Options

PJ w/ Bono - Toronto

ontheroadontheroad Posts: 249
edited February 2009 in The Porch
Anybody have a clue what Bono is singing during RITFW in Toronto w/ PJ in 2006? Sounds like he is tossing out props to the boys, but can't quite make it all out.
"I remember when you sang that song about today, now it's tomorrow and everything has changed." - Bu$hleaguer
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,850
    '05 right?

http://www.atu2.com/lyrics/songinfo.src?SID=750

"Rockin' In The Free World" (live from Toronto)

There are colors on the street
    Red, white, and blue
    People shuffling their feet
    People sleeping in their shoes
    You got a drug

There's a warning sign in the road ahead
    There's a lot of people saying we'd be better off dead
    Don't feel like Satan, I am to them
    So I try forget them any way I can

Keep on rockin' in the free world

There’s a girl in the night
    With her baby in hand
    Under an old street light
    Next to a garbage can

Now she put her kid away, she's gone to get a hit
    She hates her life and what she's done with it
    That's one more kid that'll be cool
    Never get to fall in love, never get to be held

We silence them with culture
    Made you look, you do do what I say
    Got to feeling like you ma-ma-ma-ma-may
    Those who want you dead understand what you feel
    Got your manical manner, voice of steel
    Got the flags and rocks, we got the eyes of cocks
    I wish 'em stay up on the board until he kill the jocks
    I got the super soul, he got the man of steel
    They got the high you want to feel
    And in you the name is real

Play down

It would be difficult to work harder than that man
    Keeping us in the free world
    That's all I want to say

There's a thousand points of light
    For the African man
    There's a kinder, gentler coming to help your hand
    There's department stores and toilet paper
    Styrofoam garbage for the ozone layer
    There's a fan of the people, he's standing on the side
    He's got fuel to burn, he's got roads to drive

There's someone that needs to understand
    I'm here to see Pearl Jam
    There making me believing again
    I'll never say never again
    They're making me believe them again

They rock, rock, rock, rock, rock
    Rock, rock, rock, rock, rock
    Rock, rock, rock, rock, rock

Thank you
    Thank you sir
    I love you

(This song, written by Neil Young, was performed by Pearl Jam with Bono on co-lead vocals in Toronto on Sept. 19, 2005. The full concert is available for download exclusively at pearljam.com)
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    ontheroad wrote:
    Anybody have a clue what Bono is singing during RITFW in Toronto w/ PJ in 2006? Sounds like he is tossing out props to the boys, but can't quite make it all out.
    I don't think Bono even had a clue. Way to ruin a classic rock anthem. That show was terrible.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    ontheroad wrote:
    I don't think Bono even had a clue. Way to ruin a classic rock anthem. That show was terrible.
    anything with Bono is terrible. :roll:
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,850
    BeerBaron wrote:
    ontheroad wrote:

It wasn't that bad! I didn't like though that Ed would talk about Bono many times of the show! :?
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    BeerBaron wrote:
    ontheroad wrote:

It wasn't that bad! I didn't like though that Ed would talk about Bono many times of the show! :?
    Setlist was terrible. Greatest hits show.

I rate it dead last of the shows I've been to.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    damendamen Posts: 104
    Bono and U2 are great. Teaming with Pearl Jam is an awesome moment, no matter what anyone thinks.

and 'With or without you" is one of the BEST SONGS EVER!!
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    damen wrote:
    and 'With or without you" is one of the BEST SONGS EVER!!

Add "ONE" to that and you've got something there.

*not the version he did with that R&B singer though. I'm talking about the real deal.
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    i love Bono & U2, but Bono CANNOT adlib lyrics, he needs to have them prepared. Check outh the difference between Bonos "improvising" on the Make Poverty History RITFW, and then the one in Hawaii few weeks later. After having practiced, he gives out something that isnt cringe inducing, and thankfully no mention of UJam. *shudders*.

Funny things is at U2 shows he does actually change lyrics frequently without butchering them as badly. He's a bit more corny than Ed alright, and it shows when they perform together.
  • Options
    DD164485DD164485 Posts: 149
    It was cool to see the guys from U2 rocking out to Pearl Jam side stage, but I could have done without Bono coming on stage and rapping over Mike's guitar solo. Easily one of the worst versions of RITFW ever...followed closely by the horrible version they did together in Austrailia a few years ago.

I'm really hoping Pearl Jam retires this song. They play it way too much and it honestly hasn't sounded good for a very long time.
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    I didn't hate the show - some nice U2 tags (i.e. Bad) and some not so nice ones (Yaweah ????) - Great Release to open if I recall. The Bono freestyle in RITFW was pretty awful though - we were all laughing hysterically. Also one of those classic shows where there was a row of bankers behind me with comp'd tickets talking about how this was the bands first time touring since 1993 and how he was pumped to see the reunion.
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,736
    mjb wrote:
    There was a row of bankers behind me with comp'd tickets talking about how this was the bands first time touring since 1993 and how he was pumped to see the reunion.
    Hahaha. Did you 'accidentally' spill beer on them?
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    BeerBaron wrote:

So was Lollapalooza... which I rate one of the best I've ever seen, better than the Vic.
  • Options
    DD164485DD164485 Posts: 149
    BeerBaron wrote:

So was Lollapalooza... which I rate one of the best I've ever seen, better than the Vic.

Yes...but Lollapalooza was a whole other thing.
    What they lacked in setlist, they made up for in performance.

The Toronto show with U2 and Bono was lackluster in every regard. Eddie was severely hungover, screwed up nearly every song, and the band was really sloppy throughout.
    This bootleg is a painful listen.

The only saving grace of this show was an excellent renditon of "Harvest Moon" save for the harmonica solo which Eddie completly botched.

This was one of the sloppiest shows of the 2005 tour.

I've always felt that bringing Edge and Bono up for RITFW was an attempt to turn a rather shitty show into something special.

Too bad even Bono couldn't save them that night.
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:

Good point. I should have elaborated further, but it looks like the guy in the next post did it for me. It wasn't just the setlist (greatest hits) factor. It was everything about the show.