Options

So I watched Hype! again last night...

HA30208HA30208 Posts: 39
edited February 2011 in The Porch
You can stream Hype! on netflix so I decided to give it a whirl yesterday. It was the third time I watched the whole thing through.

The first time I saw it was around the spring of '97. My college roommate bought the VHS tape and we watched it in our dorm room. No Code was still fresh in our minds and Yield was just below the horizon. It was a great time to be a PJ fan. And I mean REAL fan. One who obsesses over all the music. I grew up in the Midwest. A 1500 miles from Seattle, so I was one of the people the bands made fun of for buying flannel and tying it around the waste.

The 2nd time was probably around the early '00's. "Grunge" was completely murdered and buried by nu-metal. I had visited a friend who was now living in Seattle. I wanted so much to be a part of that place that Hype! was about. But there was just no way I could move out there from the Midwest.

So last night was the 3rd time. Fitting that this is the 20th anniversary of my favorite band of all time. Obviously the director meant for Hype! to be a lot more than just Pearl Jam, and more of a statement on the whole time/place in general. But PJ does hang over the whole movie, and Eddie's statements towards the end really sum up the meaning of the film.

Watching the movie last night I'm surprised by how much all the other band's songs (besides Pearl Jam and Soundgarden) just don't hold up. Most songs were just loud and obnoxious. And that's great, if at the time that's what each band was striving for. But as a document 15 years old there aren't really any songs that I want to re-listen to.

I don’t know really what I’m trying to say in this post, other than that Pearl Jam’s music REALLY does hold up, and I think that is the defining characteristic of this band. You can take all the politics, popularity, social awareness that this band strives for and throw it out the window if their music sucked. And it just DOES NOT SUCK.

I love this band. I’m glad I was born at a time where I got to experience their whole 20 years (even if I didn’t live near them).
Rushmore Plaza Civic Center - Jun 24, 1998; Sandstone Amphitheatre - Jul 03, 1998; Sandstone Amphitheatre - Oct 12, 2000; Mid-America Center - Jun 13, 2003; Fargo Dome - Jun 15, 2003; Xcel Energy Center - Jun 26, 2006; Xcel Energy Center - Jun 27, 2006; United Center - Aug 23, 2009
Sprint Center - May 03, 2010; Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 2011
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362
    I totally disagree with you. Yes, you're right, you get to see Pearl Jam in the movie but it takes a while before you actually get to hear about them! The movie basically shows you that there was more than the big 4 (AIC, Sound, Nirvana and PJ) and that there was music going way before 1990.

As for your comment on how the other bands sound shitty, once again you're wrong. With that movie (that I watched for the first time around 99), it made me want to get more music from bands I didn't know. I knew about Mudhoney, Melvins and other Screaming Trees but I surely didn't know much about the Posies, Love Battery, Seaweed and others like Coffin Break.

And that's what Eddie says at the end; if nothing comes out of it, that would be the tragedy. I guess he was talking about you...?! Am I wrong?!
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    Zidane wrote:
    As for your comment on how the other bands sound shitty, once again you're wrong.

The original poster had their opinions, you have yours. Neither one is right or wrong. I happen to agree for the most part with the original poster on this subject. The entire reason I even watched Hype! when I was 13 was because PJ was in it. Was I disappointed when I found they were not the main focus? Yes. That probably skewed my perception of the other music in the film. I too found a lot of it to be loud and obnoxious, but there were a few acts that I thought were downright great (My Hometown has always been an addictive song for me.)

Now I'm 28 and I streamed it on Netflix about a week and a half ago and was more interested in seeing it for what it was (a complete look at the whole music scene at that particular time) and not what it wasn't (a Pearl Jam documentary, which I'll be getting later this year anyways). After doing so, I can completely and confidently say that the music I didn't like then, I still don't like today. Pearl Jam was then and still is my favorite band and I think their music has held up incredibly well. And as far as what Eddie had to say about tragedy, isn't he referring to the fact that nobody hearing about all of this music that was there all along being the tragedy? If so, then someone watching Hype! three times seems like the exact opposite of not knowing about some of the other bands that were part of the scene since the inception. I don't think he's saying that it's a tragedy that you tried to give the smaller, lesser known bands a fair listen and didn't like them.
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    Zidane wrote:
    I totally disagree with you. Yes, you're right, you get to see Pearl Jam in the movie but it takes a while before you actually get to hear about them! The movie basically shows you that there was more than the big 4 (AIC, Sound, Nirvana and PJ) and that there was music going way before 1990.

As for your comment on how the other bands sound shitty, once again you're wrong. With that movie (that I watched for the first time around 99), it made me want to get more music from bands I didn't know. I knew about Mudhoney, Melvins and other Screaming Trees but I surely didn't know much about the Posies, Love Battery, Seaweed and others like Coffin Break.

And that's what Eddie says at the end; if nothing comes out of it, that would be the tragedy. I guess he was talking about you...?! Am I wrong?!

^^^ This. The obscure music on Hype is f'n great. Between the Eyes by Love Battery is one of my all time favorite songs.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    HA30208 wrote:
    You can stream Hype! on netflix so I decided to give it a whirl yesterday. It was the third time I watched the whole thing through.

The first time I saw it was around the spring of '97. My college roommate bought the VHS tape and we watched it in our dorm room. No Code was still fresh in our minds and Yield was just below the horizon. It was a great time to be a PJ fan. And I mean REAL fan. One who obsesses over all the music. I grew up in the Midwest. A 1500 miles from Seattle, so I was one of the people the bands made fun of for buying flannel and tying it around the waste.

The 2nd time was probably around the early '00's. "Grunge" was completely murdered and buried by nu-metal. I had visited a friend who was now living in Seattle. I wanted so much to be a part of that place that Hype! was about. But there was just no way I could move out there from the Midwest.

So last night was the 3rd time. Fitting that this is the 20th anniversary of my favorite band of all time. Obviously the director meant for Hype! to be a lot more than just Pearl Jam, and more of a statement on the whole time/place in general. But PJ does hang over the whole movie, and Eddie's statements towards the end really sum up the meaning of the film.

Watching the movie last night I'm surprised by how much all the other band's songs (besides Pearl Jam and Soundgarden) just don't hold up. Most songs were just loud and obnoxious. And that's great, if at the time that's what each band was striving for. But as a document 15 years old there aren't really any songs that I want to re-listen to.

I don’t know really what I’m trying to say in this post, other than that Pearl Jam’s music REALLY does hold up, and I think that is the defining characteristic of this band. You can take all the politics, popularity, social awareness that this band strives for and throw it out the window if their music sucked. And it just DOES NOT SUCK.

I love this band. I’m glad I was born at a time where I got to experience their whole 20 years (even if I didn’t live near them).

Cool, thats going on the Instant Que tonight!
  • Options
    ^^^ This. The obscure music on Hype is f'n great. Between the Eyes by Love Battery is one of my all time favorite songs.[/quote]

Hahaha!!! It's that song that made me buy their first album and the others after!!! It was also cool to see that Bruce Fairweather played with them and also... Jason Finn... future member of PUSA!!!

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    10 - Cleveland
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Love the GITS on there!
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    I have never watched this. I will have to check it out. Thanks.
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • Options

So Zidane...seriously how often do you break out the Posies, Love Battery, Seaweed and Coffin Break albums?
    Rushmore Plaza Civic Center - Jun 24, 1998; Sandstone Amphitheatre - Jul 03, 1998; Sandstone Amphitheatre - Oct 12, 2000; Mid-America Center - Jun 13, 2003; Fargo Dome - Jun 15, 2003; Xcel Energy Center - Jun 26, 2006; Xcel Energy Center - Jun 27, 2006; United Center - Aug 23, 2009
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    wow, i watched hype for the first time last week, (after years of enjoying the soundtrack). i found it really enjoyable and the music was well-suited to my tastes. i can't believe it took me so long to track down a copy.
  • Options
    HA30208 wrote:

So Zidane...seriously how often do you break out the Posies, Love Battery, Seaweed and Coffin Break albums?
    I do all the time ;)
    slh
  • Options
    HA30208 wrote:

Well, let's see... I certainly wasn't going to watch that movie without trying to have a listening session of those bands. First of all, I got the Hype Soundtrack that you could get on SubPop at the time on their website (it was around spring 2000) and I was also able to get the vinyl on Ebay. Had the pleasure to discover some really cool bands on that cd like Dead Moon, The Gits, The posies, etc. Already knew Mudhoney, Soundgarden and others but the soundtrack also didn't have Love Battery or Seaweed on it; I went and bought their album. An old roommate of mine in Ottawa had almost everything from Epitaph and he had something from Coffin Break. I went and got some Supersuckers and 7 Year Bitch too... Yeah, maybe I don't listen to those cds every day but when my ipod is on shuffle, I certainly won't skip the songs from those bands.

I mean, I see your point which is to love Pearl Jam. But at the same time, it's too bad not trying to get into other bands. I thank PJ every day for getting me into those bands and others like Fugazi. Anyway, my first comment was maybe a bit harsh and I apologize. Give those bands a chance, you might change your mind.

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    10 - Cleveland
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    I just downloaded it the other night...my son is doing a research paper for his English class on the music scene of the 90's, mostly the Seattle scene, so we're gonna watch it this week. Haven't watched it in over 10 years...wonder how watching it now will compare to then. :?:
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    I just downloaded it the other night...my son is doing a research paper for his English class on the music scene of the 90's, mostly the Seattle scene, so we're gonna watch it this week. Haven't watched it in over 10 years...wonder how watching it now will compare to then. :?:

Cool!

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    10 - Cleveland
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    PJ88PJ88 Birthplace of the Toll House Cookie Posts: 1,074
    Really check out Seaweed. They are awesome. Saw them at the Orpheum Theater in Boston. They were amazing live. I believe they really are an underrated band and should have been a lot bigger than they got.
  • Options
    Completely agree with Zidane. These bands are diamonds in the proverbial rough. Not only that Zidane, but you got a post AND an agreement from the hu(man) himself...................Santos!
    "When a person's soul is born in a country, nets are flung at it to hold it back from flight. You speak to me of nationality, language, religion. I shall try to fly past those nets." - James Joyce
  • Options
    Look, my original post was just my own personal musings about how I felt watching the movie at 3 different stages of my Pearl Jam Fan life. The movie DID make me seek out and listen to other bands besides PJ and SG that were featured. Heck, I think I have a Tad CD around here somewhere and I know I have a couple Supersuckers. But the point of it all is I, personally, don't go back now, 15 years later, and listen to those Screaming Trees CD's. I just don't. Maybe you do, and if you do, that's cool. But, I almost always have a PJ CD or .mp3 queued up and playing. The point of that is that PJ's music does stand the test of time, for the most part ("Bugs", maybe not so much). And as for the other bands, I just don't have the same feeling now for them as I did when I first watched the movie in '97.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    anyone suggest what albums to check out for Posies, Love Battery, Seaweed and Coffin Break??
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:

^^^ This. The obscure music on Hype is f'n great. Between the Eyes by Love Battery is one of my all time favorite songs.
    I posted a love battery song in the other music section 3 days ago, and it got no love :( :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6LB0MQI4V4

amazing song..

Hype was great. Never got why the kid has earplugs in his nose lol..
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    anyone suggest what albums to check out for Posies, Love Battery, Seaweed and Coffin Break??
    frosting on the beater-posies, between the eyes-love battery, bill-seaweed, and crawl-coffin break
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    frosting on the beater-posies, between the eyes-love battery, bill-seaweed, and crawl-coffin break

Thanks Santos, I'm on the hunt for those now!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options

I also enjoyed "Actions and Indications" from Seaweed.

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    10 - Cleveland
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    Hub.Hub. Posts: 1,989
    I purchased the Hype! DVD one or two years ago and even though I was a little disappointed since I was hoping for more Pearl Jam, I was aware that it wasn't focused on them.

I don't think I would buy some of the music I've heard, nevertheless, as djjazzy276 wrote: it's more about an era and I really found the DVD interesting and full of information.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    HA30208 wrote:

I saw the movie when it was making the rounds in movie theaters, and one more time on video a couple years later. It's been over a decade. But I do remember watching some of the bands and thinking "Wow, this is pretty awful." So I gotta kind of agree with you. Watching Not for You from that movie or the Corduroy video from Self Pollution radio that was posted here last week... it does NOT suck. It has aged well.
    There are many bands I used to listen to or played certain CDs over and over years ago, and now I can't even imagine listening to a whole CD (i.e. Queensryche.... hey another Seattle band! ha ha... used to love them when I was younger and now I think they just sound totally silly). But every time I put on a PJ album, it's still good and I like it. :)
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 785
    I still listen to Flop all the time. That Rusty Willoughby can write one hell of a song! I haven't really heard much of his work since then, but this post makes me want to go on a hunt...
  • Options
    mdgsolo wrote:
    I still listen to Flop all the time. That Rusty Willoughby can write one hell of a song! I haven't really heard much of his work since then, but this post makes me want to go on a hunt...

Hahaha!!! With all this talk about Hype! got me to listen to the soundtrack last night and when Flop kicked in, I just couldn't believe how an awesome song "Julie Francavilla" is!!! A great pop song that should've been playing on any alternative radio stations!! It has a Pixies feel to it...!

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    10 - Cleveland
    16 - QC - Ottawa