Options

(CLOSED HA HA)VINYL...No More Bitching Please...A Case Study

Comments

• Options
    gfrasergfraser Posts: 686
    lukin14 wrote:
    whats the difference between the 10C and retail version of ITW vinyl?

10C version included a 7" in addition to the regular LP :)

wrong! they all included a 7" single, there is no special "ten club version". unless you want to count the special damaged jackets :lol:

also mark me down for the buy to listen group. i do like the fact they are limited edition but i could care less about the actual value.
    This post is © by gfraser
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I admit it... I buy them now because I am obsessive compulsive. I got the earlier albums when they came out and there used to be The Wherehouse, Tower Records, MusicPlus and Sam Goodys... just because it was nice to see large format LPs again. The novelty of a mini version CD of albums i bought as a kid wore off.
    Now... I buy them just so I will have a complete set.
    Monetary value? I don't care because i will never sell them. I will give them as a set to one of my Pearl Jam friends via my will. What they do with them, i don't care... i'll be dead.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    gfraser wrote:
    lukin14 wrote:
    whats the difference between the 10C and retail version of ITW vinyl?

10C version included a 7" in addition to the regular LP :)

wrong! they all included a 7" single, there is no special "ten club version". unless you want to count the special damaged jackets :lol:

also mark me down for the buy to listen group. i do like the fact they are limited edition but i could care less about the actual value.

Actually not even the damaged jackets were exclusive to the 10C, I bought through 1 through auralexploits and the jacket was damaged as well.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I have them to play and hope they go up in value. Some of them I haven't played yet because of that issue, but I promise they will be played by me and I will not sell them.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    I have a couple PJ vinyls, they get played, they are in the milk crates with the other vinyls I own.
    Montreal '98, '00 & '05
    Toronto '98
    Albany '00
    Las Vegas '03
    Tampa '08
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I made 4 sweet ass vinyl bowls out of my Benaroya hall set.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    awesome
    i dont give a shit about value..i have a giant box of vinyl and i take good enough care just so i can continue to enjoy them in the future
    i was lucky enough to inherit some cool albums besides my pj that i prob couldnt afford
  • Options
    is this a joke? what is going on here? what is this?
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    :shock: :evil: :lol:
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Regardless of what you were looking for as far as answers and following directions and all of that other bs you just spewed. I buy the vinyl and EVERYTHING else simply because I LOVE it. I have a kick ass collection....a kick ass wife who allows it to floursih...a kick ass PASSION for this band and EVERYTHING that goes along with it....and a KICK FUCKING ASS place to house it all!! THIS is ME!! VALUE has NEVER and I repeat NEVER been a factor!! And anyone on this board or in my daily life that knows me will attest to it!! :-)

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d144/scottiepj/
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    Regardless of what you were looking for as far as answers and following directions and all of that other bs you just spewed. I buy the vinyl and EVERYTHING else simply because I LOVE it. I have a kick ass collection....a kick ass wife who allows it to floursih...a kick ass PASSION for this band and EVERYTHING that goes along with it....and a KICK FUCKING ASS place to house it all!! THIS is ME!! VALUE has NEVER and I repeat NEVER been a factor!! And anyone on this board or in my daily life that knows me will attest to it!! :-)

One day my friend I’m going to go for coffee and cookies to your house or beer and pretzels (whichever you like best) so I can go through everything you have in that room! LOL (I’ll treat) :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options

Where do you live? I'd love to see your collection some day
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
  • Options

I live in Spokane, WA.. 275 miles east of Seattle...13 miles from the WA/ID border...You ever make it out this way...Hit me up. It will always be a working in progress!! :-)

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options

I live in Spokane, WA.. 275 miles east of Seattle...13 miles from the WA/ID border...You ever make it out this way...Hit me up. It will always be a working in progress!! :-)
    That's too bad. I used to live in Bellingham when I went to grad school. Now I am in VT and my collection is growing daily. You coming to any Ed shows?
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,803

I FLIP
    THEREFORE I AM..........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    [/quote]
    That's too bad. I used to live in Bellingham when I went to grad school. Now I am in VT and my collection is growing daily. You coming to any Ed shows?[/quote]

You know...I am still undecided, really. My current answer would be no....But you never know. Opportunities can always be a factor and sometimes they are last minute...:-)

• Options

I FLIP
    THEREFORE I AM..........

What up, SPEEDY!!!

• Options

Kick Ass!!!! :)
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    cordurologycordurology Posts: 226

Holy crap.. I want to live in that room.

If a Pearl Jam museum ever opens up, now I know who'll be responsible :).
    Lex 03, Gorge 05, Cincy 06
  • Options

Kick Ass!!!! :)

Looks like my guitar room!

Very impressive collection...hopefully, if you have kids, someday you will be dying and sell it all off to
    the R & R Hall of Fame and pay for your kids' college.... ;)
  • Options

Holy crap.. I want to live in that room.

If a Pearl Jam museum ever opens up, now I know who'll be responsible :).

It is actually its own building behind my house. 24x30 foot with 14 foot ceilings! Was a wood shop when we bought the house, but it is the SOLE reason for the purchase!! The house itself didnt have enough room for my collection..That, and my wife wanted to keep it separate!!..She actually found the house. Called me and said that she found a shop that I could turn into a PJ House...Oh and by the way, there is a house I like on the lot as well... Carpet...big screen...nice music system...internet..cable phone, the whole eight!! Would be the whole nine, but it still needs a bathroom!! lol

• Options
    I try to buy in 3's... One to play, one to keep, one to trade or sell..

bottom line pearl jam is a business so whats the big deal if i flip one?
    Tour with fucking NOFX
  • Options

It's no big deal at all...I'm just trying to get some people to actually admit it..so far, only three of you...so KUDOS to you...

Obviously there is HUGE demand...still LOTS of buzz on the PJ volcom front.......
  • Options

It's no big deal at all...I'm just trying to get some people to actually admit it..so far, only three of you...so KUDOS to you...

Why is it so hard for you to believe that some people collect for the love of collecting??

• Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    edited April 2009
    So it seems obvious that the OP grossly over estimated how many people buy to flip/collect for value. I think this is because everyone colors their view of the world based on their own experience.

With that said I'm sure there are plenty of people who actually want to buy stuff for the value and are not willing to put themselves out there and admit it.

But this board is populated with the most dedicated 5% of all Ten Club members, so your results are bound to be skewed towards nutballs (myself included) who collect for the love and passion and not for the $$$.

So where do I stand? Well I never bought a vinyl before this year, and passed on ITTW. But recently I got bit by the bug. The reality is until recently I didn't have the stability to have a kick ass system and record player.

I've bought and traded for:

ITTW - for a Kenyon Hall poster I got from a friend in another trade. This LP is opened and the sleeve slightly damaged. My record player and system should be set up by the end of the month and I can't wait to play this.
    Not intending to flip it or sell it. Want to play it!

Riot Act - bought on eBay for $35.00 This did not include the sleeve. Just the record. Plan on spinning it, as the resale value is next to nothing without the art work.

Ten - My buddy bought me the picture disk for $25.00. Will be spun, or perhaps I will sell it, as I now have the Reissue, so this is extra. But it is never going to be worth more than $25.00 to $30.00, not much of an investment.

Vitalogy - From a member of the board for I think $30.00 delivered. Used.

V's - This was my most kick ass find. I bought it from AACS autographs, one of the best in the business for $15.00 plus around $8.00 for shipping. It is signed by Mike and Stone. I was shocked at how little it went for. And the reality is I'm more psyched about the record than I am about the sigs. In fact it came over the xmas holiday and had a little water damage to the bottom right of the sleeve. No big deal as I don't plan to flip it, and don't have dreams of it increasing in value to sell later.

10 redux deluxe edition - Was psyched to buy this, now I'm a bit over it, but plan to spin these records. Will probably trade away some of the collectible stuff if I find myself in need of other things, but that was not my original intention.

Volcom LP and T-Shirt - I had zero interest in this when it went on sale. When I saw one sell on eBay for like $177.00 I went looking for it again. This time for the investment value. Couldn't find one. My buddy actually called and bought me one. So I have that and I guess I'm not going to spin it, so it is for the value. Might trade it in the future..... but could throw it on the record player. The shirt is a medium and I'm an XL so not much I can do with that but collect it.

Fan Club singles - have a dozen or so of these. Will spin them.

And finally just for the record, I have absolutely no problem with people buying for value, or to spin.

If I had money I would desire an unopened copy for my collection and an open copy to spin. I'd then love to see the sealed copy become valuable, cause that can be one of the enjoyable aspects of collecting anything.
    Post edited by Wilds on
  • Options
    OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    was the LP of VS released before the cd? i dont think so. vitalogy you mean, right?

no VS

I distinctly remember...and I'm not talking fan club back then, just retail...I bought it at Let It Be Records in Minneapolis

i dont think it was BEFORE the cd, that is very vitalogy sounding. i dont doubt it was released at the same time, because VS broke the record for first week of sales. it couldnt do that just on vinyl. i could be wrong of course, id just really like to know, if anybody can shed some light

You are correct. It was Vitalogy that was released in vinyl 2 weeks before anything else. If you have the book "None too fragile' on page 119 I think, it states that very phrase.
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • Options
    LOV2ROCKLOV2ROCK Minneapolis/St.Paul Posts: 822
    Vs. was the one released on vinyl a week before the cd.
    I know for a fact,as i bought 8 of them back in 93 at a store
    In minneapolis. Our local alternative radio station back then,
    93.7 the Edge was sponsoring a deal that night.
    For every copy of the vinyl you bought,you received a voucher
    For a cd copy to be picked up the next week.
    I believe i paid over $100.00 for the 8 copies i bought that night.

I gave most of the cd's to friends as gifts (the ecopak kind), and
    Kept all the vinyls sealed except for one to play myself.
    I finally decided to sell the sealed ones this last year. Made a lot
    Of people happy.
    Bought these before i joined the ten club. In fact i joined the club
    When i found a form inside the album to join for $5.00 cash only.
  • Options
    Lov2rock wrote:
    Vs. was the one released on vinyl a week before the cd.
    I know for a fact,as i bought 8 of them back in 93 at a store
    In minneapolis. Our local alternative radio station back then,
    93.7 the Edge was sponsoring a deal that night.
    For every copy of the vinyl you bought,you received a voucher
    For a cd copy to be picked up the next week.
    I believe i paid over $100.00 for the 8 copies i bought that night.

I gave most of the cd's to friends as gifts (the ecopak kind), and
    Kept all the vinyls sealed except for one to play myself.
    I finally decided to sell the sealed ones this last year. Made a lot
    Of people happy.
    Bought these before i joined the ten club. In fact i joined the club
    When i found a form inside the album to join for $5.00 cash only.

I always thought that most vinyl was released a week before the cds? Not just a pj thing...Thought I read that some years back....

• Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Here it is...99.5% of all the vinyl collectors on this board are primarily interested in them for their projected 'value' in the future...
    I call complete bullshit on that made up stat.

I primarily want to buy sealed vinyl records so I know that I am the first to play them. I do not own a single vinyl record that has never spin on my turntable. I have absolutely zero plans of ever selling my record collection. Those are the fact. Do with them as you will. :P
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118

I FLIP
    THEREFORE I AM..........
    I flip Speedy the bird. That's all I flip. :lol: