Options

Last Soldier

JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
edited October 2012 in The Porch
What the heck ever happened to this song? It is a PJ song right? It's listed as an original. I know it's a Xmas single, but I'm just a bit confused. If it is their song, then why has it only been played twice, and why wasn't it on Lost Dogs? I love the song, and it's really beautiful. If anyone has some info on it I'd appreciate it.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I dont have any answers for you man, other than it was the b-side on the last kiss single, but originally it was supposed to be the other way around. And I agree that the song is awesome
  • Options
    My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926
    edwf2000 wrote:
    I dont have any answers for you man, other than it was the b-side on the last kiss single, but originally it was supposed to be the other way around. And I agree that the song is awesome

You are thinking of Soldier of Love from the Last Kiss single.

Last Soldier, which is awesome, was played at Bridge School and released on a X-mas single the same year, 2001.

I would love to hear a studio version of this song. It's still a lost dog I guess.
  • Options
    One of the first songs written during the Riot Act sessions. Mike wrote the music. Why it never made the album is a mystery to me.
    REMEMBER KIDS....

The Bible is full of lies - Stone is the leader of us all!
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,255
    Last Soldier is a GREAT tune!!

Why it's never played is beyond me!
  • Options
    spatspat Posts: 644
    i love this song! it can easily be in my top 10 pj songs. THE WORLD NEEDS A STUDIO VERSION!
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • Options
    Sorry, I don't have much info either except that it's a great song.
    I don't have a copy of it anywhere, so if you know where I can find it on the inter-web, hook a bruvva up.
    motel money murder madness
  • Options
    Unfortunately, it's a mystery.
    I wish it gets played more often...more than those 2 times, it's an amazing song...
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    I'm listening to this song right now, from Bridge 2001-boy do I love this song! I am also wondering why it's not played more often. Does anyone know if it has been played live since this Bridge performance??
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    SO glad to see this thread. I absolutely fucking love this song.

BRING BACK "LAST SOLDIER"!!!!!!!!

Someone needs to start a petition before the next tour.
  • Options
    SO glad to see this thread. I absolutely fucking love this song.

BRING BACK "LAST SOLDIER"!!!!!!!!

Someone needs to start a petition before the next tour.

Great idea on the petition-someone please?? :)
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,435
    It's so weird to see this post. I went to the 2001 Bridge shows and pretty much forgot about this song until I watched the youtube videos of the shows that were posted last week. I remember thinking at the time it was a pretty cool song but due to the events of 9/11 just a month before it was kind of Mike's way of dealing with the tragic day. I listened to the song again and now think it works much better in the last 11 years with the wars our country has engaged in. They should play it more and have a studio version of the song. It's much better than "No More" in my mind.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    Agreed, a great song, it wouldn't have fit very well onto Riot Act but if they ever actually recorded a studio version I'd be interested to hear it. Maybe Mike was saving it for his solo release that was supposedly happening a while back but seems to have gone quiet - anyone know what the deal is with that?
    My Music, 'Crowd of Oaks' - Spotify | Bandcamp

Manchester 2000 :: Cardiff 2000 :: Prague 2006 :: London 2007 :: Manchester 2009 :: London 2009 :: Manchester I 2012 :: Manchester II 2012 :: Milton Keynes 2014 :: London I 2018 :: London II 2018

*BRAD* Birmingham 2013 :: London 2013
  • Options
    Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    According to the Music section on this website Last Soldier is a cover.
    I appreciate I'm a bit slow on this conversation but I'm listening to some Bridge School music and was wondering if there was any further information on this track.

(If not 'Hello October 2012' anyways)
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,404

According to the Music section on this website Last Soldier is a cover.
    I appreciate I'm a bit slow on this conversation but I'm listening to some Bridge School music and was wondering if there was any further information on this track.

(If not 'Hello October 2012' anyways)

I think it's listed as a cover because they probably never recorded it in the studio. Same with Falling Down. But it is a Pearl Jam song or I guess a Mike McCready song
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    fotdfotd Posts: 514
    I love that song. I got to see it played live! Wish a studio version would surface or they start to play it again.
    I’ve seen Pearl Jam 25 times, Eddie Vedder 9 times, and Brad once.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I wanna hear it!
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Thanks! First time I've heard that song, it's really nice!

It's an original not a cover?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Mike wrote it. Only two times played were at the 2001 Bridge School Concerts.
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    They played it three times actually, the last time in 2004 in a short 3 songs set
  • Options
    when in 2004?
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    fotd said:

when in 2004?

April 9th at the Westin Hotel in Seattle, they played last soldier electric version, down and 1/2 full.. there's a recording of it around, if you're interested to hear it.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    great song. i couldn't stop listening to it back in the day. don't know why it never resurfaced. bring it back. its still as relevant today as ever
  • Options
    Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    vaggar99 said:

great song. i couldn't stop listening to it back in the day. don't know why it never resurfaced. bring it back. its still as relevant today as ever

Exactly vaggar99 if I can single-handedly bring back a forum discussion after nearly 2 years why can't the band bring this awesome track back. Here's hoping.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    How is this not a staple?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    Wtf is going on?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    PJ_Soul said:

Wtf is going on?

Get to bed...
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    InsideJob2dayInsideJob2day Pittsburgh Posts: 3
    Wow...what a song!
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    Great song to listen to while commuting to work.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016