Options

New Orleans Recommendations

reyrey Monmouth County, NJ Posts: 270
I'm heading to New Orleans with my wife to celebrate our anniversary the first week in November. I'm looking for recommendations for restaurants (we're on somewhat of a budget, so don't want to break the bank), bars, places for live music, and any other interesting suggestions. We are staying near the French Quarter and are only there for 3 nights so we don't have a lot of time to really explore too deeply. It's been 20+ years since I've been to New Orleans so I can definitely use some recommendations. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Stay off the main strip of Bourbon street.

I was there a few years ago and found a few small restaurants that were amazing!  There is a nice steakhouse called "chops" if it is still there.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,547
    I second the recommendation to stay off Bourbon Street.
    But do one 30 minute lap of it and that's all you need.
    The best bars and restaurants are not on Bourbon  Street.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Mr. B's if you can spring for one fancy dinner.

Domilise's, Willie Mae's, Central Grocery, so goddamn much awesome
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    edited October 2018
    Willie Maes for chicken
    Mother's for theFerdi
    Galatoires is my personal favorite for the one expensive meal (they have a coat for you if you are not bringing one)
    Your lady will like beignets at Cafe du Monde with the rest of the women tourists.  :)

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Felix's > ACME
  • Options
    Felix's > ACME
    Your head is up your ass again, Cliffy.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Never went to Felix's - honestly, ACME wasn't anything amazing
    I am spoiled by my trips to Louisiana 1-2 per year and hitting the fishing camp with my buddies.  We get a giant sack of oysters from the boat and go wild.
    (Leaving Thursday for 2018 Trip #2!)

• Options
    dankind said:
    Felix's > ACME
    Your head is up your ass again, Cliffy.
    It's a fact.
  • Options
    I am spoiled by my trips to Louisiana 1-2 per year and hitting the fishing camp with my buddies.  We get a giant sack of oysters from the boat and go wild.

As I always say...go f yourself.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,106
    It's been so long since I've been to New Orleans that I couldn't recommend any restaurants. There is a shop, Cohen & Sons, on Royal St that is pretty cool. They have antique weapons, old money, and other things of that ilk. Fascinating to go browse.
  • Options

As I always say...go f yourself.
    Haha.   Will spare some of the finer details from this trip, don't want to make you too crazy.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Willie Maes for chicken
    Mother's for theFerdi
    Galatoires is my personal favorite for the one expensive meal (they have a coat for you if you are not bringing one)
    Your lady will like beignets at Cafe du Monde with the rest of the women tourists.  :)

No jacket required at Mr. B's, and the BBQ shrimp there is bonkers.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Sounds yummy
  • Options
    Lol.
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    Cochon Butcher is utterly amazing. Was the highlight of my last visit.

If you're into the muffuletta sandwiches, Central Grocery is a must. Fair warning the full sandwich is approximately the size of a wheel of cheese.

There's so much food happening there.  If left unchecked, I could probably eat myself to death in New Orleans.

Also, check out one of the cemeteries. We went to St. Louis #1. Kind of a touristy thing to do, but I found it interesting. Was fairly cheap as well.

• Options
    reyrey Monmouth County, NJ Posts: 270

Thanks all for the above.

• Options
    Make sure you try some Boudin when you are down there!
  • Options
    oceana for decent cajun inspired food at good prices. just off bourbon
    best fried chicken at coop's place. a hole in the wall but worth it
    court of two sisters for sunday brunch-book ahead for a patio(outside) amazing buffet
    stanley's by jackson square for the best bananas foster french toast. to die for
    the red fish grill on bourbon
    for FUN check out the bayou club on bourbon. amazing local zydeco music. great drinking music !!
  • Options
    court of two sisters for sunday brunch-book ahead for a patio(outside) amazing buffet
    stanley's by jackson square for the best bananas foster french toast. to die for
    for FUN check out the bayou club on bourbon. amazing local zydeco music. great drinking music !!
    Great call on the boudin @tempo_n_groove
    Coop's is good, and still serves food late-night.  Forgot about that for chicken but it is really good.

• Options
    Great call on the boudin @tempo_n_groove
    Coop's is good, and still serves food late-night.  Forgot about that for chicken but it is really good.

+1 on Stanley's bananas foster french toast. The benedicts are good there, too.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    I like Stanley's.  Good bloodies too go along with a nice breakfast on a hangover.
  • Options
    Do NOT go to Pat O's patio and drink 4-5 hurricanes in the sun.
  • Options
    Likewise for taste testing mint juleps at every bar up and down bourbon st 
  • Options
    Word
  • Options
    Word
    I hope a piranha bites your little prick off this weekend, you sonofabitch 
  • Options
    cannabis lollipops everywhere. look for the van with the line ups around it and the green leaves painted on the van...hard to miss!
    if not go to the 1st frozen drink place on bourbon(south side) and ask the guy that smells like high test and is wearing a cannabis hat...he will help u    ;)
  • Options
    Word
    We no longer include N'awlins in the routine.  20+ times in the city and we always feel even worse heading out.  If we are going to get together and act like morons as people arrive at the airport all night on Thursday before heading out to the Bayou in the morning we finally figured out we might as well fly into Lafayette and meet at one of our buddy's houses or at a bar there. 
    My big prick is gator bait.
  • Options
    Word
    We no longer include N'awlins in the routine.  20+ times in the city and we always feel even worse heading out.  If we are going to get together and act like morons as people arrive at the airport all night on Thursday before heading out to the Bayou in the morning we finally figured out we might as well fly into Lafayette and meet at one of our buddy's houses or at a bar there. 
    Yeah...I know.  Hence the piranha...not many of those on bourbon st, though not sure there are many in the bayou either.  Regardless, I hope you have a horrible time hahaha.
  • Options
    Word
    Yeah...I know.  Hence the piranha...not many of those on bourbon st, though not sure there are many in the bayou either.  Regardless, I hope you have a horrible time hahaha.
    I will be sure to report back atcha.