Options

Flipping things, my 2 cents, but only worth a penny

First and foremost I have never bought anything with the intention of flipping it nor have I flipped an item. However, I also don't see the problem with it or why we as a community jump down people’s throats for doing it. Yes it sucks when you don't get something you want because of bad timing and such. Yes it does suck that some people do and then just sell it. But people do that on a daily basis in life. We buy stocks to flip for a profit. People buy sports cards and comics to flip for a profit and so on. It is part of life. If there were no flippers you would have even less chance of getting some items. If you don't like it or think the profit they are taking is too much then don't buy it. But don't judge someone because they are. If we as a community wouldn't pay over the top for all things pearl jam then they wouldn't buy it. Hell in Seattle at the pop up shop the 10c was flipping left over vinyl and other items at a mark up, it went to charity but it was still at a higher price and they produce it. There are enough people on here who don't flip and will help out when they can. So let’s spend more time trying to find those trades and deals rather than jumping on people who we call "flippers"

That will be all - stepping down off my soap box now.

Comments

• Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Some good points

=D>
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,552
    Agreed - don't hate the player, hate the game.
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    edited April 2014
    There is a line. It used to be a few people would push the line, but recently, it seems like the line has been obliterated.

Take posters. Many people who went to, say the Pittsburgh show were shut out as it was very tough to get a poster there. Many people wanted it badly and waited for the sale here. The sale was flooded by people who did not attend the show and were only interested in the speculated demand/value of those who were shut out who really wanted it. These people quickly try to take advantage by monitoring ebay "value" and maxing out here in Lost Dogs before 10c even ships the posters. This is predatory and this behavior has been on the uptick for awhile.

Now Im not sure it violates any rules, and I can see both sides. Who knows, the management, artists, and vinyl distributors may like it because it stimulates this micro-economy.

But if you spend enough time in LD, you can specifically identify individuals who live by speculating and flipping on anything they can get their hands on. Including buying multiples if allowed. It used to be frowned on and people would have at least walked out the excuse that they were "buying it for relatives and friends", but now it is not as closely checked and people just admit they bought extra to flip.

A lot going on in broad daylight. Im sure ebay is loaded with this stuff. This "fast sale" behavior is no better than the fat guy in the 49ers jersey buying posters at MSG II 08. I kind of wish 10c would enforce the "not for resale" policies tighter, and includes people actively short-sale-ing in Lost Dogs.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    I respect the post "nails r bit off" - and I laughed at your handle. Are they really? Are your nerves shot from reading all the stuff on the forum? haha. I'm poking harmless fun.
    Good post good post. Good use of the soap box. Nothin wrong with makin money when done ethically; panties will always get twisted into knots when someone makes money doing something that someone else disagrees with. Whatever. The world is unfair to some. The world is fair to others. It's a dog-eat-dog world. The early bird gets the worm. cliche here and cliche there. Think I'll go fishing. Scatterbrain post; i'm out. HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SNOOPY! SNOOPY HANG ON! oh puddle fucks; i've lost my cookie. Can I have your other penny? Bob dole..... Bob dole.......... bob dole.............. bob dole
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    Just a line from one of my fav PJ songs. But they kind of are now that yuou mention it....
  • Options
    GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Chicago Posts: 3,075

Totally agree. Ridiculous prices are driven by the crazy ass fans. If no one was paying these huge mark ups, no one would try to sell things at crazy inflated prices. If you don't like it or agree with it morally/ethically/whatever, then don't participate on either end.

The 'not for resale' is bs and there is no way to stop it, and frankly, I don't think it should be- with the exception of 10c tickets. Once you buy something, it is the owners right to do with it as he/she wants, whether that is hanging it on your wall, spinning it, storing it in a box, or selling it to another fan, profit or not.

just my 2 cents.
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    MayDay10 said:

There is a line. It used to be a few people would push the line, but recently, it seems like the line has been obliterated.

Take posters. Many people who went to, say the Pittsburgh show were shut out as it was very tough to get a poster there. Many people wanted it badly and waited for the sale here. The sale was flooded by people who did not attend the show and were only interested in the speculated demand/value of those who were shut out who really wanted it. These people quickly try to take advantage by monitoring ebay "value" and maxing out here in Lost Dogs before 10c even ships the posters. This is predatory and this behavior has been on the uptick for awhile.

Now Im not sure it violates any rules, and I can see both sides. Who knows, the management, artists, and vinyl distributors may like it because it stimulates this micro-economy.

But if you spend enough time in LD, you can specifically identify individuals who live by speculating and flipping on anything they can get their hands on. Including buying multiples if allowed. It used to be frowned on and people would have at least walked out the excuse that they were "buying it for relatives and friends", but now it is not as closely checked and people just admit they bought extra to flip.

A lot going on in broad daylight. Im sure ebay is loaded with this stuff. This "fast sale" behavior is no better than the fat guy in the 49ers jersey buying posters at MSG II 08. I kind of wish 10c would enforce the "not for resale" policies tighter, and includes people actively short-sale-ing in Lost Dogs.

What do you have against the 49ers? Oh, I get it he was prospecting for gold.......
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    We don't support scalping here and it's not ok to promote it. Flipping is like that so no. This thread is done. Don't risk your Ten Club membership by flipping or scalping or bootlegging....please. We don't want that to happen.
    Falling down,...not staying down
This discussion has been closed.