Options

Songs You Like More, or Less, Because of Shows/Bootlegs

OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
Having been to 20 shows and having maybe 30 bootlegs, I, like many of you, am quite familiar with the live versions.  In fact, for me, my feelings for most songs played with some regularity are based just as much on the live version as the studio version, something I can only say about one other artist (Ani DiFranco, my wife's favorite artist; we have all of her bootlegs (which is like 20) and have been to 11 and 12 shows respectively.  Many of her songs are better live).  With most artists I've been to few shows and have not really relived the live experience like I do with PJ.

When Vs. came out Rearviewmirror was just another song on the album I did not think about.  But when it was played live at my first show (Milwaukee, 1995), that changed.  I was immediately pulled in by the energy and to this day wonder why I kind of glossed over that song until that point.

I always liked Release but its role as a frequent show opener probably raises it on my list.  Fenway 1, 2016, I'd not been to a PJ show in nearly two years and hearing that song sort of drift in gives me chills.  I still love hearing it open on a bootleg.

I warmed up to Long Road very slowly.  I heard it at Boston 3, 2003 and don't really recall reacting.  But by Fenway 1 2016, it was probably nearing my top 10.  I love that Fenway version.  I like the 2003 version and other versions I hear live.  And the studio version.  I think the power behind a couple of the climaxes in 2016 along with the subtle uniqueness of the various performances is responsible for this song now being my third favorite PJ song.

Not the shows so much, but the bootlegs have probably soured me a bit on some of the eight-minute live songs.  I never liked Black as much as most of you.  Like most of you who are old enough, I was really immersed in Ten when it came out and liked every song.  Black was somewhere in the middle.  But now, listening to bootlegs so much, it is easily my least favorite eight-minute live song.  It's just kinda...boring. And it's on most of the bootlegs.  

Anyway, I'd be curious to see how much live vs. studio plays into your feelings about songs...
1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin

Comments

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    I will keep with the Fenway theme. All Those Yesterdays - I love the baseball themed mix they did with this song that night. All those double plays and listing off the pennant and World Series wins was a nice touch. I have listened it so often that I expect all versions to say "all those double plays". Also Deep Fenway caught me off guard too. I would say it would be on my bottom 3 for songs off of Ten. Hearing it live with Lukin/Not For You/Immortality preceding it  really made it pop for me. What a set of songs and Deep really held its own in that spot. 

As for songs that I am not found of live compared to the studio version I would have to say. Indifference. It is a top 10 studio song for me easily and you would think it would have been a hit at my first show in Worcester. Imo it came off really flat and with the lights on it totally took the mood out of the song. It is not a closer and I am not sure why it is in that spot. The lights need to be out and it needs to open the show or the first encore! I would love to hear it again and hope it was just an off version as I think this is one of their best songs in their catalogue. 
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    I agree with everything you said except the stuff about Black becoming boring.

I would replace your selection/opinion of Black with Even Flow. For me, it’s not necessarily the frequency in which they play it (as Mike’s solos make it interesting each time), more than it is the fact that I’ve gotten tired of the faster live tempo. After a while, it just seems to take away the groove that makes that song so good. If you’ve grown tired of the song on so many boots, than just take a sec to listen to it off of Ten for the first time in a while. You’ll fall in love with it all over again!

It would be INSANELY COOL if at one random concert they did it in the studio tempo, because they haven’t done that in forever. 
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    PJWGIII said:
    I agree with everything you said except the stuff about Black becoming boring.

I would replace your selection/opinion of Black with Even Flow. For me, it’s not necessarily the frequency in which they play it (as Mike’s solos make it interesting each time), more than it is the fact that I’ve gotten tired of the faster live tempo. After a while, it just seems to take away the groove that makes that song so good. If you’ve grown tired of the song on so many boots, than just take a sec to listen to it off of Ten for the first time in a while. You’ll fall in love with it all over again!

It would be INSANELY COOL if at one random concert they did it in the studio tempo, because they haven’t done that in forever. 
    I've been back and forth on Even Flow.  But I went to all four ballpark shows in 2016 and Mike made it fun each time.  It's frequency makes it not play great on the bootlegs, but I have to be careful putting too much weight on those.  I really do enjoy evenflow at a show and there were times I was kinda disappointed when they played it.

One song I never tire of is Rearviewmirror.  After the soloing, the slow drift back into "saw things..." is a top-5 moment at each and every show I've seen that song played at.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Daughter...the live tags are fun.  Kinda bored with the album version after all of the thousands of plays over 20+ years.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201
    I was never a fan of Immortality until the Benaroya Hall boot.  that one version turned me onto the song.

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    Crazy Mary circa 2003. Not a fan of the studio recording at all, but really enjoyed it on those boots. Daughter as well. The improvs bring that song to another level and you never know how it's going to end. Live RVM 100x > studio RVM and I like both a lot. 

I often skip Black and Alive on the boots just because they all basically sound the same, but I still absolutely love them live. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    KICK7071KICK7071 In My Tree, ON Posts: 712
    Nothing As It Seems...  hearing McCready play that live...  facemelting
    Toronto 10-05-2000 / Toronto 06-28-2003 / Toronto 09-19-2005 / Toronto 05-09-2006 / Buffalo 05-10-2010 / Toronto 09-11-2011 /
    Hamilton 09-15-2011 / London - Canada 07-16-2013 / Buffalo 10-12-2013 / Ottawa 05-08-2016 / Toronto 05-10-2016 / Toronto 05-12-2016
    Amsterdam 06-12-2018 / Amsterdam 06-13-2018 / Chicago 08-18-2018 / Boston 09-02-2018 / Boston 09-04-2018 / Quebec City 09-01-2022 / Ottawa 09-03-2022 / Hamilton 09-06-2022 / Toronto 09-08-2022 / New York City 09-11-2022 / Chicago 09-05-2023 / Chicago 09-07-2023 / Austin 09-18-2023 / Austin 09-19-2023
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Green Disease.  I wasn't big on it until I heard it live.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    half full. album version is kind of dull sounding and lacking in immediacy/excitement (like a lot of riot act), but live it usually kills.
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    WMA 
    Absolutely love it live
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    edited June 2018
    Oh so many! However, Release, Porch, Blood, RVM, Immortality, Not For You, Long Road, Present Tense, and most of Binaural all come to mind.
  • Options
    stratmadstratmad Posts: 208
    Too many:
    Liking less - Even Flow, Corduroy, Better Man and YL: great tunes, milestone songs etc. but too much too often.  Just shelve them for a couple of seasons.  PJ should take a leaf out of U2's current playbook where they've committed not to play anything off The Joshua Tree for their current tour, which knocks out a lot of big songs (Streets, With Or Without You etc.) and give long lost gems / fan requests like Acrobat a time in the sun.  

Liking more: Lightning Bolt, Life Wasted, 1/2 Full, 
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    dont want to hear long road anymore
    danny d