Options

Playing my guitar while listening to backspacer *WITH TABS*

PJ Fan est. 1990PJ Fan est. 1990 Posts: 1,788
edited September 2009 in The Porch
i do that a lot, play my guitar while listening to music, listening to backspacer while i was playing, started playing along, which is what usually happens when i play while listening to music (go figure) anywho, the basic overall chord progressions in backspacer are fairly simple, and you can easily teach yourself these songs (at least a stripped down acoustic version) i pretty much have supersonic nailed, decent at amongst the waves (still a few kinks) and decent at gonna see my friend (again a few kinks) i'm really good with just breathe except i can't figure out one part, cause i can't decipher the chord he's arpegiating over ed's singing. it's the part in the chorus during the lines "if i didn't i'm a fool you see/no one knows this more then me."...but yeah playing guitar through the album, it's pretty easy for this album. Oh and i know the base notes for the end, but not the treble, that's next on my list
Tabs, well more like chord progressions below
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Black10Black10 Posts: 160
    Nice man! I wish i was good enough at the guitar to just listen to a song and learn it, but i am not quite there yet. I have been playing for a few years..fortunately Pearl Jam is a great band to learn acoustic songs when you are learning.
  • Options
    Black10 wrote:
    Nice man! I wish i was good enough at the guitar to just listen to a song and learn it, but i am not quite there yet. I have been playing for a few years..fortunately Pearl Jam is a great band to learn acoustic songs when you are learning.

it's pretty much just trial and error...play the notes on the low e-sting to see what the chords are, stuff like that...and yeah i know a lot of PJ songs on guitar, first one ever was Small Town, then Man of the Hour, then Black, all great songs for beginners...the song i'm most proud of being able to play is In Hiding, it's so fun to play
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    You should post some tabs!!

I don't quite have the guitar-ear to be able to pick up on stuff just yet, but it's coming.
  • Options
    yeh pearl jam's music isn't that complicated. Aside from matts parts, although i'm not a drummer.

stone and mike really aren't that great. They get by on their writing, which i absolutely love.
  • Options
    Black10Black10 Posts: 160
    Black10 wrote:

it's pretty much just trial and error...play the notes on the low e-sting to see what the chords are, stuff like that...and yeah i know a lot of PJ songs on guitar, first one ever was Small Town, then Man of the Hour, then Black, all great songs for beginners...the song i'm most proud of being able to play is In Hiding, it's so fun to play

yeah Nothingman and Porch are favorites of mine.
  • Options
    just dave wrote:
    yeh pearl jam's music isn't that complicated. Aside from matts parts, although i'm not a drummer.

stone and mike really aren't that great. They get by on their writing, which i absolutely love.

well maybe it's cause i'm not much of a lead guitarist, but i think Mike's solos are pretty difficult, except yellow ledbetter, that i can do and decently well...

as for the tab guy, i can give you chord progressions, and you can figure out strum pattern and the finger picking on your own, it's too time consuming to tab them out...i'll have it on my next post
  • Options
    yeah very simple songs to play on this album...Nothing to complex, just simple chord progressions on each song.
  • Options
    PJ Fan est. 1990PJ Fan est. 1990 Posts: 1,788
    edited September 2009
    ok basically each time i introduce a new chord it's a beat and each proceeding / is a beat so "B / / /" counts 4 beats (the B is beat one then you keep playing B for 3 more beats), There it counts as one full beat if there's a space between them, if they are back to back, then it is played quickly. i hope that doesn't confuse you all

in order of track appearance

Gonna See My Friend:
    Into: B E B E A E A E (2x end on A)
    Verse: B / / / E / / / (4x)
    Chorus: E / GA (8x, the 4th and 8th time there's an eighth rest between the G and A)
    Pre-Bridge: A / / / / / / / G / / / F# / / / E / / / / / / /
    Bridge: A / / / G / / / F# / / / E / / / (2x, 2nd time the E is played differently (listen to get the pattern))

this is just rough, i think the 2nd verse is a bit longer than the first one and same with the chorus'

Just Breathe
    Intro/Verse: C / C7 / C / C7 / Dsus2 / / / / / / / / (6x)
    Pre-Chorus: C / C7 / C / C7 / F / Fadd9 / F / / /
    Chorus G / / / Am / / / G / / / Am / / / F / / / C / Am / F / / / Dsus2 / / / / (let the least note ring for "as i come clean")

*NOTE* there there are parts where you might release strings and play around with suspensions and those kinds of things, just listen to the song to catch those

Amongst The Waves
    Intro: E / / / A / / / E / / / A / / /
    Verse: E / / / A / / / E / / / A / / / B / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / (2x)
    Chorus: A / / / E / / / B / / / / / / / (3x) G D / / D C# / / B / / / / / / /
    Solo: pretty much just B the whole time, it does change chords to D but only for a second, it goes back to B.

as with the first one, the verses and choruses could vary in length throughout the song.

Supersonic

Intro: B///////////////E///////////////C#//G#///////////////E///////////////
    Verse:B/////////////G#/B////////F#////// (3x)
    Chorus: B///////////////E///////////////C#///////////////F#////////E////////
    Solo: B / /A#AF# (rest 4 beats then repeat till solo is over)

those are the ones i figured out pretty much, still working on the others
    Post edited by PJ Fan est. 1990 on
  • Options
    WOOO that was a lot of work, glad i could do it for you guys though
  • Options
    OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    Where's the Fixer? HAHAHA :mrgreen:
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman