Options

Pearl Jam On SNL 1994

I just taped an episode of Pearl Jam on Saturday Night Live from 1994. There is something new that I noticed that I've never seen or heard about...It looks like there is a tatoo on Eddie's right leg. It is the "Alive" tatoo that Dave Abruzzese has on his arm. On top of that at the end of the show, before the credits, Eddie opens his shirt and reveals a "K." that he drew on his tan shirt...The show they played was cool though,...they played NOT FOR YOU and then DAUGHTER which was really good.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Im pretty sure that Tattoo on Ed's leg isnt the Alive guy if i rememer correctly its a logo for a group called "Earth First"

And the K thing was because when they played that show Kurt Cobain had either just died or was gone missing... I think it was when he was missing.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    the original broadcast also contained RVM, but E! has to cut stuff to fit into one hour. they also cut an absolutely hilarious Herhily Boy skit with Sandler and Farley. Bummer. When every other band in the universe gets to do two songs on SNL, leave it to PJ to be allowed three. You gotta love the respect...or lack of sketch material perhaps?
  • Options
    Im pretty sure that Tattoo on Ed's leg isnt the Alive guy if i rememer correctly its a logo for a group called "Earth First"

And the K thing was because when they played that show Kurt Cobain had either just died or was gone missing... I think it was when he was missing.
    no it must have been when he was found.

the daughter tag of 'hey hey, my my' would lead me to think that.

I didn't know they were allowed 3 songs though! i thought they played SNl 3 times and got shafted in 94.

that rocks :)

ps...

Ed had "Kurdt" (i think it was spelled like that.. kurt changed it around a bit) written on the head of his Telecaster.

also, everytime i've seen it rebroadcasted i think they showed daughter and RVM.. my oldest pearl jam memory is of this long haired god (e. V.~) and this awesome scream and black guitar he had...can't remember what song it was though.. good times :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    I remember taping it because I couldn't stay awake. (proud to have been a PJ obsessed 13 year old.) and watching the tape the next morning to reveal...Not for you. I couldn't beleive they were doing a song that I didn't know. Now that i'm older i realize how incredibly awesome that is to play an unreleased song on a TV show that expects you to play a hit single. of course when vitalogy finally came out i was dissapointed with the studio version because I had become so attached to the snl performance that I watched twice a day everyday.
  • Options
    Yeah they definitely played Rear View Mirror as I have a copy of that song from that show.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    Well I started listening to Pearl Jam when I was 10 years old because my father had gotten V.S and Ten...but by now i have so much Pearl Jam material,...my friends think Im out of my mind. But it hurts me to think that they didn't show Rearviewmirror,...especially with Dave Abruzzeses on drums (he was one of the best)"being a drummer myself"....but yeah I started playing drums when I was 4 and a huge part of learning was from Pearl Jam,...so Im 16 now, and im in a band (and we play yellow ledbetter),...http://www.myspace.com/shotdownrunaways,...check it out!
  • Options
    I STILL have that SNL on tape.
    It was one of my favorites of all-time.
    Pearl Jam ROCKED the shit out of the place with 3 songs,
    and Emilo Estevez hosted a hilarious episode.

Awesome.
    "Admire me, admire my home,
    Admire my son, he's my clone.
    This land is mine, this land is free,
    I'll do what I want, yet irresponsibly.
    It's evolution baby..."
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 784
    Kurt had just passed before SNL.
  • Options
    Deadman wrote:

Yeah, the show date was: 04/16/94
    "Admire me, admire my home,
    Admire my son, he's my clone.
    This land is mine, this land is free,
    I'll do what I want, yet irresponsibly.
    It's evolution baby..."
  • Options
    i remember that being the first time i saw eddie play guitar.....i stayed up and watched it and i must have watched that tape a trillion times.....then one time i was watching it and as it was at the most intense part of not for you i meant to hit rewind and hit record!! so for years i would watch it and right in the middle of the song there would be this 2 second clip of oprah or whatever....but then i finally retaped it off E! years later......i noticed certain camera angles are changed on the E! version, more closeups of ed during not for you and whatnot
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    they did 3 songs....RVM, Daughter, and Not 4 You...and it IS NOT the Alive Guy on Ed's leg. It is "Earth First"

all4
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    ok, so im posting on a dead thread (at least i didnt start a new thread, used the SEARCH prompt, try it once in a while). . .anyways, i was watching this on pearljamlive.com and it made me remember when i saw it on t.v., there was this funny moment at the end when everyones together on stage, just before they went off the air you could see chris farley grab ed and start slow dancing with him. it was a really funny moment. ed's laying his head on chris's shoulder. anywho, i was just remembering that so figured id share it
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    Zillah13Zillah13 Posts: 101
    I think I may have the original broadcast of that show on video.
    I'll have to look for it but I'm pretty sure of it.

The "K" was for Kurt. That show was broadcast just after he'd been found.
    The world was still in mourning!!!!!!!

I think that's also the show where Adam Sandler does his opera man bit & alot of it is about Ed.
    Man..... I wish I could put a Pearl Jam pic in here as my siggie!!!! LMFAO!!
  • Options
    Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    Gone Going , Gone Gone.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • Options

yeah i think his tattoo is the hammer thing or whatever it is and its earth first
    4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/8/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06, 5/12/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10
  • Options
    Kurt Cobain had already been announced dead. I clearly remember watching it at the time, and Pearl Jam's performance that night was fierce but contained. You could feel their sadness.

Another thing I remember (really in poor taste) was that there was an ad run by SNL during the show, saying that the band the following week (on SNL)was Nirvana.
  • Options
    ..good times,,,sad times also.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    Yeah they definitely played Rear View Mirror as I have a copy of that song from that show.

they did. they don't show it on the rerun of the show though
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    people watching that for the first time nowadays don't have any frame of reference for how frickin' powerful that was.

Kurt had like JUST died. everyone was in shock. the king was dead. everybody, even people who normally wouldn't care, tuned in that night to see what Pearl Jam would do. They were the new "spokesmen for a generation."

We wanted them to tell us that everything would be OK. and then they played those three songs. three perfect choices. looking back, Not for You was inspired.

then, the daughter tag ... lifting different lyrics from the EXACT same Neil Young song Kurt had quoted in his suicide note. the suicide note seemed so sad ... "it's better to burn out than fade away."

the daughter tag left us with a sense of hope ... "hey hey, my my ... rock and roll can never die ... there's more to the picture than meets the eye ... hey hey, my my."

and that was that. To those of us who knew what was going on, it was one of the most powerful moments in the history of music.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    emilio~ can i tell my friends i know you?

ed~ no
    tacos
  • Options
    armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    I've got a bootleg of their '94 SNL performances (3 songs) on VHS. I haven't seen it in a while. I think I'll take it out.
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Kurt Cobain had already been announced dead. I clearly remember watching it at the time, and Pearl Jam's performance that night was fierce but contained. You could feel their sadness.

Another thing I remember (really in poor taste) was that there was an ad run by SNL during the show, saying that the band the following week (on SNL)was Nirvana.

You think it was wrong for them to memorialize Kurt like that? Or it was in poor taste to do it right after Pearl Jam played?

I don't understand.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    i saw PJ the next night at the paramount theater in NY city my 1st pj show as a member of 10c great seats that night won't forget "footsteps" .i've been to 20 other pj shows since then and haven't seen "footsteps" again
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    people watching that for the first time nowadays don't have any frame of reference for how frickin' powerful that was.

Kurt had like JUST died. everyone was in shock. the king was dead. everybody, even people who normally wouldn't care, tuned in that night to see what Pearl Jam would do. They were the new "spokesmen for a generation."

We wanted them to tell us that everything would be OK. and then they played those three songs. three perfect choices. looking back, Not for You was inspired.

then, the daughter tag ... lifting different lyrics from the EXACT same Neil Young song Kurt had quoted in his suicide note. the suicide note seemed so sad ... "it's better to burn out than fade away."

the daughter tag left us with a sense of hope ... "hey hey, my my ... rock and roll can never die ... there's more to the picture than meets the eye ... hey hey, my my."

and that was that. To those of us who knew what was going on, it was one of the most powerful moments in the history of music.

My thoughts at the time exactly too.
    --- www.myspace.com/coldwarsundays ---
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    You think it was wrong for them to memorialize Kurt like that? Or it was in poor taste to do it right after Pearl Jam played?

I don't understand.

Kurt was dead. Would've been hard for them to play the following week my friend.
    --- www.myspace.com/coldwarsundays ---
  • Options
    10_pearljam10_pearljam Posts: 172
    yeah i think his tattoo is the hammer thing or whatever it is and its earth first

http://www.rootsofcompassion.org/newshop/catalog/images/PA018.jpg

that it?
    He is alive but feels absolutely nothing.
    So is he?
    When he was six he believed that the moon overhead followed him.
    By nine he had deciphered the illusion trading magic for fact.
    No tradebacks...
    So this is what it's like to be an adult
    If he only knew now what he knew then...
  • Options

The next week was a week off so they re-ran the Nirvana episode as a tribute to Kurt. They do the same thing when any ex-guest/host/cast member passes away. How is that in poor taste?
  • Options
    Thanks PeteThanks Pete NYC Posts: 613
    edited March 2018
    ok, so im posting on a dead thread (at least i didnt start a new thread, used the SEARCH prompt, try it once in a while). . .anyways, i was watching this on pearljamlive.com and it made me remember when i saw it on t.v., there was this funny moment at the end when everyones together on stage, just before they went off the air you could see chris farley grab ed and start slow dancing with him. it was a really funny moment. ed's laying his head on chris's shoulder. anywho, i was just remembering that so figured id share it
    I used to have it but sadly lost the screenshot of Eddie and Farley hugging. Went through some archives but they shrank the screen and you cannot see them hug. Please, does anyone have it?
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,233
    edited March 2018
    Deadman wrote:

Yeah, the show date was: 04/16/94
    Yup. My first show was the very next night.  They added the date to the tour just a few days earlier since they were in town for SNL. Dave A’s last show. They were on fire. 
    Post edited by CO278952 on
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,233
    Was there too. I am pretty sure I have a VHS tape in my garage somewhere of SNL from 24 years ago. Don’t have a vcr. But watched it so many times back in the day 
    i saw PJ the next night at the paramount theater in NY city my 1st pj show as a member of 10c great seats that night won't forget "footsteps" .i've been to 20 other pj shows since then and haven't seen "footsteps" again
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin