Redmosquito26000Redmosquito26000 Posts: 91
edited January 2008 in The Porch
The Poster thing....why the obsession?
"No need to be void,...or save up on life...You got to spend it all....."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Got me.... some of them are really cool... but i rarely buy a poster from a show i didnt attend. It has to be really bad ass for me to consider it. Hell, i cant even afford ones from shows ive been to. Dc for example. A fucking shame. All my money was tied into getting to the shows and getting home so i had no extra funds for posters :( I thought, hey its okay, ill just do a trade or something when i get back home. WRONG.

I like posters simply because they remind me of the show i went to (which is very important in my world) As for everyone else... who knows :D Its like pogs all over again....
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    It's like Beanie Babies.. only with Pearl Jam.. People like to collect and obsess.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    i can understand why people want them, but i cant justify people who spend several hundered dollars on them. just dumb if you ask me.
  • Options
    jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    I picked up ones for the first two shows I went to, before I even knew they were a big deal, and now I "have" to have one for every show I attend. I've lucked out though, and have paid face value for every one (I thought I was SOL with Philly 06 but picked one up during the Goods sale). It's not like I go to that many shows anyway (Lolla was my sixth time to see them). But yeah, paying hundreds for one from a show you weren't even at seems a bit ridiculous to me. But, hey, whatever floats your boat.
  • Options
    gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    I think most rational fans collect the shows they've been to - every tour there is one or two posters though where the art is so incredible it would be nice to have whether or not you were there. I wish i could afford to blow 500 dollars on a poster - but I can't even blow that on rent half the time!
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    It's like Beanie Babies.. only with Pearl Jam.. People like to collect and obsess.

You know what? That is a very good explanation. Never looked at it like that, but now I have an excuse. :)

That said, I have never paid too much for a poster I wanted. I have either traded or found one at cost or a little over. I also had a friend who got me hooked, then decided to get out of the poster game and either gave them too me or sold them to me for what he paid. HONESTLY dont think I have paid over $0 for a poster and I have over 100+. I may have, would be hard pressed to tell you which ones. I dont care too much about the whole s/n'd thing, and in fact have dry mounted most of mine and ruined the value anyhow. Strictly for my own enjoyment. That and the fact that I have TONS of wall space to accomodate them all.
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    sj.brodiesj.brodie Posts: 468
    The Poster thing....why the obsession?

I know! posters seem to be just as popular as the bootlegs which is astonishing, although some of them look very cool.
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    Hasn't this board been down this avenue before? I don't think there is a definitive answer... It is what it is.

I only have two posters... and I just got one of them framed... I guess if you've got the dough, the space to store or display them... well then that's that persons bag.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    Got me.... some of them are really cool... but i rarely buy a poster from a show i didnt attend. It has to be really bad ass for me to consider it. Hell, i cant even afford ones from shows ive been to. Dc for example. A fucking shame. All my money was tied into getting to the shows and getting home so i had no extra funds for posters :( I thought, hey its okay, ill just do a trade or something when i get back home. WRONG.

I like posters simply because they remind me of the show i went to (which is very important in my world) As for everyone else... who knows :D Its like pogs all over again....

^^
    What Mandi said pretty much holds true for me, too. (Mandi is super cool, btw!) I only have posters from shows I've been to.
    It's kinda like a tour shirt, but usually much cooler, and it's so cool to look at them all hanging in my living room everyday.

It's not just PJ posters for me. Any show i go to that has a poster, I want it. Even though sometimes it's just a shitty flyer, or a fan-created poster.
    My apt has framed posters of Moe, Black Crowes, Mudhoney, Modest Mouse, etc...all from shows I (or my bf) have been to.
    "Find myself singing the same songs every day....
    ones that make me feel good when things behind the smile ain't ok...." -Hoon
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    ive always been okay with collecting the shows ive been to too, but other than that, i can just admire from the internet.

i was at DC BTW, i saw the poster, could have bought it , but i didnt like it. i still dont. and im glad i didnt buy it, i would never hang it up.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    It's a more reliable source of future income than a 401(k) or an IRA any more!
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,091
    I do not understand why people keep posting asking questions that have already been asked before ;)
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    i will second your notion, i dont get it myself, the posters, the poster book, i dont see what the fuss is about. . .i guess it would be cool to frame posters for shows ive been to, but im not losing sleep over it
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    KDH12 wrote:
    I do not understand why people keep posting asking questions that have already been asked before ;)
    I agree! But, to answer the question yet again, it is art. I've been collecting rock posters since the 60's. Just happen to love them. Also collect other art as well. Either you like it or you don't. Simple as that. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    wolfbear wrote:
    I agree! But, to answer the question yet again, it is art. I've been collecting rock posters since the 60's. Just happen to love them. Also collect other art as well. Either you like it or you don't. Simple as that. :)

From a different perspective...When my friend was collecting, I was the same way. Didnt really get it and thought he was crazy. Dont think I bought my first poster until the 2002 showbox/key shows. I thought, why the hell would I want to pay for a pc of paper? What the hell would I do with them? Before that we were over at his house and he was showing me a bunch of his that he had. That is when I fell in love with them. I had only seen them online and wasnt impressed with what I saw and thought whats the point.

But they were different in person. The way the colors popped and the way you could see that they werent just like kinko copies or glossed paper like you would find at Tower records or something like that. I was just kind of taken in by the whole thing. The fact that they were different at each show for the most part. Some of the themes that were in them, the designs, the colors. They werent just concert posters anymore, they were art. Kind of the first time that I looked at something like that in that way. So I bought a few, and then it became an addiction to art. Something that I enjoy looking at everyday. Something that makes me happy when I see them. Never did it for the investment. As I have said before, I dry mounted all of mine to foamboard and pretty much ruined their value long ago. So, yea, it is just like any other hobby or collection for me. If I like it, I buy it, regardless of whether or not I was at the show or not. Hell, I still dont have my first two shows and prob wont because of their high $ pricetags. Anyhow....:)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    Poster collecting is the gayest thing about Pearl Jam. Gayer than Stone's plaid shorts.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Poster collecting is the gayest thing about Pearl Jam. Gayer than Stone's plaid shorts.

LMAO!
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    lol, i think thats about the fans more than the band themselves per se
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471

i dunno, i'd rather collect them than pj posters ;)

i'm not fussed to only have shows i attend... though Toronto 5-10-06 would be nice (hint hint :eek: )
    wah
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    I NEVER was into the whole poster thing at first, but then bought my first show from ebeans , and LOVED it. I now have 11 posters . Most of them are shows that Ive attended, but 2 arent including benaroya and an ireland print. Which im trying to sell BTW.

sbb
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    KDH12 wrote:
    My apologies...next time I will research the history and origin of my question within the Pearl Jam Message Pit.

Oh...that's sarcasm by the way...I hope no one has ever been sarcastic on the Message Pit in the past.

Lighten up...
    "No need to be void,...or save up on life...You got to spend it all....."