice to see another drummers appreciation for Jack. I'm actually not a fan of Dave's drumming on Vs in particular. I feel he relies too heavily on cymbal work and lacks the dynamics of Matt and Jack. His performance was far more solid and more of a natural feel on Vitalogy, but I wish Jack would have been on those two albums. I suppose his performance on Vs is far from lackluster, but subjectively I just don't care for his style. Not to mention how the band felt about him, Ed in particular.

• Options
    frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    It's a wonderful album, no argument (on the 'phones right now) but greatest of the last 20 years? Let me get back to you.