Options

flattening out my posters

fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
edited January 2008 in The Porch
I have like 9 posters and am trying to get em flattened out. I know I'm NOT supposed to use text books and my own "methods" of flattening em out, so can anyone help me in telling me what I should do? I wanna get em out of their tubes for good and keep em stored flat.

If I have to go to a store to get them flattened or anythign does anyone have any suggestions to stores (I live around the Washington DC/Virginia area) and how much it would cost for each poster?

Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Just get some of these http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/browse.asp?subcat=144
    Then you can put your posters in and put your books on top. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    joseppijoseppi Posts: 58
    Is it not good to keep them rolled? I've got a few rolled together in a cardboard tube. Is that bad?
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    joseppi wrote:
    Is it not good to keep them rolled? I've got a few rolled together in a cardboard tube. Is that bad?
    Yep. At least for a long time. Short term is ok. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    wolfbear wrote:

Good to know! I'll flatten mine out tomorrow!
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    btw - you don't even need the poly sleeves to flatten. as long as you put some paper between each poster and then carefully place your books or whatever else to flatten, you're a-ok. i was simply using kraft paper inbetween to flatten...then i just went and got em all framed. :p however, i was simply going to use the kraft paper to flatten and then if i were to store them flat long-term....put in an archival box, with acid-free paper or use the poly sleeves then. and yes, it really depend on just how long you plan to store them or not.

another great resource:
    http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    wolfbear wrote:
    Just get some of these http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/browse.asp?subcat=144
    Then you can put your posters in and put your books on top. :)

oh, that's all I need to do?

But these come with like 50 or something, lol. I don't need that many.

Regardless, does that mean I don't need to heat press them or whatever?

They've only been rolled up for a couple months so far.

thanks.
  • Options
    wolfbear wrote:

So do you need any special type of paper to put in between the posters? For example, if I had two big pieces of cardboard and put kraft paper in between each poster be okay?
  • Options
    yostaramayostarama Posts: 287
    I flatten my poster's between two peices of foam board, then put them in mylar, then in an art portfolilo. The foam board is about three dollars each and ten sleves of mylar will be about fifty bucks. This is the way I do it and it works well. Later yostarama
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    oh, that's all I need to do?

But these come with like 50 or something, lol. I don't need that many.

Regardless, does that mean I don't need to heat press them or whatever?

They've only been rolled up for a couple months so far.

thanks.

you certainly don't need a heat press for something that's only been stored rolled for a couple of months. a little carefully placed weight should do it. putting them in mylar sleeves is a good idea. helps them be flat, and protects them in a stack.

here's another awesome resource for mylar and storage boxes and such
    http://www.jerrysartarama.com/

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    I just put mine inside one of those science fair boards and they fit perfectly- maybe add a little weight on top and in no time, you're good. Michaels has them for about $3
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,153
    I found this flat file for $300.
    Great investment ... one of my Pearl Jam drawers:
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2196/2190298044_2c5b6030a8_o.jpg
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    I found this flat file for $300.
    Great investment ... one of my Pearl Jam drawers:
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2196/2190298044_2c5b6030a8_o.jpg

Best get a couple of those gems out on the walls ;)....the Hess, Rome, and St. Louis, at least. :D
    "Fuck the talkin', let's start rocking." - E.V. 9-5-00

8/25/98, 8/21/00, 9/5/00, 4/26/03, 5/3/03, 6/24/03, 9/28/05, 10/03/05, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, EV 8/16/08, EV 6/18/09, 5/20/10, 9/15/11, 10/11/13, 10/27/13, 10/1/14, 8/20/16, 8/22/16, TOTD 11/7/16, 8/18/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/11/22, 9/14/22, 9/10/23 coming soon