Options

Record Stores in London

FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Where am I going kids? Give me the skinny.
"FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Camden Town area.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    DS1119 wrote:
    Camden Town area.
    truth
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    DM43807DM43807 Posts: 74
    I remember there was a vintage magazine books store. They had tons of Pearl Jam stuff from all over Europe. I also got my VS picture disc in London.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,216
    intodeep wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Camden Town area.
    truth
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I'll be going over there this weekend.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I'll be going over there this weekend.

Bring lots of money. It's expensive over there. I spent a month outside of London when I was in college and some of the prices of things will make you do this. :o :shock:
  • Options
    Yeah, its certainly an expensive city. The horrible exchange rate doesnt help either.
  • Options
    Yeah, its certainly an expensive city. The horrible exchange rate doesnt help either.

It's also weird to see American beers being referred to as Imports. :lol: When I was there Budweiser seemed to be the beer of choice in pretty much every pub I hit for the yuppie crowd.
  • Options
    Yeah, I have seen that. I have been doing the whole "when in rome" thing, drinking all the local beers. Fantastic.

I'm looking for records I can't get in the US. Any suggestions (perhaps Dimis got some tips) on how to successfully transport (or ship) records back to the US?
  • Options
    Yeah, I have seen that. I have been doing the whole "when in rome" thing, drinking all the local beers. Fantastic.

I'm looking for records I can't get in the US. Any suggestions (perhaps Dimis got some tips) on how to successfully transport (or ship) records back to the US?
    from uk?
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

from uk?
    Yeah, if I buy some records over in Camden this weekend, what would be the best way to get them back to the US? I dont think I can bring them on my carry on. Would it be safe to put them in my checked bag? FedEx them back to my place in the US?
  • Options

from uk?
    Yeah, if I buy some records over in Camden this weekend, what would be the best way to get them back to the US? I dont think I can bring them on my carry on. Would it be safe to put them in my checked bag? FedEx them back to my place in the US?
    checking bag will be fine..and not pay shipping...or get then on the plane with u...better and safer
  • Options
    You don't think the records will get damaged in a checked bag that's in the underbelly of the plane? It won't get too cold or too warm? Have you done this before Dimi?
  • Options
    You don't think the records will get damaged in a checked bag that's in the underbelly of the plane? It won't get too cold or too warm? Have you done this before Dimi?
    no problem with tempreture..trust me..i sent to many thing in mail,that can have pro with tempreture..never an issue..
    if i put them carefully,no problem..i did it in the past..from uk too..
    the best ofcourse is in a plastic bag on you on the plane..
  • Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    Or you get a friendly UK resident to post them.... But I've carried vinyl in hold and carry on and not had a problem as long as its well packed.
    Camden is cool, now its got the uber trendy lot frequenting it though. I used to
    visit often when I lived in Maida Vale. Spitalfields had some good record shops I think, Rough Trade East is over that way.
    Apologies for the dodgy post but the iPhone app is rubbish sometimes!
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Yep Rough Trade East is in Spitalfields.

As well as Camden you have the two Rough Trade shops http://www.roughtrade.com/site/about.lasso

Sister Ray http://www.sisterray.co.uk/

... and the Music and Video Exchange shops one of which is in Camden http://mgeshops.com/main/music-and-video-exchange
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    Cheers mates! I'll let you know how I do.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Portobello Road has Vinyl Solution, and Rough Trade:

http://www.vinylsolution.com/

http://www.roughtrade.com/site/where1.lasso
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    DS1119 wrote:
    Bring lots of money. It's expensive over there. I spent a month outside of London when I was in college and some of the prices of things will make you do this. :o :shock:

:lol: I go to London cos it's CHEAP! Don't ever go to Dublin ;)
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    WOW! Camden Market and Covent Garden record stores. Just wow. Scored a bunch of amazing stuff. More to come...
  • Options
    WOW! Camden Market and Covent Garden record stores. Just wow. Scored a bunch of amazing stuff. More to come...
    eat some chinese food...and dont get to many piercing.. ;)
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838

Glad you're enjoying your time in London. If you need any other info just ask!
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options

Yay! So pleased you're enjoying it :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Coming back? ;):D
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    chime wrote:
    Glad you're enjoying your time in London. If you need any other info just ask!
    Thanks Chime. You have a beautiful country here.
    dottles wrote:
    I will most certainly be back. We leave tomorrow evening. I went to mass/services at Westminster Abbey, looked at the ducks and swans in St James Park and hit the record stores. Today was our only free time the entire trip, and only a half-day at that. I'll be back.
  • Options
    dottles wrote:
    I will most certainly be back. We leave tomorrow evening. I went to mass/services at Westminster Abbey, looked at the ducks and swans in St James Park and hit the record stores. Today was our only free time the entire trip, and only a half-day at that. I'll be back.

Blinkin' right you will be, you owe me a pint ;):D
    (sounds a lovely way to spend a day btw)
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

:lol: I go to London cos it's CHEAP! Don't ever go to Dublin ;)

I've been there and yes the prices make me :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options

:thumbup:
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Find me a British version of Rubber Soul. I'll pay you.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Find me a British version of Rubber Soul. I'll pay you.
    Going back tomorrow before heading to the airport. They had a Dutch Rubber Soul at one of the places for around 80 pounds (~120 bucks), but I think they might have had a UK one for about 15 pounds. I balked on grabbing the Abbey Road UK release that was 13 pounds. I'll keep ya in mind tomorrow and we'll catch up when I make it back to the old country.