Options

Smashing Pumpkins reuniting/new album in the works

bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
edited August 2006 in Other Music
Pumpkins Reunite in Studio

08/18/2006 1:25 PM, E! Online
Josh Grossberg

Smashing Pumpkins fans, get ready to be infinitely happy.

Fourteen long months after founder and frontman Billy Corgan announced, in a full-page Chicago newspaper ad, that he was planning to reform the band he loved so dearly, the Pumpkins are back in the studio, recording their first album since calling it quits with their swan song, 2000's hard-charging Machina: The Machines of God.

The Grammy-winning alt-rockers confirmed the news in a brief message posted on their official Website. Slated to join them for the recording sessions is Roy Thomas Baker, the famed English producer who oversaw such classic records as Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody," The Cars' s Shake It Up and, most recently, The Darkness' One Way Ticket to Hell and Back.

There's still no word, however, as to whether all four original Pumpkins are taking part in the reunion.

So far, the lineup consists of Corgan, the Windy City quartet's whiny-voiced singer, guitarist and principal songwriter, and drummer Jimmy Charmberlain. Still MIA are lead guitarist James Iha and bassist D'arcy Wretzky, who left the band after recording Machina, and was replaced by former Hole bassist Melissa Auf der Maur.

However, in a statement posted in May, on the Website for his currently defunct rock outfit, Polar Bears, former Jane's Addiction bassist Eric Avery revealed that he's been collaborating with Corgan and company.

"It looks like I will be working with the Smashing Pumpkins," Avery said.

Responding to speculation about him joining the group full-time, a rep for the Pumpkins recently told MTV News that Avery "has been rehearsing with [the band] in their pre-production of the new record, but nothing has been confirmed in regards to [him becoming a full-fledged member]."

Avery's participation would be a natural fit, given Corgan's admiration for Jane's Addiction, which he's acknowledged as an influence on the Pumpkins' sound. He's also good pals with its members. (The Pumpkins pleased hometown fans, when they served as the surprise opening act for the Chicago stop of Jane's Addiction's 1997 Relapse tour.)

Formed in 1988, the Smashing Pumpkins first made noise with the 1991 college-rock fave, Gish. But it was their breakout major-label debut, 1993's Siamese Dream (which arrived at the peak of Seattle's grunge wave) that made them alt-rock superstars--thanks to such hits as "Today" and "Disarm."

The band followed up with 1994's Pisces Iscariot, before reaching their peak with 1996's double album, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, which spawned the hits "Bullet With Butterfly Wings," "Tonight, Tonight" and "1979."

At the height of their success, however, the Pumpkins were hit with the drug-overdose death of touring keyboardist Jonathan Melvoin, which led Corgan to fire Chambelain, who battled his own drug problems.

Corgan opted for a drum machine for the group's next release, 1998's Adore, which was adored by critics, but failed to match the sales of previous releases.

Chamberlain later returned to the fold, but Wretzky's desire to try her hand at an acting career led to her departure, as well as more discord within the group. The band played its final show at the legendary Chicago Northside nightclub, Metro, in 2000.

After the demise of the Pumpkins, Corgan went on to form Zwan, which issued one album before calling it quits. He then took to writing his own music, putting out his first solo effort, The Future Embrace, last year.
11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 698
    yawn
    so much for Billy's spoken word garbage
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I think the Pumpkins are a descent studio band, but I have heard several live recordings of their shows: (a hometown Houston show from 98 that they played for us in 98. There were only 3000 tix sold for this all proceeds go to charity Tour. I'm sorry, I know I'm gonna get reemed, but that pumpkin show was not good. I turned it off halfway through after the whole drum solo with Billy screaming the lyrics to Zero. (Play the songs like you recorded them, it was awful). Sometimes I couldn't even tell what song they were playing until Billy started yelling the lyrics in the mic. The piano or keyboard was out of tune as well. I bought their earphoria disc and disarm sounds terrible, nothing like it does on siamese dream. Their 2nd to last Chicago show was ok, but the music still sounded unbalanced and Again I couldn't tell what they were playing until he started singing. Sorry,I think they were soley a studio band. My friend saw the Pumpkins at a secret gig in 99 and said they were spectacular. I hope I'm not alone on their live shows. I just don't think the unique studio effects they can do come off very well on the stage.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    Personally, I love every single thing the Pumpkins have ever done.. I think they're incredible live, but I can see how a lot of people could hate it. It's a lot heavier and a little sloppy. Generally they're either on par or better than Pearl Jam or just okay, depending on a lot of things.

azwyldcats wrote:
    yawn
    so much for Billy's spoken word garbage

Do you know who Billy Corgan even is? Spoken word...?...

That's like saying the same thing about Ed for those 2 songs he's done like that...
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    I've listened to some live recordings from the Pumpkins. It seemed like they had their nights where things got sloppy, but I thought overall they were good performers, especially during the Siamese Dream era.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    I've listened to some live recordings from the Pumpkins. It seemed like they had their nights where things got sloppy, but I thought overall they were good performers, especially during the Siamese Dream era.
    oh man, the Machina tour was the best!

I do long for the days when it was just a quartet live.. no added stage musicians.. but i suppose things flow better like that.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    sigh eternallysigh eternally Chicago Posts: 421
    lol.
  • Options
    edigerediger Posts: 308
    I love the Pumpkins pre-Adore. I saw them in 2000 and it was easily the worst show I've seen from a band of that size. They played Fuck You, Zero and Bullet With Butterfly Wings. EVERYTHING ELSE WAS FROM MACHINA AND ADORE!!!! AHHHH!!!!
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • Options
    edigerediger Posts: 308
    Personally, I love every single thing the Pumpkins have ever done.. I think they're incredible live, but I can see how a lot of people could hate it. It's a lot heavier and a little sloppy. Generally they're either on par or better than Pearl Jam or just okay, depending on a lot of things.

Do you know who Billy Corgan even is? Spoken word...?...

That's like saying the same thing about Ed for those 2 songs he's done like that...

you know, he just might be refering to the shitty spoken word stuff that Corgan has been doing for the last few years
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • Options
    ediger wrote:
    you know, he just might be refering to the shitty spoken word stuff that Corgan has been doing for the last few years
    The future embrace wasn't spoken word.... :confused:

"Make our day"
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    ediger wrote:
    I love the Pumpkins pre-Adore. I saw them in 2000 and it was easily the worst show I've seen from a band of that size. They played Fuck You, Zero and Bullet With Butterfly Wings. EVERYTHING ELSE WAS FROM MACHINA AND ADORE!!!! AHHHH!!!!

Why did you see them when they were touring for MACHINA if you hated that album?

I consider the Pumpkins like Pearl Jam. They experiment with music and don't make the same album 5 times.
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    Why did you see them when they were touring for MACHINA if you hated that album?

I consider the Pumpkins like Pearl Jam. They experiment with music and don't make the same album 5 times.
    they haven't made the same album once, like pearl jam :)

And also there's a brand of people who want them to sound exactly like their old radio-friendlier selves and never do anything new... just like pearl jam :rolleyes:

"Make our day"
  • Options

And also there's a brand of people who want them to sound exactly like their old radio-friendlier selves and never do anything new... just like pearl jam :rolleyes:

I know that ;) I wasn't suggesting the PJ or the Pumpkins did remake an album. But there are some bands where it sounds like they just made their last album over.
  • Options
    vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,079
    I'm extremely excited to see what they come up with. I think SP is one of those bands you either love or hate. Billy Corgan has a unique voice and a brilliant writing style. I, for one, have always loved this band. I was lucky enough to see them live just before they broke up, so I hope to be able to see them again. Something SP fans have been praying for since their demise. GRRREAT performers.
    Shut the fuck up, stupid.
    ~ Ice Queen
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    I know that ;) I wasn't suggesting the PJ or the Pumpkins did remake an album. But there are some bands where it sounds like they just made their last album over.
    i know, i was agreeing with you :p

"Make our day"
  • Options
    i know, i was agreeing with you :p

Oh yeah! ;)
    I was agreeing with you agreeing with me!

:o Oops :p

I need to go listen to Slunk now as punishment ;):)
  • Options
    JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222

i agree...i hate it when fans just want a band to remake the same album over and over again...bands have to grow musically...or then they just become nickelback....ok so no other band can actually suck as bad as nickelback but that's a totally different story....but back on topic...billy corgan is my fav songwriter of all time...i just love his style and aside from a few songs on his solo album, i've liked everything he's ever released....i can't wait for the new album and to see what direction he's going in this time around...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited November 2018
    I just heard the new SP single, and I actually like it. Suddenly I'm quite looking forward to this album. I'm not sure if this song will be up everyone's alley - I think some might really hate it - but it's something that works for me.

I very much enjoy Corgan's recent solo album too. However much of an asshole he is, I think he's still got it musically. So good for him.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,942
    I didn't really enjoy this album. I'm just not down with how he writes songs and especially with how he produces them.

• Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604
    I didn't really enjoy this album. I'm just not down with how he writes songs and especially with how he produces them.

I actually liked it.  The last SP album I enjoyed was Zeitgiest.  I do agree with the production though.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,942
    I also understand Billy didn't produce this one, but lets get real here.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited November 2018
    kramer73 said:

I actually liked it.  The last SP album I enjoyed was Zeitgiest.  I do agree with the production though.
    I just read that they have pulled Zeitgiest from all streaming platforms because some people told Corgan that it sucks... But I read it on alternative nation, so I have no idea if that's bullshit or what, lol. I can, however, confirm that it's not on Spotify anymore, so I guess it is? How stupid. Corgan back to his old tricks, haha.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    PJ_Soul said:
    kramer73 said:

I just read that they have pulled Zeitgiest from all streaming platforms because some people told Corgan that it sucks... But I read it on alternative nation, so I have no idea if that's bullshit or what, lol. I can, however, confirm that it's not on Spotify anymore, so I guess it is? How stupid. Corgan back to his old tricks, haha.
    He’s on Instagram near daily. It’s been asked and he’s mentioned why, just can’t remember. His Q&A stories move quickly. His direct interactions with fans lately have been awesome. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    redrawredraw Posts: 1,275
    I'm really enjoying the new album!!!
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,165
    I also liked Zeitgeist.  I thought Tarantula was the most pumpkins song I'd heard in a while.... Haven't had a chance to listen to the new album yet.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    I like the songs I've heard thus far..especially knights of malta and also liked zeitgeist..looking forward to seeing them in chitown in a few weeks..
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    "Travels" is my favorite so far. Awesome record - so glad James came back!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    BebopRockSteadyBebopRockSteady Chicago Posts: 11
    My disappointment in the new album is immeasurable, and my day is ruined.
  • Options
    Bummer.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Your go to Creed album should brighten things up..
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    "With Sympathy" is my favorite off the bat. A solid effort all around here. Pleasantly surprised.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.