Options

Benaroya Vinyl in Binaural Riot Act Super Deluxe?

bosshogg18bosshogg18 Tacoma, WA Posts: 1,082
edited October 2011 in The Porch
Do you think they will include Benaroya Hall on vinyl in the Binaural/Riot Act Super Deluxe Set when it eventually comes out? This would be amazing to have on vinyl for those who weren't fortunate to get the Benny vinyl back in the day, or don't have the disposable income to buy one at today's astronomical prices. Even for those who own it now, but don't want to unseal their copy, or at the very least people who don't want to risk scratching their red wine version by overplaying it, this would be a great treat.
I know there are some people on here that absolutely love Binaural and Riot Act, and are their favorites. I don't hate the albums, but love Ten, Vs., Vitalogy, No Code, Yield, Avocado, and Backspacer more. Personally, and I know I am not alone when I say that Binaural and Riot were a couple of PJ's weaker albums. With this, there may not be as high of demand for this box set as the previous sets. I am sure with people deciding to buy a box set of these two albums, having a Benny vinyl in there would change the minds of a lot of people who would otherwise not purchase it, or those who are on the fence.
I don't want this post to come across as ungrateful, or demanding. I am sure it will be awesome regardless, but I just thought it would be a cool idea, and am curious what other die hard PJ fans think of this idea.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    No doubt this would be wonderful. However, let's see if they ever put out No Code/Yield first...
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    Why does there have to be a super deluxe version of every album? After 20 years it sort of made sense for Ten considering the significance but it seems both strange from a practical sense and a buisness sense to put together a super deluxe version of Binural and Riot Act.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    It's great from a business sense because people will buy it. C'mon, they stuck a PJ20 patch on a backpack and made Backspacer a white vinyl and the demand for more is insane. In reality they have themselves to blame for all the flipping.
  • Options
    smithnic wrote:
    Why does there have to be a super deluxe version of every album? After 20 years it sort of made sense for Ten considering the significance but it seems both strange from a practical sense and a buisness sense to put together a super deluxe version of Binural and Riot Act.
    They made one for Vs. and Vitalogy. It would only make sense to put out a No Code and Yield one next, followed by Binaural and Riot Act. If you don't own one, these sets are amazing. My favorite part is all of the hidden gems inside. Maybe a lot was divulged by the release of the PJ20 movie and book, but would still be cool to get another composition book, vinyl, pictures, posters, bootlegs, etc. A lot of time and care went into the first two Super Deluxe sets, and I hope they continue to put these out for ALL albums eventually.
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    This would be awesome!
  • Options
    MangoMango Brisbane, Australia (via Dublin, Ireland) Posts: 1,049
    Would much rather see the time and effort being put into new studio work and touring.

Simple.
    "Life comes from within your heart and desire"
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    Mango wrote:
    Would much rather see the time and effort being put into new studio work and touring.

Simple.
    ditto
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,176
    smithnic wrote:

Ive wondered that myself. Ten made sense because it could really use a new mix. Which also warranted a new press on vinyl.

My own preferences is that I really like how Vs, Vitalogy, No Code and Yield are mixed. Brendan O' Brien's 90s mixing is among the best. I thought the reissues for vs/vitalogy weren't as good as the originals. So basically I bought the vs/vitalogy boxset just to get the live vinyl in the set (the question is, if they offered the live vinyl alone, would I still buy a deluxe set....).

But I guess there's a market for them out there. I was playing some PJ vinyl the other day, but I went back and played my old vs. record opposed to the new one :(
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    :clap: I like this idea!!!
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    no way it would kill the demand/rarity/"secondary market" for their limited release. It would be a different show
  • Options
    Woah! They haven't even done the No Code/Yield Reissue and already people are talking about Riot Act? :lol:

That would be cool though

but do they need to rerelease those albums?
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    edited October 2011
    Woah! They haven't even done the No Code/Yield Reissue and already people are talking about Riot Act? :lol:

yes! :D remixed by B.O.B of coarse
    Post edited by RiotZact on
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Zod wrote:
    Brendan O' Brien's 90s mixing is among the best. I thought the reissues for vs/vitalogy weren't as good as the originals. So basically I bought the vs/vitalogy boxset just to get the live vinyl in the set (the question is, if they offered the live vinyl alone, would I still buy a deluxe set....).(

I agree, I think B'OB's ear for these things was spot on in the 90s - but since he has been sold on all the wonders of digital wizardry, I am not such a big fan. The production on Springsteen's Working on a Dream for instance is horrible - it sounds very synthetic to my ears. I've avoided the vs/vitalogy reissues - I have the original vinyl and I don't want to disappoint myself - they are perfect as they are.
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    Growing up, my family had a whole set of the Encyclopedia Britannica along the top shelves of a bookcase. I think it was the 1986 version. When my kids grow up, they are going to have the whole super deluxe box sets all along the top shelf of my bookcase. They are a thing of beauty and I am most excited for Binaural/Riot Act set!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,856
    Please no. I hope someday they do reissue the Benaroya Vinyl Box Set but don't include it in the Binaural / Riot Act Super Deluxe Box Set. Would like to hear new unreleased material for the next release packages.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    The re-issue of Ten was a no-brainer. The band (Ed?) didn't like the pink cover art and some of the mixes. Plus, it was the 20th anniversary piece.

The Vs./Vitalogy re-issue is also important because those albums are integral to this band's growth over their first 20 years. You wouldn't find too many people arguing against that line of thinking.

But every album after that has had less significance to Pearl Jam's rise to fame. To us, yes, all the records are important. However, to the rock music world, studio albums 4-9 aren't landmark achievements.

I think this is why you won't see any re-issue activity on records 4-9 for years to come. The clamoring for special/limited editions may change some PJ/10C plans, but I just don't see any Legacy Editions (or whatever name they create) for PJ's less-celebrated studio work.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    I think this is why you won't see any re-issue activity on records 4-9 for years to come. The clamoring for special/limited editions may change some PJ/10C plans, but I just don't see any Legacy Editions (or whatever name they create) for PJ's less-celebrated studio work.

They will all be re-released.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    P-JamP-Jam Posts: 807
    I think it is a good idea to re release them all... I want to spin the vinyls, and would rather get a super deluxe box set with extras and goodies than pay ridiculous prices to get worn down vinyl somewhere else.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    DUDE you got me all excited, I haven't been keeping up with the board the past few weeks and I thought.. can it be???

In any case, I will buy any super deluxe anything from the band, but I think Benaroya deserves it own reissue and not bundled so that they will hopefully be affordable to all who want them.
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    I agree, I think B'OB's ear for these things was spot on in the 90s - but since he has been sold on all the wonders of digital wizardry, I am not such a big fan. The production on Springsteen's Working on a Dream for instance is horrible - it sounds very synthetic to my ears. I've avoided the vs/vitalogy reissues - I have the original vinyl and I don't want to disappoint myself - they are perfect as they are.

I agree. Bruce's last album was complete shit...and Pearl Jam is the only artist I love more than the Boss, but this album is unlistenable. Usually Bruce takes time between albums and is somewhat of a perfectionist, but this album seemed rushed. I am sure the next album we be better, although it will be odd without Clarence and Dan.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    rhinomagic wrote:

They will all be re-released.

I didn't say they won't be re-issued at all. Thus the "for years to come" qualifier.

PJ will certainly have a re-mastered, re-packaged, re-issued collection of their works. It's what big rock bands do as technology expands and time wears on.

But I don't think they're in any hurry to get albums 4-9 re-issued like they were with 1, 2, and 3. It's hard to be nostalgic about albums that aren't even 10 years old yet.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    abhijeetabhijeet Posts: 303
    Both the re-issues so far had unreleased concerts, Benaroya ain't happening, get over it.
    Seattle 2009-09-21
    Alpine Valley 2011-09-03, 2011-09-04
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,594
    This would've been a great idea......
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    This would've been a great idea......
    Agreed. Happy if they reissue anything at this point but would've preferred some sweet SDEs! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    EchoesOnMarsEchoesOnMars Reading, Pennsylvania Posts: 422
    abhijeet said:
    Both the re-issues so far had unreleased concerts, Benaroya ain't happening, get over it.
    It'll happen one day
    Philadelphia 2013 (Night 1)
    Philadelphia 2016 (Night 2)
    Upper Darby 2016 (Night 2) (Temple of the Dog)

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    They wont do it imo.  I would bet studio albums only. . Small chance of lost dogs 
  • Options
    RiotZact said:

yes! :D remixed by B.O.B of coarse

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604
    abhijeet said:
    It'll happen one day
    I don't think so.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    Mango said:

Simple.

Mango makes a good point.  I'll take experiences over stuff.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Id like to see Benaroya repressed.  Black vinyl.  Everyone wins.  vault 8