Options

Chicago 2009=legendary shows???

madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
edited May 2009 in The Porch
I'm just wondering if anyone thinks the Chicago shows will be particularly awesome? If so, which one. Also, do you think Monday night will be a better chance for a person with a high 10C number?
Nashville-00
Nashville-03
Chicago-07
E.V. Milwaukee-08
Chicago 1 & 2-09
Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
Wrigley-13
St. Paul-14
Milwaukee-14
Denver-22
St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    I'm just wondering if anyone thinks the Chicago shows will be particularly awesome? If so, which one. Also, do you think Monday night will be a better chance for a person with a high 10C number?
    Anyone can hope on any of those... I know I am :)
  • Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 386
    Hate to be pessimistic but it doesn't seem like the band does many "legendary" shows anymore. since 2005 (like philly) it seems like the only legandary ones have been the small club shows, a la Vic 07 or the san fran shows in 06. other than that i feel like the 2006 tour they didn't have the occasional super long show like they did in 03 for MSG, Mainsfield, state college, etc. Not to say they don't go out there and kick ass every single night, it's just not as much of a "Holy F*CK!!!" aspect in the tour.

but i would LOVE me two legandary shows. I'm missing my first day of classes for night 2!
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    poto101 wrote:
    Hate to be pessimistic but it doesn't seem like the band does many "legendary" shows anymore. since 2005 (like philly) it seems like the only legandary ones have been the small club shows, a la Vic 07 or the san fran shows in 06. other than that i feel like the 2006 tour they didn't have the occasional super long show like they did in 03 for MSG, Mainsfield, state college, etc. Not to say they don't go out there and kick ass every single night, it's just not as much of a "Holy F*CK!!!" aspect in the tour.

but i would LOVE me two legandary shows. I'm missing my first day of classes for night 2!

Look at the set lists from last tour it was some crazy stuff. Bonnaroo was a long show last year with many suprises.
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    With the UC there will be a time limit as always so they won't be 3+ hours unless they drop an opening act or something crazy like that. Still, I expect them to do something special with each night's setlists since this isn't a full formal tour, and unlike the festivals they're playing they'll have more freedom.

My guesses:
    Ten all the way through
    At least a one or two new songs. Maybe more.
    New screenname for the new site. At least for now. Previously Lackofdave
    Blogging at <a href="http://www.dadtherapy.com">Dad Therapy</a>
  • Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    With the UC there will be a time limit as always so they won't be 3+ hours unless they drop an opening act or something crazy like that. Still, I expect them to do something special with each night's setlists since this isn't a full formal tour, and unlike the festivals they're playing they'll have more freedom.

My guesses:
    Ten all the way through
    At least a one or two new songs. Maybe more.
    curfews blow!
  • Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 386
    Oxxys wrote:
    poto101 wrote:

Look at the set lists from last tour it was some crazy stuff. Bonnaroo was a long show last year with many suprises.

yeah i was at bonnaroo. Release in the middle of the set, All Night, WMA and Who you are. Great set, just not one that i feel will be remembered the way some other shows on their past tours have been.

here's to hoping we see something special, and that they have plenty of time off between night 2 and their next show. going right from europe to playing toronto to playing chicago with only 3 days off between, a bit exhausting for any band with traveling and the time differance.
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,890
    I have a question...what would you consider "legendary"?

what is left to do? outside of a really long show, is there anything they can play which would blow your mind?

I dont think they can play much longer than they already do. 2.5-3 hours a night is unheard of these days for a band that doesnt just stand up there and "jam."

the only thing that I can think of is if I got to see a full acoustic show (like Benaroya) or if I got to see a mini-Temple reunion.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    non-entity wrote:
    the only thing that I can think of is if I got to see a full acoustic show (like Benaroya) or if I got to see a mini-Temple reunion.

or the combination of those things which was already done in Santa Barbara '03...almost all the songs from Benaroya plus Temple reunion...probably the most "legendary" show I can think of, but people don't discuss it much...
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    oh no, I smell hype coming. Overhyping things blows.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    oh no, I smell hype coming. Overhyping things blows.

it's already wayyyy overhyped. Luckily it will kick total ass, even if it doesn't qualify as "epic" for some....
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Here's hoping. As for the person who says 06 didn't have great shows, Grand Rapids was pretty amazying, was it legendary, maybe not, but it was one of those "holy shit" shows. If I remember correctly in 06 they didn't stop playing until about 11:30 at the UC shows. I'm expecting some pretty amazing shows, and hopefully TOR as well but I think Chi will be better, night 2 being the best of course.

Wouldn't mind getting Release (best opener) and Long Road (never heard) as openers, and some other stuff I haven't heard (All those yesterdays, It's OK tag, WMA, Rats, and anything Temple of the Dog).
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,890
    non-entity wrote:

or the combination of those things which was already done in Santa Barbara '03...almost all the songs from Benaroya plus Temple reunion...probably the most "legendary" show I can think of, but people don't discuss it much...

true, probably because there isnt an official release and so many people here are opposed to listening to audience recordings. I prefer Benaroya because the had a chance to delve deeper into their catalog, but SB03 was indeed a legendary show, IMO.

2 shows that I think are very underrated are 1.14.95 and 1.15.95. a lot of passion in those 2 Constitution Hall shows. it almost isnt fair to choose anything from 1994-1996 in this discussion, because any show from those years blows everything else out of the water.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    Im soo mad night 2 in Chicago is happening and I have to miss it. Now night 1 is gonna be watered down. Fuck I wish I could stay for the second show!!
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    Im soo mad night 2 in Chicago is happening and I have to miss it. Now night 1 is gonna be watered down. Fuck I wish I could stay for the second show!!

Im glad for everyone that's going to the second night, I'm sad I have to miss it too, I have to fly back to Miami on Monday morning cant swing staying one more night.
    But not necessarily will the show be watered down, Gorge I was way better than Gorge II, same with MSG 2003, same with Philly last year, not always the last show in a town is the best.
    Regardless both shows will be great and Im feel lucky Im catching the band at least once this year :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    YES
  • Options
    Running In The DarkRunning In The Dark Denver Posts: 674

Im glad for everyone that's going to the second night, I'm sad I have to miss it too, I have to fly back to Miami on Monday morning cant swing staying one more night.
    But not necessarily will the show be watered down, Gorge I was way better than Gorge II, same with MSG 2003, same with Philly last year, not always the last show in a town is the best.
    Regardless both shows will be great and Im feel lucky Im catching the band at least once this year :D

What positive and thankful on this board??? You must be crazy... :D
    107 Shows and counting
  • Options
    What affect will the night #2 have on the first night? I have to get back to GR early on Monday so night #2 is out of the question for me. I cannot wait for the summer, second year in a row I get to see Ed and the full band. It is great being a fan of a band who you get to see every year.
    RFK 6/13/98 -Tibetan Freedom, Pittsburgh 8/25/98, Merriweather Post 9/4/00, Grand Rapids 10/03/04 - MoveOn.org, Palace of Auburn Hills 5/22/06, Grant Park 8/05/07 - Lollapalooza, Verizon Center, DC 6/22/08, Chicago 8/22/08 - EDDIE, Baltimore 6/14/09 - EDDIE, United Center 8/23/09, Verizon Wireless 5/7/10
  • Options
    VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    Who cares Toronto will be better. We will be louder and more drunk
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV