Smashing Pumpkins Vs. PJ

GivenToFly98GivenToFly98 Posts: 163
edited January 2008 in The Porch
idk.... maybe pumpkins...........
I admit it...what's to say......
I'll relive it...without pain......
Backstreet lover on the side of the road
I got a bomb in my temple that is gonna explode
I got a sixteen gauge buried under my clothes, I play...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    uhhhhh PJ.

sooo much more!
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    SP vs PJ in what?

If you're talking music, this is a pretty funny thread. If you're talking about in the ability to bleed money out of their fans, I give a slight edge to SP. Wait, not even a slight edge....a major edge. At least PJ doesn't keep re-releasing the same album over and over again, each time with something slightly different about it (a la Zeitgeist).
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    idk.... maybe pumpkins...........
    omg, who told you this? your bff jill?

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • Options
    No SP fans here????????????????? and im talking music.
    I admit it...what's to say......
    I'll relive it...without pain......
    Backstreet lover on the side of the road
    I got a bomb in my temple that is gonna explode
    I got a sixteen gauge buried under my clothes, I play...
  • Options

Don't get me wrong...I love SP. I'm just bitter because I own 2 copies of Zeitgeist and I still don't have every song from that album. Pisses me off. But musically, I don't think they can compete with PJ.

But, I will say, American Gothic is fucking great. Been listening to it all day.

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    i loved them when they were good...before they broke up. this new group isn't smashing pumpkins. i can still listen to their old stuff and have a good time listening. i've seen them six times live, but they really don't compare to Pearl Jam in my world.

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • Options
    DarkStar wrote:
    i loved them when they were good...before they broke up. this new group isn't smashing pumpkins.

I don't really understand this point of view. Billy has always been the sole songwriting force behind the band, and Jimmy's drumming has always been the only other instrument of note in the band. They're both still there. Billy is still writing the same kind of songs he always has. I guess I don't see the drastic difference.

• Options
    Eddie could take Billy...no doubt.

Jeff could single handedly take on the rest of the band.

It'd be a bloodbath...
    the Minions
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    body of work is PJ, no question!

the relevant question is who had the better song on Singles?

i'd have to say, SP. drown is hypnotic
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Why is this even a question? One is the greatest band of all time, the other is a whiny, pointless group that writes annoyingly shitty songs.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    billy can't sing for shit. well, only if Butch Vig is producing. lost intrest in SP a LONG time ago.
  • Options
    xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    I never lost interest in Smashing Pumpkins. I had none to lose.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    RockKing wrote:
    I don't really understand this point of view. Billy has always been the sole songwriting force behind the band, and Jimmy's drumming has always been the only other instrument of note in the band. They're both still there. Billy is still writing the same kind of songs he always has. I guess I don't see the drastic difference.
    Guess the way I'd compare is amount of music that gets my brain ecstatic....and both SP and PJ do that.....but PJ much more.

Now concerts....PJ wins hands down......not even close...saw SP couple months ago and was sooooo disappointed.....Billy wasn't having a good time....offended most of the audience...and sounded like crap. Even added Pat Benator crap song...wtf
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    rssesq wrote:
    body of work is PJ, no question!

How I was turned on to SP...drown kicks ass....
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    DarkStar wrote:
    omg, who told you this? your bff jill?

ds

funny post

....was thinking same thing....
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Why is this even a question? One is the greatest band of all time, the other is a whiny, pointless group that writes annoyingly shitty songs.

Yep, Smashing Pumpkins wipes the floor with emo Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    rssesq wrote:

Yeh but anything that long will end up being hypnotic!

Oh, I like the Pumpkins but then they made Shitegeist!
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    RockKing wrote:
    I'm just bitter because I own 2 copies of Zeitgeist and I still don't have every song from that album. Pisses me off.

I just found it funny. Sad, but funny.
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    since when has music been a competition? i'll take both thanks
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    Breath and State of Love and Trust are both better than that SP song on singles. So is the MLB song, The Lovemongers cover, the AIC song, even Dyslexic Heart is better. I honestly think that might be the weakest song on the album. I even like the Screaming Trees song better.
    Let's see those 2013 dates in the southern states.
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    Guess the way I'd compare is amount of music that gets my brain ecstatic....and both SP and PJ do that.....but PJ much more.

Now concerts....PJ wins hands down......not even close...saw SP couple months ago and was sooooo disappointed.....Billy wasn't having a good time....offended most of the audience...and sounded like crap. Even added Pat Benator crap song...wtf
    agree with all this... i thought the songs sounded pretty good and high energy live but billy doesnt know how to communicate with his audience for shit... hes not playing in front of a bunch of dark and poetic teenage, gen-x zombies anymore... most of the SP fanbase is older now and not nearly as angsty and his attitude is really apparent... hes an arrogant prick

still love the music tho! :D even zeitgeist had a few good tracks... those that werent ruined by crummy conceptual shit and too much keyboard... you got jimmy back! enough with the electronica! keep rockin!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Eddie could take Billy...no doubt.

It'd be a bloodbath...

Dude Ed is 5'7" and Billy is like 6'3" and Ed has written songs about getting picked on. My prediction - Billy by TKO in round 2.
  • Options
    By the way the Pumpkins just put out a new acoustic EP called American Gothic. Available on Itunes.
  • Options
    Dreamfire2 wrote:
    Billy is like 6'3"
    only when hes wearing his white polyester platform shoes and striped knee high socks :p

• Options
    Dreamfire2 wrote:
    By the way the Pumpkins just put out a new acoustic EP called American Gothic. Available on Itunes.
    wait wait wait! i rushed over to itunes to buy this... and LOW AND BEHOLD! YOU HAVE TO BUY ALLLLL OF ZEITGEIST *AGAIN* TO GET THE NEW SONGS?!?! they are un FUCKING believable! can anyone send me the new tracks? i like the samples from itunes... sounds more like old SP... kindof like the acoustic tonight tonight EP

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    wait wait wait! i rushed over to itunes to buy this... and LOW AND BEHOLD! YOU HAVE TO BUY ALLLLL OF ZEITGEIST *AGAIN* TO GET THE NEW SONGS?!?! they are un FUCKING believable! can anyone send me the new tracks? i like the samples from itunes... sounds more like old SP... kindof like the acoustic tonight tonight EP

That suck big time. If you look for a "Pirate" on the "Bay" where its raining in "Torrents" I suspect you might find it. :)
  • Options
    Dreamfire2 wrote:
    That suck big time. If you look for a "Pirate" on the "Bay" where its raining in "Torrents" I suspect you might find it. :)
    your language is foreign to me... put it in a way that an amish child could understand if you dont mind...

• Options
    Dreamfire2 wrote:
    Dude Ed is 5'7" and Billy is like 6'3" and Ed has written songs about getting picked on. My prediction - Billy by TKO in round 2.
    Yeah but Billy is a real whiny pussy effeminate. Ed is athletic and would be all over him like a spider monkey. Ed would fingerscoop his eyes in 2 seconds.
    the Minions
  • Options
    prince119prince119 Posts: 104
    I wonder what responses he was thinking he would get on a FUCKING PEARL JAM MESSAGE BOARD?
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    can anyone send me the new tracks?
    eh?