Options

Willie Nelson

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited July 2007 in Other Music
Who would've thought that my parents get things right once in a while with their music tastes. My mom's all-time favorite band is the Beatles, and one of my dad's favorites is Willie Nelson. I never really liked him that much as a little kid... his music was too slow and somber so I didn't really understand it. But for some reason lately I've been thinking about his music, and it dawned on me that I should probably give him a shot now that my musical horizons are a little broader.

Anyway I downloaded a greatest hits comp and I'm really impressed with it. His songs are so real, it's kind of hard to describe. Just one of a kind really. His voice is great obviously, but I really like his guitar work too- a lot of it is a really cool mix of country and blues, almost reminiscent of the early-1900's blues masters.

So yeah, the man is really cool. I'm going to listen to the greatest hits a little bit more, but can anyone recommend a good starting point after that?
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, my Dad is crazy for willie as well. I always liked Poncho and Lefty, that's my favorite of his. I don't know where to start, but he has like at least 10 different compilations. Including a duet one that includes poncho and lefty.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    I can't recommend individual albums because most of my knowledge of Willie comes from singles...but Whiskey River & Poncho and Lefty are classic tracks.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    tsopotelbatsopotelba Posts: 80
    Oh Willie, his voice is butter. I adore Stardust - I'm listening to it right now - and I just got Songbird, his 2006 album with Ryan Adams and the Cardinals. I also can't help but love that duet with Toby Keith.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    see him live......you'll have the best time.....i can't help ya with individual albums but pick up a good greatest hits...:)
  • Options
    Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    cutback wrote:
    see him live......you'll have the best time.....i can't help ya with individual albums but pick up a good greatest hits...:)

you've got to see him live...he really is sooo sincere and connects with his audience so well and will play a long set and take requests as long as everyone continues to give him a good vibe.

Teatro , Spirit and Countryman are all GREAT albums if you want to stray from the greatest hits a little.
    the Minions
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Not too shabby of a songwriter, either......just ask Patsy Cline. :)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    I'm really digging Blue Skies right now- such a cool relaxing song. Not so sure about Pancho and Lefty though.
  • Options
    jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    It's cool that a number of others here got turned on to Willie by their dad. I also first heard him due to my father who used to play his cassettes on our family vacations in he car, and my sister and I would moan and groan. Then about halfway through college I discovered him for myself and had to give my dad props.

As far as albums, Red Headed Stranger is I think his best. Actually it's one of the best albums ever recorded IMO. Really solid from start to finish. Great guitar playing, and each song tells a little story, and they all tie into a larger narrative. Highly recommended.
    rock chalk
  • Options
    moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 536
    i took my oldest son to see willie a couple years ago. he and moe. opened up for the dead (with.......fuck, i can't remember her name, but they had a woman guest singing). i couldn't believe how long he played for. we were able to get really close to the stage, too. i kept saying to my son "dude, it's willie nelson. remember this."
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Red Headed Stranger.

Someone once asked Lyle Lovett (another great Texas musician) if a person were to own one Lovett album, which one should they own. His answer was Red Headed Stranger by Willie Nelson, as if to say how much respect and gratitude he has for Willie's music.

Anything Willie & the Family did or from the Willie and Waylon (Outlaws) days is worth your time.

If you can get out to see him on tour, go catch one of his concerts. He ain't what he was fifteen years ago, but Willie can still put on a very entertaining show.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0922061willie1.html

I've seen Willie play live...he's a national treasure, for sure! Hereos come in all shapes and forms :)
  • Options
    Wow, with all this praise for seeing Willie Nelson live, I guess it's a good thing that my dad is seeing him in September... and has an extra ticket. :D
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    DOSW wrote:
    Wow, with all this praise for seeing Willie Nelson live, I guess it's a good thing that my dad is seeing him in September... and has an extra ticket. :D

go, you won't be disappointed.....:)
  • Options
    If you enjoy Willie Nelson, I suggest checking out the other Highwaymen. Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson, and Johnny Cash.

Also Hank Williams III is worth checking out. He plays some covers of Willie Nelson, Kristofferson, Cash, and Jennings. I would suggest the "Live At Ground Zero" bootleg, it's awesome. Really a lot of energy and a lot of profanity. :O)
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Ava17adore wrote:
    Waylon Jennings

Waylon is my favorite out of the "Outlaw Country" side of the 70's.

He has some great tracks.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    DOSW wrote:
    Who would've thought that my parents get things right once in a while with their music tastes. My mom's all-time favorite band is the Beatles, and one of my dad's favorites is Willie Nelson. I never really liked him that much as a little kid... his music was too slow and somber so I didn't really understand it. But for some reason lately I've been thinking about his music, and it dawned on me that I should probably give him a shot now that my musical horizons are a little broader.

Anyway I downloaded a greatest hits comp and I'm really impressed with it. His songs are so real, it's kind of hard to describe. Just one of a kind really. His voice is great obviously, but I really like his guitar work too- a lot of it is a really cool mix of country and blues, almost reminiscent of the early-1900's blues masters.

So yeah, the man is really cool. I'm going to listen to the greatest hits a little bit more, but can anyone recommend a good starting point after that?

Seriously, there is a CD for the VH1 Storytellers that Willie & Johnny Cash (RIP) did. Definitely get that.

I met Willie Nelson at the Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky Int'l Airport. This was before 9/11, when non-ticketholders could wait at gates. He just came off the plane, approachable as could be. I said "Hey Willie" to him as he brushed my shoulder...he just did the cowboy nod and said "Howdy."

Cool.

Willie's good stuff. My parents went and saw him in Louisville in the early 80's/late 70's. He played Freedom Hall (where UL plays basketball), and then later showed up down in the West End at some blues bar and played all night. I always thought that was cool.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    my dad loves his stuff, i should take him to a show next time he's in town. willie's awesome....and i loved seeing him at bridge with that old guitar of his too. dude is a legend
  • Options
    hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    Since a few folks mentioned Pancho and Lefty, I thought I'd suggest everyone to check out the author of that song: the late, great
    Townes Van Zandt.

One of the most brilliant songwriters ever. Great voice as well. Most of his original albums are hard to find nowadays but most record stores will have a few comps of his.

Seriously, if you're a fan of country or folk, he's essential.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Seen Willie for the first time a this past Saturday and boy oh boy what a delicious summer treat ye was! :lol: He is adorable! And kind. And he played Always On My Mind!!!! Score!!

I'm thankful my mom wanted to see him. He's an amazing guitarist and his family is so talented. 

Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.