Options

Hold Steady Live CD/DVD

soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
edited January 2010 in Other Music
From an e-mail I got yesterday:

"The Hold Steady announce an April 7 release date for A Positive Rage, a double disc package featuring a documentary on DVD and their first-ever live album. The set will be released on April 6 on Rough Trade Records in the UK and Europe."

Does this mean no US release? That'd be a bummer.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I can't imagine it not being released here.....read this yesterday on rollingstone.com

The Hold Steady will release their first live album A Positive Rage on April 7th. In addition to a CD stocked full of tracks from the band’s earlier discography like 2004’s Almost Killed Me and 2006’s Boys & Girls In America, the package will also feature a DVD with a 53-minute documentary detailing the band’s voyage from their first-ever London concerts in 2006 to their return back to their native Minneapolis. The film will also feature backstage interviews, fan commentary and never-before-seen live footage.

As for the live album itself, the songs were performed on Halloween 2007 at a sold-out show at Chicago’s Metro. The enhanced album will also feature five bonus studio tracks, including two unreleased songs “Spectres” and “40 Bucks.” Rounding out the whole package is the booklet, filled with personal photos and memories of the tour by band members including frontman Craig Finn. While very few cuts from the band’s most recent LP Stay Positive, Rolling Stone’s 36th best album of 2008, make it onto A Positive Rage, you can hear the newer tracks live when the Hold Steady tours in April, including a slot at this year’s Coachella Festival. Check the track list for A Positive Rage below:

A Positive Rage
    1. Intro
    2. Stuck Between Stations
    3. The Swish
    4. Chips Ahoy!
    5. Massive Nights
    6. Ask Her For Adderall
    7. Barfruit Blues
    8. Same Kooks
    9. You Gotta Dance (With Who You Came With)
    10. Lord, I’m Discouraged
    11. You Can Make Him Like You
    12. Your Little Hoodrat Friend
    13. Southtown Girls
    14. Citrus
    15. First Night
    16. Girls Like Status
    17. Killer Parties
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options

"The Hold Steady announce an April 7 release date for A Positive Rage, a double disc package featuring a documentary on DVD and their first-ever live album. The set will be released on April 6 on Rough Trade Records in the UK and Europe."

reading that, it sounds to me as if the US release date is april 7. i think they were just clarifying how it was being distributed internationally on april 6, since many people distribute through other companies overseas.
  • Options
    ZosoCatZosoCat Posts: 176
    this will be a cool release.. looking forward to hearing this. I wish they had more songs from their newer album but oh well still a good mix from their first 3 albums.
  • Options

reading that, it sounds to me as if the US release date is april 7. i think they were just clarifying how it was being distributed internationally on april 6, since many people distribute through other companies overseas.

Damn, I didn't even catch that distinction. Good call!

Exciting news, though I have to admit the setlist seems slightly unusual. I was at the show they did at the Metro the night before this one... hell of a crowd and concert! I've had tickets to see them 3 times since, on their tours for the new album, but had to bail on every single one. It's killing me!
  • Options
    Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    I'm glad that they were trying out some Stay Positive songs on this tour before the album came out. I'm dying to hear Girls LIke Status live.
  • Options
    toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    I am getting this the day it comes out..great freaking band.
  • Options
    what do people think of this release? I love the hold steady....
  • Options
    ZosoCat wrote:
    what do people think of this release? I love the hold steady....

I love the Hold Steady, and I've had a blast every time I've seen them live, but I'm a little underwhelmed with this release. Maybe it's being overshadowed by the new Tragically Hip album (which I love), but for some reason the sound seems almost bootlegged and the songs don't sound much different from the studio for the most part. That's not a problem in concert because the energy and Craig's spastic presence are contagious, but on the album, it just doesn't leave much of an impression. It's not a BAD release, it just doesn't blow me away like some live releases do. The dvd is cool, but I don't really watch music docs over and over. I think I'd have preferred a full unedited show on dvd to the documentary with a parsed down live set.
  • Options
    PlanktonPlankton Posts: 692
    I saw them supporting Counting Crows in Liverpool last year and I really didn't rate the live performance to be honest. The sound was bad, could hardly hear the vocals, really lost.
  • Options
    Plankton wrote:
    I saw them supporting Counting Crows in Liverpool last year and I really didn't rate the live performance to be honest. The sound was bad, could hardly hear the vocals, really lost.

a weird match up is THS and Counting Crows....
  • Options
    ZosoCat wrote:
    Plankton wrote:

Very weird. I feel like those are two fanbases that rarely if ever cross paths.

The Hold Steady, imho, are something of an acquired taste. Craig's "singing" takes some getting used to, and his spastic stage presence can be a little "what the fuck" if you don't know what you're getting into. I hated the first album I heard by them at first (Boys and Girls in America). I was like "what's up with this guy's voice?" But for some reason I listened to it again. And then again. And then again. And before I knew it, I was hooked and had all the albums. The music is great classic rock and the lyrics are hilarious and fucking nail the Midwestern teenage experience.

I also think you've got to see them on their own in a small-medium size club. They've got a growingly rabid fanbase akin to PJ's. And their shows always feel like a communal celebration to me, lots of singing along and give and take between the band and the crowd. It's a lot of fun.

The live set is growing on me a bit, btw. Still not a classic, must-have live album by any stretch, but it's not half bad.
  • Options
    PlanktonPlankton Posts: 692
    It was weird. I'd say 90% of the crowd were so confused.
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    I pre ordered the DVD/CD from their website it was released yesterday, but it still has not shiped yet. Its kinda getting annoying.

Anyways, I just saw them at Valentines in Albany. It only fits 250-300 people and was sold out completely. The place was so intense at one point that the floor was shaking. That band fkn rocks!
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    Oxxys wrote:
    I pre ordered the DVD/CD from their website it was released yesterday, but it still has not shiped yet. Its kinda getting annoying.

Anyways, I just saw them at Valentines in Albany. It only fits 250-300 people and was sold out completely. The place was so intense at one point that the floor was shaking. That band fkn rocks!

Yeah, I was at the Metro the night before the show they used for the live album. The crowd was nuts! It was a great time.

I pre-ordered their last album when I bought concert tickets and it took almost a week after the actual release to arrive. I was so pissed. And then work tore me up and I couldn't make it to the show. That was a shit week. Hopefully it won't take that long to get to you!
  • Options
    Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    ZosoCat wrote:
    Plankton wrote:

If you think that's wierd, THS is opening for some Dave Matthews shows this summer. HUH????
  • Options
    Not sure if many THS fans saw this but Franz has left the group:

http://pitchfork.com/news/37645-franz-n ... ld-steady/
    :(
  • Options
    spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    saw that yesterday. disappointing and confusing. it's not like rollie fingers with an accordian is gonna find a better gig. wonder if it has anything to do with the lifter puller reissues, are they planning a reunion too?
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    I'm gonna bump this up because:

a) the hold steady are probably my favorite band and

b) a positive rage is not a bad place to start

boys and girls in america is another great place to start. I LOVE THIS BAND!!!!!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746
    Wobbie said:
    I'm gonna bump this up because:

a) the hold steady are probably my favorite band and

b) a positive rage is not a bad place to start

boys and girls in america is another great place to start. I LOVE THIS BAND!!!!!

Started listening to these guys lately....really liking them.  Boys and Girls in America is such a great album....First Night is awesome.