Options

Pearl Jam Set To Begin Work On New Album

loveboatcaptloveboatcapt Posts: 3
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Jeff was at the sonics game the other night and this is what he had to say

Sonics Fans First to Know Pearl Jam's Prepping New Album

So the Sonics won last night. Kevin Durant scored a bunch of points and stuff. The biggest highlight, though, came from the seats, when Pearl Jam bassist—and die hard Sonics fan—Jeff Ament donned a headset for a chat with announcer Kevin Calabro.

Jeff commented on Durant's talent, voiced opposition to the Sonics' possible departure, and said our recent snow (quality) was stellar. Regarding his band, Jeff told Calabro, "We're gonna get together here in a couple of weeks and try and write some stuff."

And then the little ball bounced around, people talked about the absence of LeBron James, and Pearl Jam fans freaked out.

Hat tip to Billboard's Jaded Insider, who adds this anticipation-fueling nugget:

"Beyond the upcoming writing session, J.I. is in the know that Pearl Jam is going to play some shows before too long. One appearance may even be ready to announce as early as next week."

Much to Jeff Ament's chagrin, PJ may play live before the Sonics pick up their 12th win. And release a new album before the team knows where they're playing next season.

http://seattlest.com/2008/02/01/sonics_fans_fir.php
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options

So the Sonics won last night. Kevin Durant scored a bunch of points and stuff. The biggest highlight, though, came from the seats, when Pearl Jam bassist—and die hard Sonics fan—Jeff Ament donned a headset for a chat with announcer Kevin Calabro.

Jeff commented on Durant's talent, voiced opposition to the Sonics' possible departure, and said our recent snow (quality) was stellar. Regarding his band, Jeff told Calabro, "We're gonna get together here in a couple of weeks and try and write some stuff."

And then the little ball bounced around, people talked about the absence of LeBron James, and Pearl Jam fans freaked out.

Hat tip to Billboard's Jaded Insider, who adds this anticipation-fueling nugget:

"Beyond the upcoming writing session, J.I. is in the know that Pearl Jam is going to play some shows before too long. One appearance may even be ready to announce as early as next week."

Much to Jeff Ament's chagrin, PJ may play live before the Sonics pick up their 12th win. And release a new album before the team knows where they're playing next season.

Great news. And LeBron or not, the Cav's could have won if they had actually played basketball, instead letting the Sonics run all over them. At least Z tried to play in the second half. Oh well. I will admit, the Sonics just played better, and Durant will be a legend someday. I digress.

Can't wait to hear more new Pearl Jam music. Especially a whole album's worth.
    - Justin

You think the Slayer tour is out, or what?

"Finally! I get to save the earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows." -- Al Gore.
  • Options
    not4unot4u Posts: 513
    Fuck Yea!!
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • Options
    i likey
    If you hate something dont you do it too
    world fucking champs!!!
  • Options
    marcPJfanmarcPJfan Austin, TX Posts: 802
    I think this means that Bonnaroo is only the first show. There WILL be more.
    09/16/95, 09/16/96, 06/29/98, 07/02/98, 07/05/98, 09/08/98, 09/10/98, 09/11/98, 09/18/98, 09/19/98, 06/13/99, 10/30/99, 10/31/99, 05/29/00, 05/30/00, 10/14/00, 10/17/00, 10/18/00, 11/05/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/06/02, 04/05/03, 04/06/03, 06/09/03, 10/22/03, 09/24/04, 05/12/06, 05/13/06, 05/27/06, 05/28/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 06/11/08, 06/12/08, 08/01/08, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 10/04/09, 05/03/10, 05/04/10, 05/06/10, 05/07/10, 07/02/11, 09/03/11, 09/04/11, 10/23/11, 11/15/13, 11/16/13, 10/19/14, 10/25/14, 10/26/14, 11/28/15, 04/23/16, 08/05/16, 08/07/16, 09/09/17, 08/18/18, 09/02/18, 09/04/18, 10/01/21, 10/02/21, 05/06/22, 05/07/22, 05/12/22, 05/13/22, 08/31/23, 09/02/23, 09/13/23, 09/15/23, 09/18/23, 09/19/23
  • Options
    According to pearljamonline.it

On January 31, Jeff Ament appeared at a Seattle Sonics basketball game. Interviewed by announcer Kevin Calabro, Ament revealed that Pearl Jam are "gonna get together here in a couple of weeks and try and write some stuff" for the Seattle band's ninth studio album.

OMFG !
    "Actually we could do a commercial for Dodge, Can't Find A Better Van"
    E.V
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right...

But if what you quoted is the extent of the quote, then I'm not sure I'm that excited... Creatives are always 'trying to write some stuff'.. If they regularly rehearse, they also regularly write. I wouldn't get my hopes up. Going into the studio and recording is a totally different kettle of fish to 'trying to write some stuff'...
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right...

But if what you quoted is the extent of the quote, then I'm not sure I'm that excited... Creatives are always 'trying to write some stuff'.. If they regularly rehearse, they also regularly write. I wouldn't get my hopes up. Going into the studio and recording is a totally different kettle of fish to 'trying to write some stuff'...

I heard Eddie is gonna write about the Giants! No.. That's a lie.. but it would be damn nice!

Anyway.. Yes, Jeff said this, and he also said they're playing "a show" soon.. Which is obviously assumed to be Bonaroo.
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    I was hoping they'd hit the studio soon...
  • Options
    What WOULD be cool is if they debuted some material live before we heard it on record... other bands do it, but PJ? Not so much. That might get me hoping.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    What WOULD be cool is if they debuted some material live before we heard it on record... other bands do it, but PJ? Not so much. That might get me hoping.

They used to do it. I heard RVM, Small Town, Glorified G and Daughter live before vs. came out. Lots of the Vitalogy songs were played live before it was released. Not so much any more, but there's usually one or two - Habit, Lukin, Long Road, Brain of J, I am mine, Thumbing My Way and Gone were all teasers.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    According to pearljamonline.it

On January 31, Jeff Ament appeared at a Seattle Sonics basketball game. Interviewed by announcer Kevin Calabro, Ament revealed that Pearl Jam are "gonna get together here in a couple of weeks and try and write some stuff" for the Seattle band's ninth studio album.

OMFG !

January 31, I knew something good would happen on my birthday.......
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    if so, how long do you guys predict before an album? soonest, if they are starting to work on stuff...
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    yielderyielder Posts: 160
    I hope they make an acousic album !
    Greets Dave
    Antwerp -Belgium- Europe
  • Options
    jessejesse Posts: 170
    New Songs At Bonnaroo?
  • Options

Thanks for sharing, LBC--I wrote that piece for Seattlest, and try to post as much as I can about PJ and related musicians/bands. Glad to know people are reading!
  • Options
    People are even reading way up here in Eastern Canada......Not that far, about 1400kms/870miles EAST of Toronto.....lol
  • Options
    It'd be great with a new album due this summer!!! Couldn't care less about the Bonaroo announcement. Album comes first imo!
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    PJ playing live and road testing songs in the works would kick ass. I had a blast hearing Comatose ( well, Crapshoot back then) and Gone in recent years.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Perhaps they'll visit the studio in Atlanta where they've recorded before. They could meet-up with Brendan O'Brien during the Bonnaroo trip.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    how long do you allthink it will be taken ???
  • Options
    how long do you allthink it will be taken ???

good question! i wanna know peoples opinions. i want to get my hopes up for the summer hehe

and i'm still hoping when they announce banaroo tuesday they'll say something like more news soon enough or hint to something else.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    good question! i wanna know peoples opinions. i want to get my hopes up for the summer hehe

and i'm still hoping when they announce banaroo tuesday they'll say something like more news soon enough or hint to something else.

What if they announce Bonnaroo as official and also issue an early warning at that time to update 10C memberships?

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    ... And now we've heard the first single...

(still laughing... I need air...)

...How did this one get passed the Ed veto?
  • Options
    I am admitttedly a pessimist, but Jeff's comments don't seem to indicate the guys are about to go full on trying to get an album done to me. He says they will get together and try to write some stuff, so I'm guessing an album will be quite some time off. It seems nothing is eminent.....except of course for that southern tour they're about to announce
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    Well to me it seemed like Avocado got out really fast. Mike said last summer that he had a few ideas that he wanted to try out with matt, jeff and stone in separate sessions. Maybe they've already done that. So I think a September release is quite believable...
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    What if they announce Bonnaroo as official and also issue an early warning at that time to update 10C memberships?

that works!
  • Options
    Jackieboy wrote:
    Well to me it seemed like Avocado got out really fast. Mike said last summer that he had a few ideas that he wanted to try out with matt, jeff and stone in separate sessions. Maybe they've already done that. So I think a September release is quite believable...

yea september gets my guess.
  • Options
    Jackieboy wrote:

I guess that could be, maybe they have already worked on some stuff and have some to bring in. Hopefully all you positive-thinking folks are right. I'm just not in a frame of mind to be very positive about anything right now
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,495
    Im thinking March-May they will work on the album.

June-August, couple of shows, Bonnaroo, etc.

September-November A small VFC type of tour. 5-6 shows, couple of appearances.

December break.

Jan-Feb 09 back in studio for a spring release of the new album, probably April.

Summer 2009 Large Scale tour to include Australia, NZ, etc. Then back to the states.

Depending on the election results....the South may...or may not...get their tour.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    zootownzootown Posts: 666
    I was just perusing the Web, came across a site called gotickets.com, and they specifically say that "pearl jam have a studio album due in 2008"- huh?
    I hold the pain, release me!