edited August 2009 in The Porch
FEATURES - HEADLINES
PEARL JAM ON
Jonathan Cohen
PRINT
8 August 2009
Billboard

Preparing To Tour:

Matt Cameron: "I've got my list going. Last summer we played 'Who You Are' and 'WMA' and things like that. I think we're going to continue with some of those Jack Irons-era songs, which have been really fun for me to play. Then 'Rival,' and I'd like Stone to do 'Mankind.' For the upcoming shows, if we can play 'The Fixer' and maybe a couple other new ones, I think that'd be fun."

Playing Matt Cameron's Songs:

Stone Gossard: " 'Johnny Guitar' is almost an homage to Elvis Costello in terms of Ed's phrasing. That is another Matt Cameron song with a crazy beat, but Ed glues it together with his vocal melody. It never feels uncomfortable, because he winds this story all the way through it. He doesn't let you think too much about the odd time signature. He found the right path to make it not too complex."

Shopping At Target

Cameron: "The first thing that sprung to my mind was, 'As a parent, do we shop there?' It's affordable and stylish. I always like going there. I'm not a big shopper, so for me to actually like a store is really saying something. That was my first practical reaction: 'Hey, I shop at Target!' "

Their Favorite Bootlegs

Eddie Vedder: "Bruce Springsteen, 'Piece de Resistance.' I just gave it away to the guy who runs Easy Street in West Seattle. The first time I saw him was '77, I think. I saw him on 'The River,' so that was '81? He played 'Trapped' and it took me a while to track down a version of the song."

Balancing Art And Commerce

Gossard: "Trying to balance in your business, in terms of where you are trying to make money and how you do it, with how to be an artist, and how to be philanthropic and good for the whole, it's not a perfect equation. This is a one-off deal, so we'll see what transpires next time. The way I look at it, Wal-Mart is twice as big as Target, so we're supporting the No. 2 guy."
Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    Matt Cameron: "I've got my list going. Last summer we played 'Who You Are' and 'WMA' and things like that. I think we're going to continue with some of those Jack Irons-era songs, which have been really fun for me to play. Then 'Rival,' and I'd like Stone to do 'Mankind.' For the upcoming shows, if we can play 'The Fixer' and maybe a couple other new ones, I think that'd be fun."
    :o:o:o:o:o
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    On the one hand Matt Cameron has written some awful songs. on the other, he just said he's GOING TO PLAY MORE JACK IRONS ERA SONGS!!!!!! So he sounds pretty cool to me. Does this mean more than one In My Tree per tour?!!
  • Options
    benjs wrote:
    :o:o:o:o:o

Exactly. I would love to hear the first three songs, not so sure about Mankind, and definitely some new tunes.

The Stone quote on Johnny Guitar has me very interested indeed.
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    I would love to cross Rival and Mankind off of my "never heard live" list :)
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    8 August 2009
    Billboard

Isn't today the 5th? Are you sure you're not putting one over on us with the Jack Irons stuff? ;)
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    Thanks for posting and glad to hear that they might play more Jack Iron's era songs, i.e. No Code & Yield.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I would love to cross Rival and Mankind off of my "never heard live" list :)

exactly my thoughts.
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,921
    HeavyHands wrote:
    8 August 2009
    Billboard

Isn't today the 5th? Are you sure you're not putting one over on us with the Jack Irons stuff? ;)

I have a news service at work where it pulls from various sources. I have a PJ related search where PJ stuff gets e-mailed to me. I post what I receive. Oftentimes a periodical is dated in the future. I've noticed that many times. This post wasn't on their website. I think it was transcribed from their magazine which may have that date.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    I have a news service at work where it pulls from various sources.

Just playin'! Thanks a lot for posting that story. There are some pretty neat little nuggets in there. ;)
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Nice, 2 matt songs on the album. Just as long as the other isn't like Get Right.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Balancing Art And Commerce

Gossard: "Trying to balance in your business, in terms of where you are trying to make money and how you do it, with how to be an artist, and how to be philanthropic and good for the whole, it's not a perfect equation. This is a one-off deal, so we'll see what transpires next time. The way I look at it, Wal-Mart is twice as big as Target, so we're supporting the No. 2 guy."

i wonder if the "pearl jam are sellouts" children will read this and comprehend it
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,750
    I'd love to hear Mankind in Chicago.
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    norm wrote:
    i wonder if the "pearl jam are sellouts" children will read this and comprehend it
    I'm not really on either side of this one - the whole Target thing weirds me out, but in all fairness for every quote that the band puts a spin on you can find one that makes them look like sellouts. I'm just saying - playing the quote game won't convince people that PJ is doing this for anything other than their bank account. On the other hand, the quotes about how now they'll get $5/cd won't convince those who think PJ can kill babies and be without blame. :)
  • Options
    Jack Irons era songs, eh? Whale Song with Mike on lead vox.

Good times.
  • Options
    Jack Irons era songs, eh? Whale Song with Mike on lead vox.

Good times.

:lol:
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Matt Cameron: "I've got my list going. Last summer we played 'Who You Are' and 'WMA' and things like that. I think we're going to continue with some of those Jack Irons-era songs, which have been really fun for me to play. Then 'Rival,' and I'd like Stone to do 'Mankind.' For the upcoming shows, if we can play 'The Fixer' and maybe a couple other new ones, I think that'd be fun."/

Which Jack Irons-era songs have they not played really? I'm thinking just a few...

No Way
    Mankind
    Pilate
    Push Me Pull Me
    In My Tree
    Habit
    All Those Yesterdays

I'm sure I'm missing some b-sides, etc... I would love to see some more All Those Yesterdays and In My Tree though. And Pilate and In My Tree too. Oh.. I'll take all of them.
  • Options
    pearlhawkpearlhawk Posts: 631
    drsluggo wrote:
    Matt Cameron: "I've got my list going. Last summer we played 'Who You Are' and 'WMA' and things like that. I think we're going to continue with some of those Jack Irons-era songs, which have been really fun for me to play. Then 'Rival,' and I'd like Stone to do 'Mankind.' For the upcoming shows, if we can play 'The Fixer' and maybe a couple other new ones, I think that'd be fun."/

Which Jack Irons-era songs have they not played really? I'm thinking just a few...

No Way
    Mankind
    Pilate
    Push Me Pull Me
    In My Tree
    Habit
    All Those Yesterdays

I'm sure I'm missing some b-sides, etc... I would love to see some more All Those Yesterdays and In My Tree though. And Pilate and In My Tree too. Oh.. I'll take all of them.

+1 for All Those Yesterdays.

-Pearlhawk.

Looking for two 10c tickets for either Chicago show!
    -Pearlhawk.

Kansas City 5/3/2010
    St. Louis 5/4/2010
    St. Louis 7/1/2011 (EV Solo)
    East Troy 9/3/2011
    East Troy 9/4/2011
    Wrigley Field 7/19/2013
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    rival!!!
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    Got to see Rival at Boston II...great tune live. My favorite version is from New Orleans 2000. I'd like to see more Habit in the mix as well...got to see it in Kitchener...what a treat!
  • Options
    smobeesmobee Valparaiso Indiana Posts: 178
    Who You Are is on top of my list of songs I have yet to hear live. Never see to much love for it around here but I love that song! I think it would be cool to see Stone do Mankind at least once. How about they have Stone sing Local H's song Eddie Vedder. That would be hilarious.
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,351
    can we get a link? cant find it on the site.

so...
    Gonna See My Friends (Vedder)
    Got Some (McCready/Vedder)
    The Fixer (Cameron/Vedder)
    Johnny Guitar (Cameron/Vedder)
    Just Breathe (Vedder)
    Amongst The Waves (Gossard/Vedder)
    Unthougt Known (Vedder)
    Supersonic (Ament/Vedder)
    Speed Of Sound (Vedder)
    Force Of Nature (Ament/Vedder)
    The End (Vedder)
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    smobee wrote:
    Who You Are is on top of my list of songs I have yet to hear live. Never see to much love for it around here but I love that song! I think it would be cool to see Stone do Mankind at least once. How about they have Stone sing Local H's song Eddie Vedder. That would be hilarious.
    its cool live. it sounds a little different now but i likes it.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Rossum20 wrote:
    Got to see Rival at Boston II...great tune live. My favorite version is from New Orleans 2000. I'd like to see more Habit in the mix as well...got to see it in Kitchener...what a treat!

I was in New Orleans in 2000. Quite a nice version of Rival. Glad to say I was there in the fourth row.

Habit from the No Code tour in 1996 was a real kick in the head, too. They should replace Lukin with Habit in the setlists more frequently.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,509
    Only a couple of new ones???

:(
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    drsluggo wrote:

No Way
    Mankind
    Pilate
    Push Me Pull Me
    In My Tree
    Habit
    All Those Yesterdays

+ 1 for No Way, Pilate and FUCKING PUSH ME PULL ME! FUCK YEAH!
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    The only way I could see them doing "Push Me, Pull Me" live is if they tag it at the end of "Daughter".
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,298
    tcaporale wrote:
    The only way I could see them doing "Push Me, Pull Me" live is if they tag it at the end of "Daughter".

That would be just fine with me. I think "Push Me, Pull Me" is woefully underappreciated.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,921
    tcaporale wrote:

That would be just fine with me. I think "Push Me, Pull Me" is woefully underappreciated.

I agree. I'll take it in any form. I like that song. A lot.
  • Options
    KinseyKinsey Posts: 197
    Saw Hail Hail, In My Tree, Lukin, Mankind (Stone Gossard's European vocal debut!), Habit, Who You Are and Off He Goes in Dublin in '96.

Great to have seen them on that tour.
    When we found the things we loved,
    They were crushed and dying in the dirt.
    We tried to pick up the pieces,
    And get away without getting hurt,
    But they caught us at the state line,
    And burned our cars in one last fight,
    And left us running burned and blind,
    Chasing something in the night.
  • Options
    Just saw the new billboard cover sitting in my coffee shop. Gonna buy it at lunch.
    Got completely stoked seeing them on the cover. Nice start of the day!
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra