Options

Kids into Pearl Jam

PJ Fan est. 1990PJ Fan est. 1990 Posts: 1,788
edited October 2013 in The Porch
This week, since going to Brooklyn I on friday, I have met a handful of kids who went to one of the two concerts last weekend.

For the record, I work for my local Boys and Girls Club on Long Island New York in the Three Village area (Setauket/Stony Brook for those of you who aren't familiar) I work mainly with Jr. High school kids. At one school, I work during their lunch periods as a monitor and provide the equipment for outside recreation (in other words, recess) and in the other school, I run the after school recreation.

Back to my story, at work this week, I have come across a few instances where I saw kids with Lightning Bolt tour shirts and hoodies. I was so happy. I'm still sporting my GA wristband and so when I saw them, I said, "nice shirt" as I flashed them my wrist band and showed them pictures of my amazing view. (a little self indulging, but I still can't believe how close I was)

One of the kids I met even HAS one of the set lists from night 1. I jokingly offered to buy it off of him, though I would still actually like to pursue that, lol.

Anyways, I find it awesome, even as a young PJ fan myself, (only 23, which I know is an infant in most of your eyes) to find PJ fans who are only 12, 13, 14 or so years old now. It's definitely a product of growing up listening to your parent's music and thinking it's cool. I know without my parents, my love for The Beatles or The Who or CSN(Y), etc. would not be what it is today. This is how a band goes from being known for a single time period, to being timeless. It's amazing and inspiring.

So on this note, I just want to say cheers to all the young kids out there jamming to perhaps THE greatest band in the world!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Giving this what feels like a necessary bump
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    its why they are bigger today than 10 years ago. my six year old is now asking me to play pj. beats bieber etc mindless crap.
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    My now 13 and 10 year olds, have seen the 5 band 5 times each... this fall will take them seperately to 7..

They started at 10 and 6.. ive seen more kids as time has gone on ... Bring them... It's what makes being a parent great... whatch your kids love what you do.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    DR108002DR108002 Posts: 148
    It's our religion in a sense! After seeing Ed do his solo gigs, my oldest kids are hitting the PJ circuit for the first time this Fall. My oldest, who is 11, saw Ed 7 times and did his first 2 PJ shows in Pittsburgh and Buffalo. My 8 year old saw Ed 4 times and joined us in Pittsburgh. They stood on their chairs the whole show, belted out lyrics, and we just had a blast together. I think of all of the pop culture influences they could have followed, and I'm so thankful they appreciate PJ like they do. It's great!
    Lukin35
  • Options
    I was sitting around with my five year old the other day and out of the blue he starts singing"everyone's a critic looking back up the river, every boat is leaking in this town". I was so proud!!!
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • Options
    kwdaleykwdaley Posts: 499
    Now I feel old... I suppose the same thing was said of me when I first started going to Stones' show back in '89.
    Ottawa 2011
    London 2013 "The Dundas Hookers on Crack" Show
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254
    My 14-year-old classical musician in the car today:

1) Rocking out like a madman to Beethoven's 7th;
    2) Listened to the Clash's "Death or Glory," and said, "You know, Pearl Jam really should cover the Clash more."
    3) Was very excited to sing along with "Behind Blue Eyes;" "I love this song!"
    4) Sang along, as always, to "Animal;"
    5) Would like to have Justin Bieber's passport revoked so he cannot visit the US.

He's pretty cool, for a music geek.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.