Rubber coating on newer trade papaerbacks: Like 'em? Hate 'em? Don't care?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
edited July 2017 in All Encompassing Trip
I know it's not just me because I've heard a few others say they don't like them- those newer trade paperbacks with that rubbery feel to the covers.  When I have to shelve a book with that kind of cover (which, where I work, happens a lot), I can't  get that thing out of my hands fast enough.  It's like holding a dead octopus or something equally disgusting.  Let alone hold one long enough to read it!  I have a few.  Henry Rollins most recent books, for example, have them.  I have to cover them with paper to hold them.  The feel of those things completely un-glues my hinges.  

Anybody else hate the feel of these covers or is it just me and a couple of other weirdos?
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    Just you....I'm being silly. I have been doing alot of my reading on kindle paperwhite....it's bright and I can make the font as big as I like. But I have felt a few and no..I think it's a waste and if they stick to other covers and I was putting them up I would hate that too.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    camsjam said:
    Just you....I'm being silly. I have been doing alot of my reading on kindle paperwhite....it's bright and I can make the font as big as I like. But I have felt a few and no..I think it's a waste and if they stick to other covers and I was putting them up I would hate that too.
    LOL, it probably is partly just me. 

I also hate having grease or sticky stuff on my hands.  I think that started around the time I started playing guitar.  Keep the fret board clean!  

But those rubbery covers are the worst.  To me they feel powdery and rubbery at the same time though they leave no residue.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I haven't come across any, that I noticed anyways, but if it improves durability, I'm all for it.
    I'm hard on books, always transporting them in backpacks and beach again, reading them outdoors in the garden, on the boat, out by the fire, in the back country...always putting them down on rocks and concrete, dirt and sand to chase the rascally dogs and boy...
    I need sturdy books.  Some of my books are coated in packaging tape, what your talking about can't be as bad as my repair jobs lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    rgambs said:
    I haven't come across any, that I noticed anyways, but if it improves durability, I'm all for it.
    I'm hard on books, always transporting them in backpacks and beach again, reading them outdoors in the garden, on the boat, out by the fire, in the back country...always putting them down on rocks and concrete, dirt and sand to chase the rascally dogs and boy...
    I need sturdy books.  Some of my books are coated in packaging tape, what your talking about can't be as bad as my repair jobs lol
    There's certainly something to be said for durability and perhaps these are more durable.  I always have whatever I'm reading with me where ever I go and I  keep it in my book bag so it's always safe.  One book back is much less material than an extra coating on every book printed, so environmentally I'm ahead of the game that way.  I'm not even sure what the material is made of.  Definitely not a more natural material such as paper, paperboard or cloth.