Options

"Hypocrisy at its finest" - Ticketmaster

13»

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    Oh....and another TicketBastard story from me (see Tweedy story above):
    Decided to drop $200 a ticket to see Fleetwood Mac in Sacramento in 2014 (I think the year is right)....I wanted to check it off the musical bucket list and figured that I would not see them twice (especially at that price).  A couple of days before the show, Stevie Nicks got the sniffles and cancelled the show--thanks for that.  A sold out show....Ticketbastard sends out an email indicating that they will refund the ticket price....but that does not include the handling charge, which was nearly $20 per ticket.  15,000 tickets sold....let's consevatively say that TB got fees on 10,000---they made $200,000+ on fees for a show that never occurred....that should cover the cost of printing up those tickets and sending them out.....it is a total racket all the way across the board.  I long for the days when I had to call in to get my PJ tickets directly.....
    I am shocked they are allowed to do that. I figured they would be required to refund the total amount if the show was cancels. The 2 cents it takes to print a ticket (not $20) is just cost of business. They'l make it back on the 99% of shows that aren't canceled. 
    Fleetwood was on my bucket list, until Christie left. I like her songs more that Stevie, she;s the diamond in the rough for that band. Great singer and member to the band, but always overshadowed by stevie. 
  • Options
    1upstate1upstate near Syracuse NY Posts: 201
    1upstate said:
    What artists should do is price their tickets at close to market prices.   Would you pay $500 for a first 10 rows seat to a PJ show?  I would. 
    dividing up pearl jam fans at shows into the ones that can afford $500 tickets and the ones that can't goes against everything PJ want. IMO

they have been one of the few bands that don't tier ticket prices(other than lawns) and i will say that their policy on this is what sets them apart from many other. it is just ONE of the many reasons why i love them.

and would i pay $500 to see PJ in the first ten rows? not a chance in hell! 
    My question is hypothetical , 110% hypothetical. 

PJ also doesn't typically perform unless 10C gets a pile of tickets either and they make scalping more difficult with the electronic tickets. 

However, when bands start doing "premium" or VIP tickets, then regular priced tickets, AND this platinum bullshit its a manipulation of the supply of good tickets, ESPECIALLY "platinum" - What they do is take previously unreleased tickets and raise the prices 2-3x cause of "market prices"  So you might be able to get a ticket mid way under a pavilion roof for $105 fees included  at on sale date. An hour after all of the seats are sold out, they release tickets right next to those $105 tickets for $325... I watched them do it with many artists this past summer. 

No, PJ doesn't do these things. BUT fans and 10C members sell tickets. Look how much pits were for Wrigley on stub hub, over $1,000.  I would pay a premium for great PJ seats. I'll never get them through 10C, letting my membership lapse hurts...  
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine"
  • Options
    Here's the other issue:
    25,000 seats.
    2500 to fan club.
    10000 to season ticket holders who scalp in order to afford their season tickets.
    XXXX to other presales (certain credit card, passwords that get shared, VIP friends of the band, radio stations etc.)

What is that, maybe 11500 AT BEST to the general public? Of course the bots make things worse, but maybe 35000 people are trying for a fraction of the total capacity...throw the bots into the mix...

When they say "tickets on sale at 10AM" and people assume that's even above 80% of the venue... I'd like to know what that percentage actually is.
    Add in the venue, band, and promoter allotment. Plus any presale for credit cards etc. I've heard its as low as 10-20% of the tickets are available.
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    mace1229 said:
    The 2 cents it takes to print a ticket (not $20) is just cost of business. They'l make it back on the 99% of shows that aren't canceled. 
    I can't believe I'm defending Ticketmaster.  But their fees do not just cover "printing a ticket".  Technology costs money. Employees cost money. Health insurance costs money.  Advertising costs money.  I have to imagine that part of the fee goes towards other things than printing a ticket.

That said, I still hate Ticketmaster and think they are evil fuckers.  But....the "business sense" side of me just kicked in.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Milestone said:
    mace1229 said:
    The 2 cents it takes to print a ticket (not $20) is just cost of business. They'l make it back on the 99% of shows that aren't canceled. 
    I can't believe I'm defending Ticketmaster.  But their fees do not just cover "printing a ticket".  Technology costs money. Employees cost money. Health insurance costs money.  Advertising costs money.  I have to imagine that part of the fee goes towards other things than printing a ticket.

That said, I still hate Ticketmaster and think they are evil fuckers.  But....the "business sense" side of me just kicked in.
    You aren't defending.  You are explaining.  :wink:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    AndySlash said:
    what if i need to go to the bathroom? my buddy is showing up later, too, fyi.
    Wear adult diapers, and your buddy is SOL.  Fyi.

;)