Options

Let Stone Write

Since the band is so open to requests from here, and since they are headed to the studio, and since it’s been far too long since Stone got to “get in there and do his thing”...
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young

Comments

• Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,186
    :lol: I love how we all frame it like Stone isn’t being “allowed” to sing, write, whatever the cause is.

I agree though - more Stone everywhere!! Let The Records Play!!
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    Well the formula for Ten was mainly Stone writes the riffs, Mike solos, Eddie sings (no guitar). Then they’ve made 9 records where everyone writes, and Stone tends to write less than anyone. I think the freshest thing they can do at this point is try the Ten formula and see what happens.
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    You know, that’d be interesting to see an album as you stated almost 30 years later. 
  • Options
    StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    edited September 2018
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QvuLTJrf_4Y

Watch this interview with Chad Smith. At 26:00 Stone starts talking about how he loves to writes riffs and how many he writes. Then he starts saying how everyone in PJ writes and he is lucky to get two songs on an album. Then he looks away from the camera and at 27:30 there is a hard edit in the interview. Like Stone asked for a break after talking about that. Watch it and you tell me.
    Post edited by StuffnJunk on
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,186
    Well the formula for Ten was mainly Stone writes the riffs, Mike solos, Eddie sings (no guitar). Then they’ve made 9 records where everyone writes, and Stone tends to write less than anyone. I think the freshest thing they can do at this point is try the Ten formula and see what happens.
    I would be all for this.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,117

Then he looks away from the camera and at 27:30 there is a hard edit in the interview. Like Stone asked for a break after talking about that. 
    You are hilarious.
    Stone should demand a double album. 
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • Options
    Stone is like the George Harrison of Pearl Jam.  And George was always my favorite Beatle :)
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,771

Watch this interview with Chad Smith. At 26:00 Stone starts talking about how he loves to writes riffs and how many he writes. Then he starts saying how everyone in PJ writes and he is lucky to get two songs on an album. Then he looks away from the camera and at 27:30 there is a hard edit in the interview. Like Stone asked for a break after talking about that. Watch it and you tell me.
    Someone or ones came in the room during this part of the video and clearly was creating a distraction. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    A conspiracy theorist, eh? Yeah, I see now there is someone else in the room, that could be why Stone is distracted and the edit happens.

Regardless, Stone says he basically writes a riff every week, and the only one we’ve heard this decade is Let the Records Play.
  • Options
    A conspiracy theorist, eh? Yeah, I see now there is someone else in the room, that could be why Stone is distracted and the edit happens.

Regardless, Stone says he basically writes a riff every week, and the only one we’ve heard this decade is Let the Records Play.
    Which is a not a good song  :s
  • Options
    Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952

Watch this interview with Chad Smith.
    I have never seen this, it is great!
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options

Well he’s got plenty more riffs that Ed can work with. That’s the one that was chosen. Plus I think the lyrics and melodies are the weak part of that song, so that’s on Ed, not Stone.
  • Options
    Stone also wrote parts of Infallible and Pendulum. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,771

Conspiracy theorist?  Not really following.  All I was saying is nothing really is happening there other than someone being distracting in the background.

Stone co-wrote the music to Pendulum and Infalliable as well.  

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    PB11041 said:

Conspiracy theorist?  Not really following.  All I was saying is nothing really is happening there other than someone being distracting in the background.

It was what’s called a joke.
  • Options
    StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    edited September 2018
    Sure he writes parts of songs. I’m saying we need an album full of Stone riffs, like Ten. Not just songs he plays bongos on or whatever.
  • Options

Disagree completely! Those handclaps when the chorus comes around are gold! 
    1996-09.22; 1998-06.14,07.02,07.13,07.14,08.17,08.18; 2000-08.18,08.20,10.11,10.27,10.28; 2003-04.23,04.26,06.18,06.19,06.22; 2004-10.02,10.03,10.05; 2006-05.16,05.17,05.19,05.20,06.23,06.24; 2007-08.05; 2009-08.23,08.24,09.28,10.31; 2010-05.06,05.07; 2011-09.03,09.04; 2013-07.19; 2014-10.01; 2016-04.26,08.20,08.22; 2018-08.18, 08.20; 2022-09.17; 2023-09.05, 09.07; 2024-TBD! 
  • Options
    Sure he writes parts of songs. I’m saying we need an album full of Stone riffs, like Ten. Not just songs he plays bongos on or whatever.
    I think you are viewing Ten in the wrong light. Songs like Alive were already parts of other songs from previous bands. I believe Ed wrote the jist of release and porch. Jeff wrote the jist of why go and Jeremy. Stone was a more driving force back then but they were and are a product of each other. You can sit there and play that evenflow riff til the cows come home. The sum of five makes it amazing. 

I am with you in that I think Stone is the best creator of the five, but he admittedly has wrote simpler songs recently so they will be easily replicated live. I wish he would reverse that stance as I think he’s at his best when he is producing well thought out parts. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,981

nah
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana