Options

the difference between credit and debit cards...

mensanemensane Posts: 912
edited February 2008 in The Porch
hopefully, everyone knows about the main difference-
credit cards are charges against your credit line, and debit cards are held agains the actual funds in your checking account.

BUT.....everyone keeps talking about this 3-5 days it will take for all the multiple mistaken authorizations to come off. THAT IS ONLY IF YOU USED A CREDIT CARD. Debit cards usually take much longer. Each bank is different, but it is usually 7-10 BUSINESS DAYS.

I work in an accounting office at a hotel and you would be surprised how many people don't know this and present their debit cards at check in knowing that all hotel authorize more than just the amount for room and tax (in case of incidentals).

If you are counting on these holds to just fall off on their own before friday's ticketmaster sale, you need to call your bank NOW and expedite this process!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Yep yep. I use my Debit card for EVERYTHING. Once that money is held up, good luck. And it's REAL MONEY, not CREDIT!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,775
    what a disaster. Boy am I glad I didn't try for tickets this time around.

Obviously, this is not the first issue ever encountered trying to purchase tickets on this site. They really need to acknowledge the problem and fix it before the next pre-sale offering.
  • Options
    robbierobbie Posts: 882
    I used a debt card... and i dont have 295 dollars to just be in limbo for 10 business days......this would be day one because yesterday was a holliday.... that means those funds may no be back in my account until..... MONDAY MARCH 3RD!!!!!!!!!! that means I cannot get tix through ticketmaster.. it also means that if they add shows on friday (seattle) (second san diego) I will not have the money to buy those either! All because I bought tix at 10:04 am yesterday only to have the srever boot me. IF they ad more shows, THEY REALLY NEED TO GIVE THOSE OF US WITH PENDING CHARGES AN OPTION TO PUT THOSE CHARGES TOWARD TIX if not, the same people that gotr screwed yesterday will get screwed again in the next ticket disaster. either way..... something should be don to accoidate all the people out hundreds of dollars with nothing to show for it.
  • Options
    I used my debit card to renew my membership just fine. When the tickets were in my cart and I used the same card - I got royally fucked over and my tickets ended up being lost in the server-crash mess. I've got the money...but we all know what happened after that.
    Everyone is born, but not everyone is born the same. Some will grow to be butchers, or bakers, or candlestick makers. Some will only be really good at making Jell-O salad. One way or another, though, every human being is unique, for better or for worse.
  • Options
    contact your bank. they have the power to expedite the release of funds. and i hate to say this, but sometimes they will only do that if the company contacts them and authorizes them to do that.

company=10club.

at our hotel, we are often required to fax a letter to the bank requesting that the hold be released on the guest's behalf.

so...yeah...there IS something 10club can do in this situation. whether or not they do it remains to be seen.

that is why i decided to post this, so people would have time to go through this process BEFORE friday.

good luck.
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    mensane
    I also posted some consumer info re:debit cards on the Ten Club mess thread.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world
    -Gandhi