Options

Seeing Pearl Jam in Europe vs US

davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
edited January 2013 in Given To Fly (live)
I was just wondering what the differences are in seeing a show in the U.S versus Europe. Does pearl jam play more rarities in the US? Do you think the crowds are better un Europe because they dont play there as often?
Do the crowds have more energy Europe? Do you prefer to see them in Europe vs the US?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    People may have far more qualified views than me and I guess most people will have a bias :D

I've only seen PJ at PJ20 in the USA, but did do 5 Canadian shows.
    I've seen 12 shows in Europe.
    They are different experiences, I think the USA/Canadian shows get more varied and longer set lists. I think the energy, experience and companionship of European shows sets them apart.
    The band seem to love playing to GA crowds, they feed off the energy. Even if you are seated at a European show the levels in the room just seem better. Being able to watch the floor crowd bouncing is awesome. I completely enjoyed the Canadian shows I went to, but the experience, for me, was slightly dulled by the uniformity of seats. I know there seems to be some level of reservation/nervousness about GA in the USA but we don't get the problems people seem to imagine they would. I know there is the merch issue for some/getting beer issue etc... that's just not an issue and plenty of people manage it.
    I guess the whole gig experience is different over here, it would be rare to find any pop/rock/indie show with a seated floor, we just don't do it.
    I love being with loads of friends, bumping into people randomly, just enjoying myself, so that's probably why I am biased.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952
    dottles wrote:
    I think the energy, experience and companionship of European shows sets them apart.
    Agreed!

My opinion would be completely skewed as I have seem PJ in Europe 6 times and in the US only twice.
    The US shows were:
    Montana - standing floor but a concert for Jon Tester.
    San Francisco - The Whoracle private concert.
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    at europe i can choose as many friends i want for enjoy the show together with them..

its the only thing matters for me at a pj show,thats why i prefer Europe shows
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,843
    I love all the North American shows I've done (MSG x2 in 2010 and Canda x4 in 2011). I hate standing, so having all seated shows is always going to be my preference!

That said, I stood for 7 out of the 9 shows in Europe last summer, with Berlin 2 and Oslo being up there as the best I've ever seen.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    USA > Europe any show of the week.

All depends on what you like at a show.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    edited January 2013
    Post edited by Brisk. on
  • Options
    Dirty FrankkDirty Frankk Posts: 4,274
    I prefer GA shows, you get a choose where you want to stand, you can move and jump. I hate having a chairs in front and behind of me....it sucks.
    But if you get a lottery first row in US that is the best experience....only the first row.
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    Please forgive my ignorance... Been out of the live music scene for awhile. Is it just a given that there will never be GA shows in US? I don't get it. Enlighten me plz.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    EwankEwank Posts: 108
    I would always chose to go to GA shows. I know, you have to wait in line for hours in order to be first row, there´s more pushing, more jumping, you can lose your ¨place¨.....but hell, GA shows are incredible. People screaming, jumping, dancing, waving....become a collective human ¨wave¨ must be a great source of energy for the band.

I mean, just watch this!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2E3uZ-Qe4M

You´ll never get that in a seated show :)

But like someone mentioned before.....in the US you get the rare songs, the longer setlists, the breaking curfew.

I hope PJ doesn´t pull a ¨greatest hits¨ setlist in South America in April :)
  • Options
    aennilaennil Posts: 415
    Please forgive my ignorance... Been out of the live music scene for awhile. Is it just a given that there will never be GA shows in US? I don't get it. Enlighten me plz.

i wondered about this as well... anyone?
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    aennil wrote:

noone knows..missoula 12 was a GA indoors show
    but most arenas at USA are seated at the arena
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    aennil wrote:

They did the fundraiser last autumn as a GA floor, and obviously are at festivals. But from what I can tell these are the exception and most shows in the USA are all seated, with it seems, no intention to change that.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    aennilaennil Posts: 415
    dottles wrote:
    aennil wrote:

They did the fundraiser last autumn as a GA floor, and obviously are at festivals. But from what I can tell these are the exception and most shows in the USA are all seated, with it seems, no intention to change that.

wow, that must really make a big difference!
    so, you do stand up anyway, right? -i guess the chairs will make jumping and dancing a bit more difficult, but don't think i would be able not to!
    ...this is very interesting...
  • Options
    aennil wrote:

wow, that must really make a big difference!
    so, you do stand up anyway, right? -i guess the chairs will make jumping and dancing a bit more difficult, but don't think i would be able not to!
    ...this is very interesting...

Floor seats are quite close together and therefore it does restrict movement in my opinion, but then I am used to GA. Those who are used to seating seem as passionate about it's benefits as I am about GA.
    The view can also be restricted unless you are near or at the very front, if you get a really tall person in front of you, you can't move to get a better look. If you are lucky enough to win front row, then win win I guess, but for the majority this isn't the case.
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,239
    If Pearl Jam wanted to have GA in the arenas they play, they could do. Other bands that play the same venues do it with no problem. The fact that ticket seniority is a perk of 10c membership means that this is unlikely to change as it would risk annoying a great number of fans (who would probably complain at first but still attend).

As for what's better, I'd say the rarities and longer sets make the actual performances from the band much more enjoyable, but a dead crowd such as that in Ottawa in 2011 can kill enjoyment of what would otherwise be a pretty good show. Are GA crowds and great performances/shows linked, not at all, the 2 night stand in Toronto proves that for starters.

Personally, I pay my money to see the band on stage, to enjoy what they are there to do. Ideally that would be GA, purely because it's what I'm used to, but I don't think it matters a great deal. If you don't get 10c tickets you can usually get more than 2 of you "seated" together so you can enjoy the show with your friends. This is of course less likely in markets like New York. I'd rather see the band play a long and varied set in a seated venue, than plough through a 2 hour greatest hits set in a GA crowd. I'm lucky though, I've done both.
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    ilockyer wrote:
    If Pearl Jam wanted to have GA in the arenas they play, they could do. Other bands that play the same venues do it with no problem. The fact that ticket seniority is a perk of 10c membership means that this is unlikely to change as it would risk annoying a great number of fans (who would probably complain at first but still attend).

I agree that this seems to be PJ's choice -- I've seen plenty of GA shows in venues where PJ has played seated (Forum in LA comes to mind -- PJ 2006 was seated, saw Muse there around the same time, GA).

I have to disagree about the 10c membership though. Aren't there plenty of European 10c members who want that same perk?

It just seems to me to be their choice to mostly do seated shows in US. Which seems a little strange, since the event that would sour any band on GA shows took place overseas.
  • Options
    i've seen liek 12 shows in europe and over 50 in the US

US will get those epic setlists, but the energy has been lacking from the crowd sicne after the riot act tour

europe shows have shit tons of energy. SHIT TONS. (outside of scandanivia, lol)

i was telling friends at berlin this past summer that if they played a setlists like philly 3 or 4 there, people would die.

europe is not a bunch of 35plus year olds with their arms folded.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    RH256879 wrote:
    ilockyer wrote:

I agree that this seems to be PJ's choice -- I've seen plenty of GA shows in venues where PJ has played seated (Forum in LA comes to mind -- PJ 2006 was seated, saw Muse there around the same time, GA).

I have to disagree about the 10c membership though. Aren't there plenty of European 10c members who want that same perk?

It just seems to me to be their choice to mostly do seated shows in US. Which seems a little strange, since the event that would sour any band on GA shows took place overseas.

Nope, at least not that I know of. Europe doesn't really ever get seated floors for rock shows, so if PJ did that, the majority of European fans would be annoyed, as it's simply not what we're used to. I'm yet to go to a seated PJ show (hopefully will attend the London one), but I just don't think a non-GA crowd can produce the same energy.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I've seen both too, and I am also preferring GA. The seated thing has the advantage of having your stuff and spot safe, but the energy in a GA crowd is so much fun! In Berlin last summer I had a blast dancing in the crowd, interacting with other fans, making friends and meeting friends. Like others said, the EU crowd seems to be a little more alive, but that may also vary with your seniority and the area where your seats are. In Toronto '11 I had a great ticket buddy and we had lots of fun, but on the first night we were in kind of a bad spot with nobody really getting into it. Also, I was having a seat at the edge of a row and when I started dancing a little in the aisle, a woman came and warned me not to do that :sick:

Even if you don't like to be in the actual pit, you can still have a great show, being with people you like, just having a great time.

As for the setlists ... I would love a US setlist in a GA setting. But here's hope for Chicago :D
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,239
    As for the setlists ... I would love a US setlist in a GA setting. But here's hope for Chicago :D

We came kind of close this summer in Europe. It was good that they toured here without product to sell as we got much better setlists than the previous couple of tours. If only our venues didn't have stupidly early curfews...
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    ilockyer wrote:

We came kind of close this summer in Europe. It was good that they toured here without product to sell as we got much better setlists than the previous couple of tours. If only our venues didn't have stupidly early curfews...
    You had it in Europe. Amsterdam #2. 'Nuff said.
    That being said, my view is skewed. The only 2 shows I've seen in Europe were the 2 Amsterdam shows last summer. Night 1, 2 deep dead center. Freakin awesome. Night 2, seated. Both shows were great for different reasons. Jump to September and I was lucky enough to be on the center rail in Atlanta, about 40 feet from the stage.

To me, having to stand in line and get there early made the GA shows more special. Like I had to earn it. But, I can most definitely say that I prefer a seat. Especially when you have to endure crappy festival bands or an opening act who plays the same set list every night.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options
    Kathi wrote:
    RH256879 wrote:
    ilockyer wrote:

Nope, at least not that I know of. Europe doesn't really ever get seated floors for rock shows, so if PJ did that, the majority of European fans would be annoyed, as it's simply not what we're used to. I'm yet to go to a seated PJ show (hopefully will attend the London one), but I just don't think a non-GA crowd can produce the same energy.

But it's not like PJ has polled the fans in USA and learned that they want seated shows. There are shitloads of fans in the US who want GA shows, with some 10c members wanting their seating perk. Just as in Europe, there are shitloads of fans who want GA shows....with some 10c members wanting their seating priority.

It makes no sense to me that PJ would play seated shows in the US because "10c members want to keep their perk"... because there of course have to be some of the same fans in Europe.

That argument doesn't jibe for me.
  • Options
    seems like I really gotta get over seas...
    ~ Enjoy The Struggle
  • Options
    ragejoeragejoe Agawam Mass Posts: 1,413
    35 shows here... No european shows ill admit so im only going by the bootlegs... I think this past 2012 Euro tour the band was on fire and was real comfortable... Those Amsterdam shows were amazing...

Louder crowd for screaming and chanting in Europe no doubt... the bootlegs consistently confirm that... I think rarities is equal taking out any Festival show obviously... I think the rarities and the length of the show really evolves during the night based on the crowd and the reaction and how the band is feeling.. Obviously the venue curfews come into play here n there...

I think for US shows the Northeast gets the GOLD... their Boston n NYC shows are consistently out of this world Special.. we are extremely lucky... I'll also go out on a limb here and say I believe NYC and Boston Crowds are the BEST PJ crowds in the USA... I do think SOUTH AMERICAN crowds are the LOudest PJ crowds in the world from participation and the chanting and stuff...

God all this talk is making me DROOL for this years tour!
    1998 Tour- Hartford 9/13
    2000 Tour- Saratoga 8/27 Boston 8/29, 8/30
    2003 Tour- Albany 4/29 Boston 7/2,7/3,7/11 Philadelphia 7/5,7/6 MSG 7/8,7/9
    2004 Tour-
    Boston 9/28,9/29
    2006 Tour-
    Albany 5/12 Hartford 5/13 Boston 5/24,5/25
    2008 Tour-
    MSG 6/24,6/25 Hartford 6/27 Boston 6/28,6/30 Eddie- Boston 8/1
    2009 Tour-
    Eddie- Albany 6/9 Philly Spectrum- 10/30, 10/31
    2010 Tour-
    Hartford 5/15 MSG 5/20,5/21
    2011 Tour-
    Eddie- Hartford 6/18
    2013 Tour- Worcester,MA 10/15,10/16 Hartford 10/25
    2016 Tour- MSG 5/1,5/2 FENWAY 8/5,8/7
    2018 Tour- Fenway 9/2, 9/4 (My 40th show)!
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    RH256879 wrote:

But it's not like PJ has polled the fans in USA and learned that they want seated shows. There are shitloads of fans in the US who want GA shows, with some 10c members wanting their seating perk. Just as in Europe, there are shitloads of fans who want GA shows....with some 10c members wanting their seating priority.

It makes no sense to me that PJ would play seated shows in the US because "10c members want to keep their perk"... because there of course have to be some of the same fans in Europe.

That argument doesn't jibe for me.

I don't know how it is for other bands in the US, but Europe doesn't get seated floor shows at all (at least not for rock concerts), so PJ doing seated shows would be really weird for everyone. Sometimes there are 10c seats available as well (I remember Manchester had those), but there doesn't seem to be too much demand.