Options

Starting My Pearl Jam Vinyl Collection....Any Advice?

epieepie Posts: 290
Hello Everyone,

I finally decided to jump into he world of vinyl and was looking for some advice as a newbie and wasn't to put together the PJ library for my listening enjoyment. I purchased what I could over Black Friday which was Lightning Bolt, Backspacer, Vitalogy, Vs, and Ten Redux. I noticed that it gets a little hairier for the rest of the catalog right now unless you have deep pockets. Any advice or strategies for a rookie. I am excited to join the world of vinyl as well as communicate with all of you. Thanks in advance!
1996 - Columbia, MD & Augusta, ME
2013 - Worcester, MA (Lightning Bolt Release)
2016 - Fenway Park I and II
2017 - HSCM (EV) Boston, MA
2018 - Seattle I, Fenway Park I and II
2021 - Ohana Festival (EV/EV/PJ)
2022 - EV (Beacon Theater II & Newark)
2023 - Austin, TX I & II

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    I'm kind of in the same boat. Gotta believe the band at some point will reissue the rest of the catalog on vinyl. I refuse to pay the inflated prices so that is what I'm waiting for.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    take out a second mortgage on your home

\m/
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options

take out a second mortgage on your home

\m/

Yeah, that's what I am trying to avoid. Maybe I will get lucky in a record store one day which would be a nice surprise. I am sure that is part of the fun of collecting vinyl.
    2023 - Austin, TX I & II
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Ask around here. I bought 4 here and never paid 3 digits. It's time consuming, but can be done. I'm actually still looking, need Lost Dogs B-)
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Keep your eyes peeled and be patient. You can still score something for a good price on here or on Discogs. Be aware of possible bootlegs/fakes. I think on the pjcollector website, you can see all the originals. Discogs lists all the different versions as well. If you are unsure if something is a boot or not, ask people for advice before you reach into your pockets.
    Most of the releases come in a EU pressing and a US pressing. Sometimes one of them is cheaper for whatever reason. I scored a No Code LP and a sealed Yield 2 or 3 years ago on discogs for around 60 dollars each. It can be done. Be patient.

In the meantime, if you have your eyes on a Benny, take the time and pump my thread (link in the signature). Hopefully, one day all us mortals will be able to spin this gem at home as well.

Happy hunting!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    Save your money and wait for reissues.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    The Super Deluxe Boxsets are GREAT!!!
    Don't fall for the "gimmick" vinyl...
    I still don't understand the appeal of yet another version of TEN,
    even if it is COKE BOTTLE GREEN!!! =))
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    I just started this year and my wallet wishes I hadnt.
    Dont have too many yet or the high end ones that the aficionados have... just bought Live on 10 Legs for a good price here.
    (2) Avacado (sweet blue wax on the opened one --do they all have blue?)
    (2) Lightning Bolt (one packaging is damaged from shipping)
    Lightning Bolt Red
    Backspacer
    Vitalogy
    (2) Ten Redux - bought one and was told it was the original...yeah right!
    Into the Wild
    Vs

I already had collected a bunch of 45s but I did get the one I wanted most this year.....the XMas Single with Rambling/Fuck Me In The Brain on it. For obvious reasons, I wanted that one! (Was there at that show too.)

My advice would be to ask for pictures before buying.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

In the meantime, if you have your eyes on a Benny, take the time and pump my thread (link in the signature). Hopefully, one day all us mortals will be able to spin this gem at home as well.

Happy hunting!

Shameless self promotion there, Leeze? :D
    derbydave said:

Only the cool kids have the Coke Bottle Green, Dave! ;)
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options

This. It's only a matter of time now. Don't pay $200 for a No Code when you'll be able to get one next year for $24.99. (or $250 in the Super Deluxe No Code/Yield Box Set)
    Settings > Signature Settings > Hide Signatures Always
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    Get out your wallet and be ready to spend a shitload or instead of taking up vinyl collecting just get a really expensive drug habit instead, it would prob be cheaper!!!!!

But if you want pj vinyl, it might be best to buy a bundle package from someone who is selling everything. I was late to the game too and a few years back I purchased most studio albums for a real good price, but since then vinyl prices have skyrocketed like crazy!

Keep your eyes peeled and be patient....deals can be had but it can drive a person crazy waiting!!
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    I'm in the same boat. I also bought LB, Backspacer and the Vs/Vitalogy box set over the black Friday weekend. I'm not spending $200 on any vinyl. I'll just wait for re-issues, and I guess on stuff like the Vault releases I just missed out and won't ever have them.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Don't do it!!! Silence the demons in your head
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    deadendp said:

Happy hunting!

Shameless self promotion there, Leeze? :D
    derbydave said:

Only the cool kids have the Coke Bottle Green, Dave! ;)
    I'm good with being uncool on the Coke Bottle Green...
    took a BIG old pass on that one!!!
    #NoRegrets :-bd
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options

Dont have too many yet or the high end ones that the aficionados have... just bought Live on 10 Legs for a good price here.
    Lightning Bolt Red
    Backspacer
    Vitalogy
    Into the Wild
    Vs

I already had collected a bunch of 45s but I did get the one I wanted most this year.....the XMas Single with Rambling/Fuck Me In The Brain on it. For obvious reasons, I wanted that one! (Was there at that show too.)

That blue Avocado is a bootleg. Not the real deal. I bought it too though, my only chance to get this album on vinyl at this point in my life.

OP, when I was talking about the bootlegs/fakes, I just meant be aware that they are out there. Don't overpay for a cheap boot. I got my blue Avo for 35 Dollars, but I have seen them go for more than 200. That ain't right.

Deadend - of course :D And I meant to say BUMP instead of pump :\">

• Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    Sarava said:

I'm in the same boat. I also bought LB, Backspacer and the Vs/Vitalogy box set over the black Friday weekend. I'm not spending $200 on any vinyl. I'll just wait for re-issues, and I guess on stuff like the Vault releases I just missed out and won't ever have them.

There are plenty of extra vault vinyls floating around....as soon as people get #4 you can prob pick one up fairly reasonable....keep your eyes peeled!
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    edited December 2014
    epie said:

Hello Everyone,

I finally decided to jump into he world of vinyl and was looking for some advice as a newbie and wasn't to put together the PJ library for my listening enjoyment. I purchased what I could over Black Friday which was Lightning Bolt, Backspacer, Vitalogy, Vs, and Ten Redux. I noticed that it gets a little hairier for the rest of the catalog right now unless you have deep pockets. Any advice or strategies for a rookie. I am excited to join the world of vinyl as well as communicate with all of you. Thanks in advance!

the way i've done it is just to accept that i can't have riot act, yield, binaural, lost dogs, benaroya, rearviewmirror, pearl jam, two legs, or no code until/unless they get repressed. and some never will. there's no way i can justify $200+ for what might sound a fraction better than the cd versions i already love. and i've got the collector gene/sickness. you just have to draw a line. pick a dollar figure you won't cross (then expect to pay 20-25% more than that in the occasional weak moments) and stick to it.

if you're looking for bang for your buck, just be patient. research multiple sites. if you're about to pull the trigger on what looks like a good amazon price, take 30 seconds to make sure it's not cheaper on bestbuy or ebay. sign up for referral sites like shopathome and ebates, they'll give you a percentage back on some of the online stores if you just click thru their link first.

buy one of everything 10club sells the minute they sell it. there's no telling what they made 1,000 or 100,000 of until it's too late. sometimes you'll overpay (hold your head up), sometimes it's a steal (sevens).

all of these are currently about as low as they're going to get, and i'd recommend buying them soon: christmas singles (except for let me sleep) $5-25ish. mirror ball $40ish. temple of the dog $35ish. into the wild for $35ish. live on ten legs box set $50ish.

do not buy no code or yield now. moline and milwaukee weren't just a curiosity, they were an unoffical announcement they're about to be repressed for much cheaper than ebay will charge you.

don't buy merkinball for $30 or $40, buy the exact same long road/i've got id 45 for $10.

all the brad albums and rndm can be had for about $9 each at collector's choice right now. use discount code NOV1420. cat power's you are free and jack johnson's kokua thing are pretty cheap, too.

and i'm confident uke songs will eventually fall back down to the $40 range. that record is selling way too high lately.
    Post edited by spnoone on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628

Lightning Bolt Red
    Backspacer
    Vitalogy
    Into the Wild
    Vs

That blue Avocado is a bootleg. Not the real deal. I bought it too though, my only chance to get this album on vinyl at this point in my life.

OP, when I was talking about the bootlegs/fakes, I just meant be aware that they are out there. Don't overpay for a cheap boot. I got my blue Avo for 35 Dollars, but I have seen them go for more than 200. That ain't right.

Deadend - of course :D And I meant to say BUMP instead of pump :\">

Thanks for the word on the Blue Avacado. It is sweet looking though! Guess I should determine if the other one I have (sealed) is a real deal or a bootleg. Will try to figure out how to tell.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    trades trades trades.......what you have for what you want. I have bought a lot of vinyl and traded for even more. Granted you have to have stuff others want. Posters are always a commodity here, some want picks etc, so there are more ways than just cash to get the wax. Ebay sucks, but every once in awhile you get a great deal. Never buy from Asia, almost always a fake.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited December 2014
    derbydave said:

I'm good with being uncool on the Coke Bottle Green...
    took a BIG old pass on that one!!!
    #NoRegrets :-bd

You are THE poster dude, so it's all good. ;)
    Post edited by deadendp on
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Suziemay said:
    ok, so here is a rookie question. I looked this up on discogs and did not see MOV956BL listed? Can you educate me here as to why? I assume this is not a "bootleg". Thanks!
    2023 - Austin, TX I & II
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I think the BL in the end just means it is black. They came in purple too :)

http://www.discogs.com/Temple-Of-The-Dog-Temple-Of-The-Dog/release/5045271
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Don't ever tell your wife or husband what you are doing.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    TinAntTinAnt Posts: 343
    What do you want your collection to look like? The earlier you answer this question, the better off you will be. There are so many facets to collecting vinyl records, you have to be able to determine what exactly you want in your collection to be able to move forward in a successful way.

If you want it all mint and sealed, prepare to throw down some serious cash if you want one of everything. If you don't mind just having a good copy of each studio album, that is definitely doable and for not a bad price if you are patient.

My advise would be to generate a game plan and search/buy/hunt/trade for specific things. After a while, you will know better what belongs with you and what doesn't.
  • Options
    front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246

This. It's only a matter of time now. Don't pay $200 for a No Code when you'll be able to get one next year for $24.99. (or $250 in the Super Deluxe No Code/Yield Box Set)
    I don't see any re-issues of any other albums in the near future.

Ten, VS., and Vitalogy were deemed failures by the label.....
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • Options

=))
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Try for a raise, a hefty one
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    spnoone said:

into the wild for $35ish

the reissue, to be clear
  • Options

You, sir, are a wise man indeed!