EV Citi Sound Vault

Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
edited November 2017 in The Porch
https://t.co/AsMamP1drG

Anybody know about this??

Comments

• Options
    BrushdailyBrushdaily Marin County Posts: 184
    My wife just sent me the link. I was watching a boring MNF game across the Golden Gate Bridge in Marin County.  Would have been nice.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,478
    The local alternative station didn't know about it. I don't think many people did. Amazing they could keep such a high profile act secret in this day and age.

http://live105.cbslocal.com/2017/11/07/eddie-vedder-played-an-intimate-solo-show-in-san-francisco-monday-night/
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited November 2017
    My, my, my, how times have changed.
    There was a time when Pearl Jam and Eddie were against all things corporate. Corporate logos, and flying Billboards Adds over their shows, advertising during shows like blimps and things Clear Channel ads.   Now they endorsed credit cards companies, home entertainment systems, what's next? Maybe we'll see Eddie featured in a Cadillac commercial soon.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,767
    RYME said:
    There was a time when Pearl Jam and Eddie were against all things corporate. Corporate logos, and flying Billboards Adds over their shows, advertising during shows like blimps and things Clear Channel ads.   Now they endorsed credit cards companies, home entertainment systems, what's next? Maybe we'll see Eddie featured in a Cadillac commercial soon.
    Allow me to deconstruct this...
    1. if we take this to its logical conclusion the band never tours in any real capacity ever because, ticketmaster.
    2. choosing where and when you apply yourself vs. a plane flying over your concert unsolicited with part of one of YOUR lyrics on the banner, vastly different, lack of control.
    3. this is not an endorsement of credit cards, it is a concert that is a feature of members of livenation (ie ticketmaster) who are citicard holders
    4. Sonos makes speakers for home entertainment systems, pearl jam makes music. Logical fit.
    5. I doubt you will see any of them in a cadillac commercial despite their being in a Target commercial a decade ago.
    6. conflation
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    edited November 2017
    RYME said:
    I understand your point.  Those times are long gone now.  Just gotta move on.  
  • Options
    RYME said:
    I understand your point.  Those times are long gone now.  Just gotta move on.  
    I didn't say I hate them now because of this.lol.  They are still my favorite band of course.  I'm a free market guy.  More power to him/them.  I just find it amusing.  It's Evolution baby.
    Yes time to move on.  
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited November 2017
    I don't find it amusing, I think it sucks

Eddie Vedder playing a private gig for Citigroup? strange times

Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,645
    edited November 2017
    Not sure the surprise here for corporate/birthday hired events as has been going on for at least the past decade and I believe even longer.  With social media, perhaps just more public now.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    my2hands said:

my2hands said:

my2hands said:

my2hands said:

my2hands said:

my2hands said:

Yes I liked the sponsor free No Code era much better when it was about the Music & the Fans.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I'm well aware that PJ played private gigs for Target and Oracle within the last 10 years... I think that sucks too, thought it did at the time... I'm pretty consistent on this issue lol... but for EV to play a private gig for a banking giant like Citi? Sweet fucking Jesus

That's why they keep this stuff quiet, because it reeks of selloutishness. Just to be frank
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,547
    My understanding was that this was a show for people who have Citi credit cards. not necessarily a "corporate" gig like Oracle and Target.
    In other words any Citi cardholder had an opportunity to get to this show.  Me, you, Dimi, etc
  • Options

EV done gigs for salesforce.com in Hawaii, an event at Cannes this summer,  Your house? http://www.celebritytalent.net/sampletalent/7420/eddie-vedder/

He's the person with the talent and for all we know he donates all the $ he gets to causes he supports. 

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,751
    RYME said:
    Who cares? Good for him. This is a business. If you don’t like it, don’t buy into it. Did he get paid? Fuck yes he did, you know why? Because this is his JOB. 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    Stupid to speculate reasons he played this gig. 

Has anyone seen a set list yet?  Just always curious what he played. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Maybe he does these to raise money for the many charities he's a part of.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Maybe he does these to raise money for the many charities he's a part of.

• Options
    My understanding was that this was a show for people who have Citi credit cards. not necessarily a "corporate" gig like Oracle and Target.
    In other words any Citi cardholder had an opportunity to get to this show.  Me, you, Dimi, etc
    To be fair, I am not sure "any" Citi cardholder could go, but it certainly is vastly different than the idea being portrayed that he played for the bankers.

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,575
    Meh...after Oracle I expected a lot more of this. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:
    Meh...after Oracle I expected a lot more of this. 

"What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    RYME said:
    Who cares? Good for him. This is a business. If you don’t like it, don’t buy into it. Did he get paid? Fuck yes he did, you know why? Because this is his JOB. 
    One of the biggest draws for Pearl Jam fans early on was the anti corporate giant posturing.  On many many occasions Ed would stand up vilify giant greedy corporations.  He didn't like the word Ford being on banners associated with the venue that they were playing at for goodness sakes.  On one of my bootlegs they were getting ready to play I got Shit.  Okay then he said "I'm in in too good of a mood to play such a depressing song.  I'm so happy.". 2 seconds later he spots a advertisement for Clear Channel and said now I'm depressed that's perfect." Then played the song I got Shit/ID.  So don't go back and pretend like that didn't happen.  I love Pearl Jam but if he needs to be called out on  some hypocrisy so be it.  Don't put a band or anyone so high that they can't be criticized
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    RYME said:
    PJ has done the odd "corporate" show over the last 17 years.   I assumed there's a good reason when they do it.  Maybe they're friends with someone running the event... maybe they're giving whatever they get paid to charity.. etc...

The Vancouver 2000 show I went to was a promo from the local radio station CFOX.    You either had to be famous or win tickets from the radio station to go.  I still have no idea how CFOX talked PJ into playing a bar show, or how much it would of cost them to get them to do so... it was still pretty cool :)
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    cool, is this going to be the 2016 xmas single then?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    RYME said:
    One of the biggest draws for Pearl Jam fans early on was the anti corporate giant posturing.  On many many occasions Ed would stand up vilify giant greedy corporations.  He didn't like the word Ford being on banners associated with the venue that they were playing at for goodness sakes.  On one of my bootlegs they were getting ready to play I got Shit.  Okay then he said "I'm in in too good of a mood to play such a depressing song.  I'm so happy.". 2 seconds later he spots a advertisement for Clear Channel and said now I'm mad perfect I'll play the song I got Shit/ID.  So don't go back and pretend like that didn't happen.  I love Pearl Jam but if he needs to be called out on  some hypocrisy so be it.  Don't put a band or anyone so high that they can't be criticized
    So, hypocrisy would be saying the Ford thing and then popping up in an advertisement for a Chevy the next evening.

Vilifying giant greedy corporations and supporting ones you think are potentially better and less destructive are not mutually exclusive ideas.

Bagging on every corporate entity one doesn't happen to find appealing would almost certainly lead to playing in no venues as virtually every venue is littered with advertisements almost nobody pays any attention to.

Finally, when you are 25 or 30 and are more doe-eyed vs hardened by elemental realism you make bolder pronouncements such as shooting down a plane with a cannon during a concert.   When you are 53 you may place your energy on other things as opposed to worrying if there is a CitiBank banner and logo attached to the concert you are playing.

There are ample things to criticize the band about, but almost all of them are going to have quite a bit more nuance than you will perhaps want to believe or be willing to accept.

• Options
    PB11041 said:
    RYME said:
    One of the biggest draws for Pearl Jam fans early on was the anti corporate giant posturing.  On many many occasions Ed would stand up vilify giant greedy corporations.  He didn't like the word Ford being on banners associated with the venue that they were playing at for goodness sakes.  On one of my bootlegs they were getting ready to play I got Shit.  Okay then he said "I'm in in too good of a mood to play such a depressing song.  I'm so happy.". 2 seconds later he spots a advertisement for Clear Channel and said now I'm mad perfect I'll play the song I got Shit/ID.  So don't go back and pretend like that didn't happen.  I love Pearl Jam but if he needs to be called out on  some hypocrisy so be it.  Don't put a band or anyone so high that they can't be criticized
    So, hypocrisy would be saying the Ford thing and then popping up in an advertisement for a Chevy the next evening.

Vilifying giant greedy corporations and supporting ones you think are potentially better and less destructive are not mutually exclusive ideas.

Bagging on every corporate entity one doesn't happen to find appealing would almost certainly lead to playing in no venues as virtually every venue is littered with advertisements almost nobody pays any attention to.

Finally, when you are 25 or 30 and are more doe-eyed vs hardened by elemental realism you make bolder pronouncements such as shooting down a plane with a cannon during a concert.   When you are 53 you may place your energy on other things as opposed to worrying if there is a CitiBank banner and logo attached to the concert you are playing.

There are ample things to criticize the band about, but almost all of them are going to have quite a bit more nuance than you will perhaps want to believe or be willing to accept.

I am genuinely interested. What are the more ample things to criticize the band about that have more nuanced then I want to believe or willing to accept?? What the hell does that mean?
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    We have no idea what the arrangement was for Ed to do that show or how it came to be. Stop judging and worry about yourself.
  • Options
    RYME said:
    PB11041 said:
    RYME said:

I am genuinely interested. What are the more ample things to criticize the band about that have more nuanced then I want to believe or willing to accept?? What the hell does that mean?
  • Options
    RYME said:
    You can't even seem to acknowledge that he was playing at a concert series that is designed for the cardholders who pay for a certain tier of access to Live Nation events and you want me to explain nuance?   What it means is, everything is not cold hard black and white.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    CM189191 said:
    cool, is this going to be the 2016 xmas single then?
    I sure hope not! I'm in the PJ fanclub, not the EV fanclub. I'm tired of EV singles with his Hollywood friends. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08