How does this affect PJ?

2»

Comments

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    I think some of you are overreacting. They might take a step back and mourn in peace. The impact is huge on a personal level. But on the professional level...they are musicians. Music is their release, form of expression, their funnel. They will go on.. maybe not immediately but eventually, each in their own way and I believe they might write songs attributed to Chris, as that is the truest form of expressing their love and a form of paying respect. 
    I suspect Eddie might postpone or cancel the tour (but if he doesn't - don't judge him - you are in a really strange place after someone close to you dies and might work even harder than before or react in ways others find confusing - but rest assured the pain is there).

My father committed a suicide almost three years ago and he was the human being I felt the closest too - my soul mate. It is extremely hard to get your head around it. The feelings of sadness, emptiness and loss are permanent. But I did move on. Faster that I would ever expected to - it was a bit different because I knew why he did it and in a way understood him (always). It is a way of letting your ego go - (you miss, you are sad, you want, you feel like you deserve to have him around etc - but the death is not about you) and respect the person gone as a whole and all of his decisions in life. 
    Well said Stereotype.  My condolences on the loss of your father.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    edited May 2017
    I'm sure Matt will want to play again, as I would think it's very therapeutic. So him specifically not wanting to continue is the least likely scenario.  And let's have a little perspective here on how things seemed to have gone down.  Chris was basically like "fuck you guys I'm out" (not literally of course, but essentially that's what it boils down to) so while they lost a brother there's no way they should let his poor decisions dictate their future. 

But as lots of people have said, we have no idea what this will do to them and it's pretty stupid to speculate even though history makes it pretty obvious. 

How the fuck do you know "what it boils down to" or what was in Chris' head?  Please keep your opinions about what decisions he made, how he made them and what forces he felt were dictating those decisions to yourself. 
    Post edited by shetellsherself on
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    I'm sure Matt will want to play again, as I would think it's very therapeutic. So him specifically not wanting to continue is the least likely scenario.  And let's have a little perspective here on how things seemed to have gone down.  Chris was basically like "fuck you guys I'm out" (not literally of course, but essentially that's what it boils down to) so while they lost a brother there's no way they should let his poor decisions dictate their future. 

But as lots of people have said, we have no idea what this will do to them and it's pretty stupid to speculate even though history makes it pretty obvious. 
    You just said it's stupid to speculate and yet here you are speculating away...
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • I'm sure Matt will want to play again, as I would think it's very therapeutic. So him specifically not wanting to continue is the least likely scenario.  And let's have a little perspective here on how things seemed to have gone down.  Chris was basically like "fuck you guys I'm out" (not literally of course, but essentially that's what it boils down to) so while they lost a brother there's no way they should let his poor decisions dictate their future. 

How the fuck do you know "what it boils down to" or what was in Chris' head?

I thought it was pretty obvious that I was only taking his actions at face value and nothing more.  The only thing any of us know is that we don't know shit about anything, much less what's in someone's head.
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765

How the fuck do you know "what it boils down to" or what was in Chris' head?

I thought it was pretty obvious that I was only taking his actions at face value and nothing more.  The only thing any of us know is that we don't know shit about anything, much less what's in someone's head.
    Wasn't obvious at all. Seems pretty clear to me that you were assigning thoughts to him. Obviously I agree that none of us know the real circumstances that lead him there. It just upset me so much to read you trying to shape a "perspective."  We are all trying to make sense of something that doesn't. 
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • yield2me said:

You just said it's stupid to speculate and yet here you are speculating away...

Exactly. I can talk out of both sides of my mouth as good as anyone.  It's not like I'm the only one doing it if you're reading all this stuff.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    This will make touring more difficult for the families I would think.  
  • smobeesmobee Valparaiso Indiana Posts: 178
    I can't see them calling it quits now after everything this band has been through over the years. There is no pressure to come back until they feel their ready to come back and that's what I think they'll do.
  • kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259
    edited May 2017
    I can't believe they're even thinking about any of that. They're about to bury Chris. It's really probably just getting through one day at a time right now.
    Post edited by kaseylily on
  • timbo1972timbo1972 Posts: 319
    Scanned this, lets not speculate on a hypothesis. Chris passing is truly saddening and touches many. Let's not presuppose what any one else would do but instead spare a moment to remember all he has done - likely unwittingly - for each one of us and think of his loved ones and those close to Chris who are the ones that have truly lost. 
    14.10.2000 Houston, 09.09.2006 Marseilles, 11.09.2006 Paris, 18.06.2007 London, 17.08.2009 Manchester, 18.08.2009 London, 22.06.2010 Dublin, 23.06.2010 Belfast, 25.06.2010 London
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    I'm sure they will take their time until they are ready and I'm sure they will find some outlet to deal with this with music. Let's let them figure it out on their own and be ready to lift them up when we get the chance.

This band has been through ALOT and they have always persevered. From Andy to Chris and way too many in between. I think them continuing the 2000 tour after Roskilde was always a very telling thing about how they deal with grief.

I often think of Glen Hansards story of how Ed helped him through what happened to the Frames. I'm sure Glen and others are reaching right back this time. 

Whatever happens I'm still terribly sad and I love Chris, Soundgarden and PJ. 
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,294
    Apparently the funeral is the 26th.  Ed's tour is suppose to start the 27th.  At minimum i suspect the first show will either be cancelled or rescheduled.  Probably resceduled as there is a span of a week in between a couple of his shows on the tour.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    too soon, folks. too soon. just let it be. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    these guys grew up together musically. this is devastating.  i am walking around thinking i can't believe he's gone. i can only imagine how they feel. i am just a fan they were his friends. like brothers.  time will have to be the healer. there really isn't much more to say. 
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    They will continue on without a dear friend.

Like we all do in life.
  • Smellyman said:
    They will continue on without a dear friend.

Like we all do in life.
    Indeed. I mean fuck do you quit being an accountant or travel agent and you go in the fetal position and give up on life because you lost someone you love. Fuck no. You grief, however that may be, but shit you still live.These are grown men/women but for fucks sake they are in there 50's or 40's they've lost loved ones before and will lose people again. They for all purpose seem to love what they do and I'm sure they will address this in the future however they feel like they need to. 

• tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 879
    Pearl Jam with a new drummer? At one point, Ed mentioned that if anything happened to Matt, he'd give Jack Irons a call, but that was eons ago.

I can't be the only one watching that tour page with the current dates.

This cannot be how it ends...but if it is...so be it.
    First off I'm so happy this thread exists because I thought I was the only one having these thoughts...
    i mentioned today to my friend about them maybe calling Jack Irons. I really don't see Matt wanting to play anytime soon. Tour anyway. 
    Jack quit for a reason. He can't handle heavy touring.

PJ doesn't quit when they lose friends (Andy, Layne, etc). They will do things on their own terms.
    They don't tour havy anymore by any means tho. So if the need to replace Matt actually comes up, why wouldn't they ask Jack they're clearly on great terms still. That being said MC is our guy and I obviously hope that doesn't change. My heart goes out to the guy. 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Time will tell. I just hope that they're all doing ok.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com