Options

Your new Vinyl purchase.

Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
edited December 2005 in Other Music
I know alot of people on here collect vinyl. And I just picked up 'Kid A', the double 10" lp. Great pickup, this sounds so good on vinyl. What have you bought recently?

And what are your "must own" vinyls?
Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    I just got Lost Dogs. Do they realize how hard it is to slide the vinyl out of the sleeves that they give you. You actually have to pull on the vinyl. Bitch over. Pleased at how it sounds on the turntable.

Also scored a ton of Peter Tosh. A couple of brand new presses and some used. Nothing sounds better from the record player than reggae.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I picked up a used copy of "Buckingham-Nicks" a couple of months back....they were a huge draw in the Birmingham, Alabama area prior to joining Fleetwood Mac.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    EnigmaEnigma Posts: 59
    I am fairly new to the vinyl scene. Bought most of Pink Floyd's studio albums and my most recent purchase is Godspeed You! Black Emperor's Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven.
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    I just got Lost Dogs. Do they realize how hard it is to slide the vinyl out of the sleeves that they give you. You actually have to pull on the vinyl. Bitch over. Pleased at how it sounds on the turntable.

Also scored a ton of Peter Tosh. A couple of brand new presses and some used. Nothing sounds better from the record player than reggae.

Lost Dogs is so cool! I always listen to that record. Dude tell me about it, i had to fucking yank Kid A out of the sleeve! Haha. And the reggae thing, I was holding 40 oz. to Freedom, Funeral, and Kid A. I think I'll go back and get Sublime, it probably sounds so smooth on vinyl.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    even flow? wrote:
    I just got Lost Dogs.

Me too..................
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    I can't wait to pre-order the new PJ one, oh man I'm gonna be so excited until I get to tear that plastic off and spin that shit. Anyone have any rituals with their new vinyl? I always burn incense on my new cover, letting the ashes fall on it.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Dick Jones wrote:
    I know alot of people on here collect vinyl. And I just picked up 'Kid A', the double 10" lp. Great pickup, this sounds so good on vinyl. What have you bought recently?

My most recent LP purchase was The Traveling Wilburys Volume 1. I would like to finish off my Led Zeppelin LP's and my Beatles LP's. I have most all PJ vinyls with the exception of the Picture basketball disc and Soldier Field. A few things on my LP wishlist are; Temple Of The Dog and a white vinyl White Album.
  • Options
    White Album on white vinyl would be oh so sweet. That's usually pretty expensive I think. I have a used copy that gets me through it. I need to pick up Revolver. And I also need to finish my Zep catalouge. I can't think of what I need for it.
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Dick Jones wrote:
    White Album on white vinyl would be oh so sweet. That's usually pretty expensive I think. I have a used copy that gets me through it. I need to pick up Revolver. And I also need to finish my Zep catalouge. I can't think of what I need for it.

Revolver was the first album i bought! I agree about Lost Dogs and Kid A being hard to get out.

I'dlike to finish my PJ and Radiohead collection (Binaural, Pablo Honey and the Bends)

The last record I bought was Explosions in the Sky
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    Dick Jones wrote:
    Lost Dogs is so cool! I always listen to that record. Dude tell me about it, i had to fucking yank Kid A out of the sleeve! Haha. And the reggae thing, I was holding 40 oz. to Freedom, Funeral, and Kid A. I think I'll go back and get Sublime, it probably sounds so smooth on vinyl.

probably not so smooth sounding if its a picture disc
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926
    Most recent vinyl purchases were..

Audioslave - Out of Exile (Blue Vinyl)
    Nirvana - Nevermind (Red Vinyl)
    Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlantacism and Plans (180g vinyl)

I also aquired from my uncle..

The Clash - The Clash
    The Ramones - The Ramones
    The Dead Boys - Young Loud & Snotty (Sonic Reducer on it)
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Dick Jones wrote:

I got Wilco's A Ghost Is Born for my birthday last month. That's a great 180 g vinyl for anyone who's looking for a quality purchase.

As for must-own pieces, I say Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited. Every record collection should contain that one.
    Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Dick Jones wrote:

Vinyl Kid A? Good find!

My Beatles collection is all original vinyl, as are my first copies of my Who albums. We have three copies of Led Zeppelin IV and a ton more from the 70's. They're all playable, which I continuously remind my friends who think I should get the collection out of the living room. Philistines!
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    i have recently bought Vitalogy and Yield...so exited about it...im going to get those on january because i order them through internet...
    i wanna have every pj album on vinyl!
    anyone selling me something??????
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    I got Wilco's A Ghost Is Born for my birthday last month. That's a great 180 g vinyl for anyone who's looking for a quality purchase.

As for must-own pieces, I say Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited. Every record collection should contain that one.

I've seen a ghost is born in a few stores but never got it, always saw things i wanted more but it's always been on my list

isn't it so exciting finding a new used record store w/ a nice selection? there was a great one chapell hill that had such a great collection of stuff i never saw anywhere else...almost every smashing pumpkins, man...or astro man?, exhaust...
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    vinylguy wrote:
    i have recently bought Vitalogy and Yield...so exited about it...im going to get those on january because i order them through internet...
    i wanna have every pj album on vinyl!
    anyone selling me something??????

they sell all of the studio albums thru the 10club except for no code and binaural. they sell out now and then but restock after a while
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    probably not so smooth sounding if its a picture disc

It wasn't the picture disc. Although they had that too, Im not a fan of those.
  • Options
    I just won a 7" single (Broke) from Modest Mouse. It is out of pressing and somewhat rare.
  • Options
    Penny453Penny453 Posts: 200
    I just bought Wintersleeps Vinyl...they only have one....it's of their new cd. I'm also currently attempting to hunt down The Fragile By NIN...and also recently foudn and purchased TDS By NIN as well. :D
    "And even when I'm right with you I'm so far away"
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Penny453 wrote:
    I'm also currently attempting to hunt down The Fragile By NIN...:D

I have a copy of this -- one of my favorites in my collection. These days, a sealed copy of The Fragile will go for high bucks on eBay much like Binaural does. It's really sweet -- a three record set w/ a few additional tracks that are not on the CD.

Latest vinyl purchases for me:

In Utero - Nirvana (180g pressing)
    13 Tales from Urban Bohemia - Dandy Warhols
    Songs for the Deaf - QotSA (red vinyl)
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    Songs for the Deaf on red vinyl! Lucky. I've got the black one, with the spanish version of 'Gonna Leave You' and some other shit.
  • Options
    lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    Dick Jones wrote:
    Songs for the Deaf on red vinyl! Lucky. I've got the black one, with the spanish version of 'Gonna Leave You' and some other shit.

i snagged both a few years back.. i felt it was worth it.. haven't really listened to them in ages as i generally listen to music in the car since i'm not home enough to sit back and listen to music..

My vinyl collection it seems to be more for looks as nearly everything i have on vinyl i have on cd with a handful of exceptions..

as for my last purchase... a used copy of Shabooh Shoobah.. that was a while ago too.. October maybe.. I need to get something soon.. maybe I'll venture over to ebay..
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    Tool - Lateralus picture disk
    PJ Cincy 00, Lex 03, Columbus 03, Hershey 03, Benaroya 03, Boston 9/28/04, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, St.L 04, Asheville 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Hamilton 05, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Philly 05, Chicago I & II 06, Cincy 06, Las Vegas 06, SD 06, EV LA2 08, Columbia 08, Camden I & II 08
  • Options
    Enigma wrote:
    I am fairly new to the vinyl scene. Bought most of Pink Floyd's studio albums and my most recent purchase is Godspeed You! Black Emperor's Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven.

I love that record! If you don't already have it, pick up F#A#(infinity) on vinyl- it's a little different than the CD, with a locked groove on one side. The packaging is hand-assembled, and it still comes with a penny pressed on the RR tracks outside Hotel2Tango.

My most recent vinyl purchase was the new Acid Ranch record (Bob from Guided By Voices). Still haven't received it in the mail, but any day now...
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • Options
    I love that record! If you don't already have it, pick up F#A#(infinity) on vinyl- it's a little different than the CD, with a locked groove on one side. The packaging is hand-assembled, and it still comes with a penny pressed on the RR tracks outside Hotel2Tango.

My most recent vinyl purchase was the new Acid Ranch record (Bob from Guided By Voices). Still haven't received it in the mail, but any day now...

lift your skinny fists...is the only gybe album i don't have. i have all the fly pan am and a silver mt zion, too.

the cd is different from the vinyl of F#A#infinity b/c the tapes got partialy damaged when pressing the cd so they recorded again to make up for it....but getting the penny was cool, and i like the 3 different covers.

i saw a mars volta single today but didn't get it...2 songs, forget which ones, the last one was an acoustic version...also saw somenice zappa
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    pipedreams wrote:
    Tool - Lateralus picture disk
    Bought that a few months ago, still in it's wrap. With the way the Aenima LP is selling on eBay ($150+), I think I'll keep it wrapped. May even buy another.

And to jb13, I have F#a#(infinity) on CD, but intend on getting it on vinyl if I find it for the right price. I would also like to purchase vinyls from Sigur Ros.

El Kabong, the Mars Volta single you probably saw was The Widow. The first song on that single is "Frances The Mute", which is supposed to be the "decoder" song for the album of the same title.
  • Options
    Enigma wrote:
    Bought that a few months ago, still in it's wrap. With the way the Aenima LP is selling on eBay ($150+), I think I'll keep it wrapped. May even buy another.

And to jb13, I have F#a#(infinity) on CD, but intend on getting it on vinyl if I find it for the right price. I would also like to purchase vinyls from Sigur Ros.

El Kabong, the Mars Volta single you probably saw was The Widow. The first song on that single is "Frances The Mute", which is supposed to be the "decoder" song for the album of the same title.

yes, that was the single.

as for the gybe album their label sells them pretty cheap. http://www.cstrecords.com

i saw a limited edition of lateralus on vinyl a few months ago but it was almost $70
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    My latest vinyl purchages were

dEUS - Pocket revolution
    Kaizers Orchestra - Meastro

Have to get PJ albums benaroyal hall and lost dogs but they are hard to find here in Holland.

I also really like the vinyl album "Tommy" of the Who and David Bowie live at the philadelpia Tower.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun!
    2000 Pinkpop Festival, Netherlands
    2006 Arnhem, Netherlands
    2006 Antwerp, Belgium
    2007 Nijmegen, Netherlands
    2009 Philadelphia 4, PA
    2010 Bristow, VA
    2012 Amsterdam 1, Netherlands
    2013 Buffalo, NY
    2013 Baltimore, MD
    2015 Global Citizen Festival New York, NY
    2016 Hampton, VA
  • Options
    Definately, Tommy is very cool. I have that and Who's Next. Baba on vinyl kicks ass, the way it comes in.

And didn't Lateralus just come out on vinyl? That would be cool to get, but I've never seen it anywhere.

By the way, what does the double No Code vinyl look like? What is the other sleeve, I have the single LP version, and wondering is it worth it to buy a new one?
  • Options
    Dick Jones wrote:
    And didn't Lateralus just come out on vinyl? That would be cool to get, but I've never seen it anywhere.
    Yeah, the vinyl Lateralus recently came out. Tower Records has it on their website. A little pricey, but it's only going to increase in value since it is a limited edition.