Options

It's been a while . . .

. . . since I've come here and posted about one of my passions, donating blood.  This is a critical time of year for blood, a lot of shortages.  Please consider donating if you can, 1-800-Red-Cross.  The Red Cross is currently running a campaign "missing types"  We can't do it without A, B and O.  People need blood every day all across the country, right now less than 5% of the population supply this entire country with blood products.  I understand some can't donate, what I don't understand is those that can, don't.  Please consider donating, trust me, I was petrified the first time I did it.  Since I got over my trepidation, I've donated 115 times.  It's a way to help others and all it costs you is an hour or so of your time.  And you get cookies!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AarFlOcpprs&feature=player_embedded

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    Great reminder, PureandEasy!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    Yes great reminder thanks I work in a hospital I donate there ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Stab it down one way needle 
    Pulled so slowly 
    Drains and spills, soaks the pages fills their sponges
    It's my blood 
    It's my blood
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    I donated blood forever....until I got cancer and did all the chemo.

I may be eligible again. I gotta check.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    I used to enjoy donating blood and did it whenever I was eligible. Then I lived in the UK for four years over the late '80s/early '90s, and now they just don't want my blood anymore. No one likes prions, unfortunately. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,775
    Wobbie said:

Depends on the type of cancer, if not a blood cancer, and your treatment is complete, no recurrence for 12 months, you should be good to go. 
  • Options
    edited June 2018

I used to enjoy donating blood and did it whenever I was eligible. Then I lived in the UK for four years over the late '80s/early '90s, and now they just don't want my blood anymore. No one likes prions, unfortunately. 
    That's related to vCJD (mad cow), you were exposed and there is no test to detect, out of an abundance of caution, for the safety of the blood supply, you would be deferred from donating.
    Post edited by PureandEasy on
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    Wobbie said:

Depends on the type of cancer, if not a blood cancer, and your treatment is complete, no recurrence for 12 months, you should be good to go. 

I’m good for my cancer. it’s the year worth of chemo. chemo is some strong shit.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

I’m good for my cancer. it’s the year worth of chemo. chemo is some strong shit.
    Well I'm happy to hear that.  Take care of yourself, make sure you're healthy and well first and foremost. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827

That's related to vCJD (mad cow), you were exposed and there is no test to detect, out of an abundance of caution, for the safety of the blood supply, you would be deferred from donating.
    I know; thus, my comment about prions. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

I know; thus, my comment about prions. 
    Dude, just trying to get people to donate, and educate about what may defer you from donating. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    I've had EBV (Epstein-Barr VIrus) since the mid 80's so it sucks that I can't give blood because it doesn't bother me to have blood drawn.  Before having EBV, I had a classic case of mono in 1973.  My mother was a lab tech and phlebotomist and  drew blood from me weekly to use in a clinical study and I would just sit there calmly, watching  and talking to her.  She was awesome- could draw blood from anyone- even the worst cases you can imagine, they would call on her to do it.

So I can't give blood and I'm sorry for that but I would gladly if I could.  Anyone who can, I encourage to do so. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.