Options

Classic Rock Magazine - Pearl Jam 'Ten' special

boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
edited August 2011 in The Porch
I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this but in this months Classic Rock mag there is a free special mag "Pearl Jam 20th Anniversary Special: The Making Of Ten"

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news ... le-now-14/
2000: Manchester
2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
2007: London
2009: Manchester
2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    Cool, will have to pick that mag up somewhere! Sounds like a good read for my 3 hour train ride tonight. :)
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    PilateOfTheStormPilateOfTheStorm Posts: 4,319
    aaaah looks like a good issue :D
    will have to get it, some great stuff in there
    thanks for sharing
  • Options
    A friend told me yesterday, he'd bought the mag but didn't want the PJ mag with it so asked did I want it Then I saw the mag in HMV today. Its a fiver

• Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    boyo79 wrote:
    A friend told me yesterday, he'd bought the mag but didn't want the PJ mag with it so asked did I want it Then I saw the mag in HMV today. Its a fiver

Brilliant - I'll look out for that. Thanks
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    Picked this up today from WHSmiths

Have just skimmed through so far, but looks very very cool! They've gone to some trouble - much better than most of the crap I've seen on Pearl Jam in music magazines here in the last number of years.

I'm not the world's best photographer, but have taken some snaps to give the impression - would be quite hard for me to photo the whole thing for people to read - I think it's about 20 pages.

IMG-20110528-00019-1.jpg?t=1306610842

IMG-20110528-00021.jpg?t=1306610951

IMG-20110528-00020-1.jpg?t=1306610898

• Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    thanks for the heads up, will check it out next week
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    OwlOwl Posts: 1,062
    I'd gladly send some money in if any of you, kind British people bought one copy for me, please.
    I'd really like to have one of those. Anybody willing to do so?
  • Options
    Owl wrote:
    I'd gladly send some money in if any of you, kind British people bought one copy for me, please.

pm me your address, I'll get you one. That makes two orders now - I think that's my limit though! :D

• Options
    PilateOfTheStormPilateOfTheStorm Posts: 4,319
    oooh that looks cool, thanks for posting pictures tremors :)

will pick that up, hopefully the rest of the mag is good too
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    tremors wrote:
    Owl wrote:

pm me your address, I'll get you one. That makes two orders now - I think that's my limit though! :D
    8-)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    oooh that looks cool, thanks for posting pictures tremors :)

will pick that up, hopefully the rest of the mag is good too

There's quite a lot of writing, and quite a few pictures of Eddie looking hot for you ;). I've not had the chance to read it through yet - I think you need to read the story from start to finish for it to make sense.

The whole main 14 page piece is written by Mick Wall, who if I remember right has done at least one book on Pearl Jam, which I have definitely read, but probably about 15 years ago - so I can't remember much about it. I seem to remember it was one of the better books around back then, could be wrong though - you have probably read it, and more recently than me PilateOfTheStorm!

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Owl wrote:

8-)

8-)

See, us Brits do have our uses Dimi.

I will try and read through the whole thing tomorrow, and give you my verdict - it's pretty nice to pick up such a substantial piece on Pearl Jam in the mainstream UK music media though - really can't remember the last time that happened. PJ20 is obviously making some sort of impression.

• Options
    Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    I'm gonna be in the UK the weekend of 4/5 June, recon it will still be in the shops then?
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • Options
    Mikee J wrote:
    I'm gonna be in the UK the weekend of 4/5 June, recon it will still be in the shops then?

Is possible - I don't know when it came out, but it is a monthly magazine and they have weird cycles don't they?

I was trying to think of where I knew the name of the writer Mick Wall from, and then remembered he was quite a prominent writer for magazines - writing about grunge, including Pearl Jam in the early 90s I think. I swear his name used to pop up a lot. Seems he is also the editor of Classic Rock magazine now. I will have to give his thing a proper read - I doubt it will say much that is not known to the rabid Pearl Jam fans here - but is probably a good thing to read for people who are not so obsessed with the band as we are!

• Options
    SG GhazSG Ghaz Posts: 148
    tremors wrote:
    I was trying to think of where I knew the name of the writer Mick Wall from

GN'R - Get In The Ring :D:lol:

Anyway, I subscribe to CR, and it's a good read. Haven't gotten this issue yet, tho. And you can buy their issues here: http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/music/classic-rock-magazine-back-issues/Classic-Rock-Jul-11.html
    Manchester & London 2009
    Dublin, Belfast & Werchter 2010
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 & Oslo 2012
  • Options
    ScottRose wrote:
    tremors wrote:
    I was trying to think of where I knew the name of the writer Mick Wall from

GN'R - Get In The Ring :D:lol:

I googled him, I swear he used to write pieces about Pearl Jam for some of the US magazines too, like Rolling Stone, but I couldn't find much about that.

This is from his own website bio though, which I found funny:

1993 - 95
    ... RAW magazine, where I am roundly loathed by all the staff (bar the editor, my old mucker Jon Hotten) for daring to write stories that help the magazine sell enough copies to keep them all in jobs. They are all music fans and think they are somehow in the music business. They are not. They are in the magazine business - just.

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I'll have to check to see if Barnes and Noble got this. Thanks for posting this!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,710
    Mikee J wrote:

For sure, it only came out this week
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,710
    As for the British press I was pretty stunned to see very very positive reviews in 4 magazines of ukulele songs - including kerrang and Q. Seems the writer of both has a huge respect for Eddie
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    its alright!
    danny d
  • Options
    Yeah, I read this last night - and whilst it was a pretty good read, and nice to read something 'in-depth' about Pearl Jam coming in the mainstream media, which is positive about the band and takes their legacy seriously, I had a few reservations.

Firstly, I think the title 'The Making of Ten' is a bit misleading - it is really a story about the band's formative years, coming together, going on to record Ten, and describing some of the experiences around that time - it doesn't really provide any new insights into the actual making of the album. It is probably not a bad thing to read for people who have an interest in Pearl Jam, but may not have read much about the formative years.

Secondly, I couldn't help thinking that in telling this story, it can't really compete with this amazing history from twofeethick: '1990: The Making of Pearl Jam' - a tft mini book.

http://www.twofeetthick.com/2010/10/199 ... mini-book/

So overall, my verdict is I am pleased to see something lengthy and atmospheric about Pearl Jam on the newstands - that is great - and it was an atmospheric read. People interested in this period though can find a lot of great stuff out there in the non commercial internet writing within the Pearl Jam website networks - not least this tft mini book above.

Good fun though

• Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    As for the British press I was pretty stunned to see very very positive reviews in 4 magazines of ukulele songs - including kerrang and Q. Seems the writer of both has a huge respect for Eddie

Yeah it's funny how the media here seem to go in waves - of falling in and out of love with Pearl Jam - and their reactions don't always seem to have much to do with the quality of the music at that time. I'm not saying that is the case here - I will look out for some of those reviews. I'm always pleased though when the British press give Pearl Jam and Eddie a fair shot - having been so hostile at certain times in the band's career.

• Options
    OwlOwl Posts: 1,062
    tremors wrote:
    Owl wrote:

Thanks a lot for your generous offer, tremors!
    PM just sent :)

tremors wrote:
    Secondly, I couldn't help thinking that in telling this story, it can't really compete with this amazing history from twofeethick: '1990: The Making of Pearl Jam' - a tft mini book.

http://www.twofeetthick.com/2010/10/199 ... mini-book/

That reminded me I had submitted my email to receive one of those and never seen anything.
    Fortunately, the pdf file is still available.
    Thanks a lot for your review and suggestions ;)
  • Options
    If anyone wants an extra copy PM me and I will pick it up tomorrow when I go to get Ed's album & dvd :D

• Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    just picked mine up yesterday, but just wanted to say also, in the main magazine did anyone spot the eddie vedders song, think it was dream a little dream is number 3 on their heavy rotation playlist. nothing important, just wanted to say.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Hey so is this the June mag? I went into the mag shop here today & the latest mag they had was May I think & jeez, I can't remember what it had on the cover but it was like in a cardboard envelope & there wasn't a bonus mag. I guess it might take a couple of weeks to get here, I'll check again later. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    Hey so is this the June mag? I went into the mag shop here today & the latest mag they had was May I think & jeez, I can't remember what it had on the cover but it was like in a cardboard envelope & there wasn't a bonus mag. I guess it might take a couple of weeks to get here, I'll check again later. :)

According to the cover it is the 'July 2011' mag. It has Maiden on the cover, and comes in a sealed bag, which has PJ references quite prominently. You'll know it when you see it!

• Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    tremors wrote:
    morello wrote:

According to the cover it is the 'July 2011' mag. It has Maiden on the cover, and comes in a sealed bag, which has PJ references quite prominently. You'll know it when you see it!

Ah cool. Thnx. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    i read it last night

he got eddie's birthday wrong! :o

but it was a cool read, some cool pictures too ;)
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,848
    *ordered!!! :D:D:D