Options

Husker Du - any thoughts?

transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
edited February 2006 in Other Music
Arguably one of my favorite bands is Husker Du. Though I think they are well appreciated in some circles, I don't read much about them here.

With the number of rabid Pixies fans here (for good reason) I figured I'd ask what peoples thoughts are of this band....good or bad. I think if people listened to tunes like Divide and Conquer, Celebrated Summer they could see why I am curious. Are there Pixies fans who have never listened?

I can't help when I listen to Flip Your Wig, New Day Rising, Zen Arcade that I feel they are as equally responsible as anyone for the alternative movement that took off after they disbanded....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I only know one song which i have on my iPod "Never talking to you again" but it intrigued me as it as pretty damn cool.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    i bought zen arcade and thought it was alright. i did like it i just didnt think it was one of those albums where if it didnt exist all rock music after would be any different. very good album dont get me wrong. i think it doesnt come close to being as influential as anything by the pixies or velvet underground or anythose bands thrown into that category.
  • Options
    transplant wrote:
    Arguably one of my favorite bands is Husker Du.

Who's going to argue with you on that issue? Demons in the head egh?

Candy Apple Grey and Warehouse: Songs and Stories are fantastic albums.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    could anyone tell me where could i download some Husker Du pls?
    "It was a kind of a sick, disturbed rock opera - if Nietzsche were to write a rock opera,"-Jeff Ament about Eddie's first three songs

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough, I'm fine now.
    Push me pull me. See ya later

<present tense inhabiter #0003 & Even Flow psycho #0036>
  • Options
    moemoe6434 wrote:
    Who's going to argue with you on that issue? Demons in the head egh?
    lol, nice catch. One of my concert highlights is when Bob Mould played Too Far Down during one of his acoustic performances. 2 incredible CD's for sure. The Living End disc hits off Warehouse heavily and is pretty much a whirlwind of a live disc.

Pearljamaholic - that is cool, I think I put Husker Du at times in a Velvet Underground category ONLY in that they are bands that are widely appreciated however the music population purchases more from the bands they helped create. I hope that came out right, I am no way trying to say the Pixies aren't as deserving or in fact any less influential.

anarchist_grunger - I don't know where you can however if you can't find any, I'd be happy to send a few selections (via yousendit) your way (or anyone who is interested).
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    Hey, transplant, I'm one of those rabid Pixies fans and admit I haven't listened much from Husker Du beyond a couple of tracks.
    I'm more familiar with Sugar, really like their album File Under Easy Listening. Someday I must pay my debt to Husker Du.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Cobain said that Nirvana was just a rehash of Husker Du. I do not agree with him, but if you're gonna cop someone's sound, you could do a lot worse than Husker Du.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I only know one song which i have on my iPod "Never talking to you again" but it intrigued me as it as pretty damn cool.
    thought i'd start my day off with Zen Arcade. thought to be their masterpiece, I don't know, there is a ton of music on there to digest. Sugar fans were all up in arms about Pearl Jam 'blantantly' ripping off the Spin the Black Circle riff from Beyond the Threshold. Snobby fucking fans they are. Anyway, Zen Arcade is rewarding but a difficult place to start I think.

I think there are some striking similarites to Nirvana, mainly the less accessible numbers, both being extremely loud 3 piece units, sloppy dynamic, lyrical content etc...Mould is a much much much more accomplished guitarist however.

barcoach, oh man I think you will be in for a treat when that day comes. I started with Sugar as well and worked my way back. I find it amazing between Sugar, Husker Du, and his solo work how much he has accomplished.
  • Options
    i dig that you made the comparison between the pixies and the ole' h-du ... i don't think it's a 100% apples to apples, but when i listen to husker i definately get that same indie-kind've-pretty-kind've-raw-kind've-agressive-kind've-sugar-coated-sound-that-the-pixies-had vibe ...

and while Husker Du obviously isn't as "catchy" as most anything the pixies wrote, it is certainly listenable in it's own right ...

i have to agree that i'd pick the pixies over husker du, though.
    besides my assertion that black and deal have mould & hart easily beat in the vocals department,

i also find that husker du is, for the most part, still a 'simple' blues-rock band at the core ... many of their songs have standard zeppelin-esque early-rock type solos at the end, and while i like all the droning fuzz that goes throughout many of their tracks, Husker Du songs just never seem to explode and eat themselves like Pixies songs did ...

but they are still worth a listen, i'll agree on that.

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    danedane Posts: 1,062
    I have never heard about them before. Is Husker Du american slang for something or are some of the bandmembers danish? The reason I'm asking is that Husker Du means "Do you remeber" in danish....
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • Options
    dane wrote:
    I have never heard about them before. Is Husker Du american slang for something or are some of the bandmembers danish? The reason I'm asking is that Husker Du means "Do you remeber" in danish....

They are from Minneapolis, MN. They arose from a great punk or garage roack period there: Replacements, Husker Du, and Soul Assylum.... Yes, Soul Assylum were very a very cool hard edge band before they got candy-assed later.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    i dig that you made the comparison between the pixies and the ole' h-du ... i don't think it's a 100% apples to apples, but when i listen to husker i definately get that same indie-kind've-pretty-kind've-raw-kind've-agressive-kind've-sugar-coated-sound-that-the-pixies-had vibe ...

and while Husker Du obviously isn't as "catchy" as most anything the pixies wrote, it is certainly listenable in it's own right ...

i have to agree that i'd pick the pixies over husker du, though.
    besides my assertion that black and deal have mould & hart easily beat in the vocals department,

i also find that husker du is, for the most part, still a 'simple' blues-rock band at the core ... many of their songs have standard zeppelin-esque early-rock type solos at the end, and while i like all the droning fuzz that goes throughout many of their tracks, Husker Du songs just never seem to explode and eat themselves like Pixies songs did ...

but they are still worth a listen, i'll agree on that.

:D
    well hell yes. nice post. though obviously I take Husker Du over the Pixies by no small margin, you clearly have a solid grasp on both.

and nope, no American slang, name came right from the Card game translated Do You Remember.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,524
    alright!! let's revive a seven year old thread. I heard from the OP today. He's long gone from the forum but he and I still think Husker Du kick some major ass....bob mould, too :D
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    husker du & pixies - why even try to draw a comparison? love this clip - esp. the second song that grant sings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vefkvjcjNj8

drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,524
    WHOAAAAAA? what about this savage young du thing?????

https://youtu.be/NeqyCwAeT3I

transplant is/was a cool dude.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Yes I like them. Just wish that New Day Rising was better produced. Vocals are too buried. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014