Options

Townes Van Zandt

soclosesoclose Posts: 628
edited November 2007 in Other Music
Anyone have suggestions for a good starter Townes Van Zandt album?

I've heard a number of his songs, and I'm familiar with a couple different covers of "White Freightliner Blues." Unfortunately I have no idea where I should start for my first purchase.

If possible I'd like to get something from e-music:

http://www.emusic.com/artist/Townes-Van-Zandt-MP3-Download/11561753.html

I'm sure the selection is limited, but there look to be a few good options available. I have no problem with live collections, but I like to start with original albums when possible.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    My favorite studio albums are Our Mother The Mountain and The Late Great Townes Van Zandt. They're a great start, both early and mid-'70s periods. Also, Live at the Old Quarter is essential. All of these have been recently re-released.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Options
    soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Thanks! I'll keep those in mind.
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    thanks to paul kelly's new cd i got turned onto this old nugget. what an incredible song. WOW
    Townes Van Zandt - To Live Is To Fly
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eSggloAtBo
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    I always loved For The Sake Of The Song, if only for the Title Track, Tecumseh Valley (sad and beautiful), and one of my favourite songs ever - Waitin' Around to Die - which is as tragic as it sounds.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600
    Live at the old quarter
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.