Options

Bud Selig is an asshole

Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,659
edited August 2007 in A Moving Train
He should be in SF right now. He's got a fucking job and he should be doing it.

I think Pete Rose would make a good commissioner as his replacement.... I mean, the guy only bet on his own team. It's not like he was throwing games or shaving points. Isn't that what everyone else is doing anyway...betting on their own team? I mean, if you don't win you get fired. At least on the managerial level. So they're all betting that they're gonna win.

Okay, Pete Rose rant aside, I still think Selig is a giant asshole (no pun intended) for not being in SF right now.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    yes, Selig IS an asshole. but in the situation you refer to, it's Bonds who is the asshole. everybody wants to say that Selig is the one who created this steroid mess, but it's not. the players' union has had pretty much total control of baseball over the last 20+ years. Selig has been pretty well powerless to do anything to stop it. plus, if you remember, Selig owns the Milwakee Brewers. and Hank Aaron played for Milwakee before the Braves moved to Atlanta. so Hank and Selig have known each other for many years and are tight friends. Selig is trying to walk a fine line. he's trying to do what all the assholes think he should do, but he's also trying to be loyal to his friend.

and if you've ever read anything outside of just being baseball players, Bonds and Aaron are at complete polar opposites. from day one, Aaron has been a 100% class act. and from day one, Bonds has been a 100% dick. Bonds has been an ass to pretty much everyone, and then he tries to make himself a victim when people turn on him. Aaron actually WAS a victim in a completely different era, and he rose above it. he never complained publicly about how he was treated, he always carried himself with dignity and treated people kind. I've met him, I know. Bonds should be ashamed to think he should even be considered anywhere close to the same level as Hank Aaron. in this case, Selig is right.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    MLC2006 wrote:
    and if you've ever read anything outside of just being baseball players, Bonds and Aaron are at complete polar opposites. from day one, Aaron has been a 100% class act. and from day one, Bonds has been a 100% dick. Bonds has been an ass to pretty much everyone, and then he tries to make himself a victim when people turn on him.
    And isn't it hilarious that someone who is sticking up for Bonds wants Pete Rose (of all people!) to be the commissioner! I've said all along that Barry's problem is he's got Pete Rose Disease. They're both lifelong assholes who like playing the victim. They think people are out to get them ... well, people ARE, because they've both been pricks for all these years. Does anyone really think that if someone really beloved in baseball, known for being a class act ... Cal Ripken maybe ... had gotten caught gambling, that it would have kept him out of the HOF? Hell no! Everybody in baseball wanted a reason to keep Rose out, and he gave them one. What goes around comes around, and it's coming around now for Barry. You can't treat people like shit for years and expect them to love you for it.

Bonds isn't half the man Aaron is, and in the minds of most fans that record is still going to belong to Aaron.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,258
    Selig sucks and Barry is a piece of shit cheater.

I don't care for either.
  • Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    I don't know enough about Bonds to form a personal opinion of him. I'm kind of sickened by the unending cult following of hatred toward him.

As far as I know, it hasn't been proven that he's broken any baseball rules or regulations. He's still playing baseball.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    hippiemom wrote:
    Bonds isn't half the man Aaron is, and in the minds of most fans that record is still going to belong to Aaron.

Excellent post. Perfectly said.

Barry who? I'd love to be in SF right now wearing an asterisk t-shirt. If Selig skipping the game diminishes Bond's acheivement, I'm glad he isn't there.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Has anyone else heard that Aaron was a speed demon? An amphetamine popper in his playing days?

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
  • Options
    RushlimboRushlimbo Posts: 832
    War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    And isn't it hilarious that someone who is sticking up for Bonds wants Pete Rose (of all people!) to be the commissioner! I've said all along that Barry's problem is he's got Pete Rose Disease. They're both lifelong assholes who like playing the victim. They think people are out to get them ... well, people ARE, because they've both been pricks for all these years. Does anyone really think that if someone really beloved in baseball, known for being a class act ... Cal Ripken maybe ... had gotten caught gambling, that it would have kept him out of the HOF? Hell no! Everybody in baseball wanted a reason to keep Rose out, and he gave them one. What goes around comes around, and it's coming around now for Barry. You can't treat people like shit for years and expect them to love you for it.

Hey, I'm not sticking up for Bonds. Not at all. Reread my post please. I'm just saying that Selig should be there. No matter who it is or what the circumstances, it's his job to be there when a record of this magnitude is going to be broken.

Pete Rose was an amazing baseball player. Asshole or not he belongs in the HOF. You said it yourself, they wanted a reason to keep him out.
  • Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    As far as I know, it hasn't been proven that he's broken any baseball rules or regulations. He's still playing baseball.
    But the witch hunt has already convicted him.....and Bush did away with habeas corpus while he was a partial owner of the Texans.
  • Options
    MLC2006 wrote:
    but he's also trying to be loyal to his friend.
    exactly. being loyal to his friend instead of doing his job. that's why i called him an asshole.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    I betcha though that Selig loved it when Bonds, Sosa and McGuire were banging homeruns, which in turn brought back many baseball fans. Now he turns his back, again they are ALL hypocrites.

Peace
    Earle
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Hey, I'm not sticking up for Bonds. Not at all. Reread my post please. I'm just saying that Selig should be there. No matter who it is or what the circumstances, it's his job to be there when a record of this magnitude is going to be broken.

Pete Rose was an amazing baseball player. Asshole or not he belongs in the HOF. You said it yourself, they wanted a reason to keep him out.
    Sorry for misinterpreting your post :o

Personally, I don't care where Selig is when Bonds breaks the record. I've gotten a little sick of the whole campaign by the MLB to whip everybody into excitement over this. "We're carrying every Bonds at-bat!" Whoop-de-doo. Very few people outside of San Francisco want to see that at-bat. Most of the country either doesn't care or thinks it will be a shame when it happens.

As for Rose ... yeah, he was a great player, but I can only care about so many things, ya know? Whether or not a not-very-nice man makes it into the HOF isn't on my list. If he'd treated people better, it wouldn't be a problem. If Bonds had treated people better, the whole country would be cheering instead of jeering. Moral of the story: no matter how good you are at what you do, it still pays to be a decent human being.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Selig an asshole..............say it ain't so, Joe. ;) I actually always thought that he was simply a big tool.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    Moral of the story: no matter how good you are at what you do, it still pays to be a decent human being.
    Can't ever argue with that. :) But it also pays to hit 756 home runs. ;)
  • Options
    robbierobbie Posts: 882
    i think bonds is a prick... he has treated everyone like shit, and for that i would love to see him tear his hammy and be done with baseball forever without breaking the record. i am in the GREAT minority of people who do not sell his record short because of steroids. i WANT baseball players to take steriods. i got ripped to shit on this board last time i made this argument, but i am sticking to it. anytime they charge 20, 20, 70 fucking dollars for a baseball ticket i want to see pitchers throw the ball in the 100's and i want to see the batter hit the ball 500 feet...OFTEN. at those prices the fans deserve to see superhumans playing ball... the best on the planet, the best they can be. if that means taking steriods...great. i dont want to think i paid that much for a ticket to think the guy could have done better but chose not to. do whatever it takes to be as good as possible. i want them to train as much as possible, lift weights as much as possible, and shoot steriods as much as possible. same goes for the tour de france. why do we pretend to want them to race SLOWER? i dont give a fuck what drugs they take, go as fast as you possibly can. period. thats why they call it a race. stop penalizing guys for racing too fast, and stop penalizing batters for hitting the ball too hard. that is what we want to see. you want warning track power and 87 mile per hour fast balls... go check out a church league game. you want the best on the planet... go see the roid freaks. they are getting paid 20 million a year. they owe it to us to perform at the TOP... not the almost as good as they could be. THE TOP. still, i hope barry gets beaned with a steroid thrown fastball in the face and never swings the bat again. i hate assholes worse than i hate underachievers. and yes, bud is an asshole for calling the all-star game at a tie a few years back. so i cant defend him either.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I agree that Selig is the worst commissioner in MLB history. But the question is; who is the bigger prick, and Bonds wins that one by a landslide. I think Selig snubbing Bonds is the best thing he's done.
  • Options
    Can't ever argue with that. :) But it also pays to hit 756 home runs. ;)
    But just think how much more fun this summer would have been if baseball fans everywhere were rooting for him, the way they were for Ripken, instead of wearing asterisk t-shirts. I'm old enough to remember Aaron breaking the record ... I was a kid, and I lived with baseball fanatics, it was a HUGE deal in our house. And it was so much fun! Just like it was fun rooting for Ripken, or rooting for Eddie Murray's 3000 hits, or all the other records that have come and gone. It just seems like such a shame that such a major record is going to be broken and hardly anyone is having any fun.

And btw, I think Selig is a jerk too, but for reasons other than this. This I really don't care about.
  • Options
    His name spelled backwards in Latin is actually Asshole I believe.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    His name spelled backwards in Latin is actually Asshole I believe.
    That's true.

I can bag on Selig for a number of reasons....this ain't one of them.

Pete Rose is an entirely different story all together, and for that I could go on for days about what an asshole Bud Selig is.
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    Bud Selig has a 50 yr friendship with Hank Aaron, but he also has an overall responsibility to all of baseball, he's been bad for baseball recently.

As for Bonds, the players union does protect the players and their illegal use of enhancement drugs, but the owners could do something if they wanted, and all the focus on Bonds benefits the owners, if that much focus was on the entire problem in baseball, then they might have to take action or lose money.

when it comes down to it, it's all about money, the purest baseball view is a farce now, nothing pure in baseball anymore.
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    robbierobbie Posts: 882
    Bud Selig has a 50 yr friendship with Hank Aaron, but he also has an overall responsibility to all of baseball, he's been bad for baseball recently.

As for Bonds, the players union does protect the players and their illegal use of enhancement drugs, but the owners could do something if they wanted, and all the focus on Bonds benefits the owners, if that much focus was on the entire problem in baseball, then they might have to take action or lose money.

when it comes down to it, it's all about money, the purest baseball view is a farce now, nothing pure in baseball anymore.

nothing is pure in baseball anymore... and it seems absurd to compare todays records to past records in baseball. how can you compare a mans batting average to the batting average of a ban who hit when the fielders did not have webbing in their gloves? or when the starting pitcher went 9 innings, when they took a bus from game to game instead of an airplane? when the training eqipment was different? baseball has juiced the balls to go furthur, so why not juice the players. it is simply not the same game. night games, artificial turf, domed stadiums, baseball in colorado, why even bother to compare todays records to records set when none of that existed? these play as much if not more of a factor in player performance than steroids do.... it is just the evolution of the game.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,258
    Fuck you Bonds! Fuck you and all of your friends who destroyed the reputation that is the greatest game in the world. Fuck you and your record, you will always be known as a worthless cheater and anyone who cheers you is either a naive asshole or someone who doesn't give two shits about the game. Enjoy your day as "the greatest home run hitter of all time" but also enjoy your testicles shriveling up and you early death you fuckin' prick.
    Going down in history in a ocean of "boos" must really feel great!
    There were greater men before you that had you position but had a greater appreciation for the game, and did just as well if not better then you in an age that required no less then showing up to the ball park and giving it your best.
    Fuck you and your body armor you wear as you hang over the plate. If anyone deserves to be hit with a 100 mph fastball it's you, you asshole.
    Fuck you as you treat those few people that support you like shit. Who the fuck do you think your are? You made it buddy! You got what you wanted...the publicity, the fame, the fortune...but you know what? You can't hack it! You will go down as the biggest disgrace to professional sports ever.
    Deny it all you want asshole, we all know you are lying and that's why people will continue to boo you. Those that are naive will learn in time. Look at Bush supporters, it only took them 7 years and 3,000 people dead...and now 25% of the country still supports him...

Shit, bad example.

Fuck you Bonds! I hope that there is some way for you to never hit a home run again. I wished that before you tied Aaron. All I know is that if I was a pitcher I would advise you to be on your toes because there is no doubt you would have one up and in.
  • Options
    robbie wrote:
    nothing is pure in baseball anymore... and it seems absurd to compare todays records to past records in baseball. how can you compare a mans batting average to the batting average of a ban who hit when the fielders did not have webbing in their gloves? or when the starting pitcher went 9 innings, when they took a bus from game to game instead of an airplane? when the training eqipment was different? baseball has juiced the balls to go furthur, so why not juice the players. it is simply not the same game. night games, artificial turf, domed stadiums, baseball in colorado, why even bother to compare todays records to records set when none of that existed? these play as much if not more of a factor in player performance than steroids do.... it is just the evolution of the game.

Two records came to mind while reading that:
    Ted Williams hittting .400
    and
    Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak.

Both those records are well over 50 years old.

• Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    hippiemom wrote:
    But just think how much more fun this summer would have been if baseball fans everywhere were rooting for him, the way they were for Ripken, instead of wearing asterisk t-shirts. I'm old enough to remember Aaron breaking the record ... I was a kid, and I lived with baseball fanatics, it was a HUGE deal in our house. And it was so much fun! Just like it was fun rooting for Ripken, or rooting for Eddie Murray's 3000 hits, or all the other records that have come and gone. It just seems like such a shame that such a major record is going to be broken and hardly anyone is having any fun.

And btw, I think Selig is a jerk too, but for reasons other than this. This I really don't care about.
    I didn't want Ripken to break Gehrig's record, but then again I am a Yankees fan.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    gue_barium wrote:
    I don't know enough about Bonds to form a personal opinion of him. I'm kind of sickened by the unending cult following of hatred toward him.

you know what guey. you are by far the most misguided fellow on this board, but I completely agree with you here.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    you know what guey. you are by far the most misguided fellow on this board, but I completely agree with you here.

I'm not guided.

• Options
    robbie wrote:

Yes, but many of those records (HR not withstanding) are still pure, because for every advance that has happened to help one side, there is usually a balance.

Sure, the gloves have improved, making hits harder, but artificial turf makes hits easier. Training equipment makes practice more effective, but guys 50-100 years ago were not hitting off 2-3 guys on every team hitting at least 95 MPH. Domed stadiums help the defense and the pitching as much as it helps the hitting. Guys may have gone 9 innings back then... which was an advantage for the hitters. Now guys are essentially hitting off fresh pitchers every at bat.

Baseball is probably the most pure of sports. Basketball adds 3 point lines, changes the way things are called, adds new circles and zones. The NFL changes what is a penalty every year, uses instant replay, and tinkers with rules. The NHL moves lines, adds penalties, changes the way its called in the playoffs, etc...

Baseball, for all its faults, is a game you could bring a guy from 1925 and he would still know most of the rules, and what was going on. None of the other sports could say that.
  • Options
    Yes, but many of those records (HR not withstanding) are still pure, because for every advance that has happened to help one side, there is usually a balance.

Sure, the gloves have improved, making hits harder, but artificial turf makes hits easier. Training equipment makes practice more effective, but guys 50-100 years ago were not hitting off 2-3 guys on every team hitting at least 95 MPH. Domed stadiums help the defense and the pitching as much as it helps the hitting. Guys may have gone 9 innings back then... which was an advantage for the hitters. Now guys are essentially hitting off fresh pitchers every at bat.

Baseball is probably the most pure of sports. Basketball adds 3 point lines, changes the way things are called, adds new circles and zones. The NFL changes what is a penalty every year, uses instant replay, and tinkers with rules. The NHL moves lines, adds penalties, changes the way its called in the playoffs, etc...

Baseball, for all its faults, is a game you could bring a guy from 1925 and he would still know most of the rules, and what was going on. None of the other sports could say that.

I disagree with the 'gloves have improved/making hits harder' part, but other than that, nicely stated sentiment.

• Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    I disagree with the 'gloves have improved/making hits harder' part, but other than that, nicely stated sentiment.

eh, i just said that to address his point. I think the gloves aspect of it plays a very very minimal role, if at all. If anything, it only helps protect the hand so it results in fewer injuries for defensive players.
  • Options
    eh, i just said that to address his point. I think the gloves aspect of it plays a very very minimal role, if at all. If anything, it only helps protect the hand so it results in fewer injuries for defensive players.
    I'm sure it still stings when you catch a screaming line drive the wrong way.