Options

Song you are most tired of hearing

1235»

Comments

• Options
    RhinoJamRhinoJam Raleighwood Posts: 593
    Sirens
    Charlotte 10/4/96 Raleigh 8/31/98 Charlotte 8/4/00 Raleigh 4/15/03 Asheville 10/6/04
    Bonnaroo 6/14/08 Spectrum 10/30/09 Spectrum 10/31/09 Atlanta 9/22/12 Wrigley 7/19/13
    Baltimore 10/27/13 Charlottesville 10/29/13 Charlotte 10/30/13 OKC 11/16/13
    St. Louis 10/03/14 Greenville 4/16/16 Hampton 4/18/16
    Columbia 4/21/16 Wrigley 8/18/18
  • Options
    I’ve had EVENFLOW 30/34 shows and I love them more and more. 

Mike solo is always different, what is there not to love? 

I could swap Why Go for Dissident @ either Wrigley and sleep okay.
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    JimmyV said:
    How many bands play 30+ songs a night without repeating any? Not Phish, not DMB, not U2, certainly not Foo Fighters.

Having to hear Alive and Evenflow every night is a high class problem to have.
    the average live pj song is 3-4 minutes. the average live phish song these days is 6-8 minutes. not really a valid comparison. phish also did 13 shows at msg last summer and didn’t repeat a single song! they usually don’t do any repeats at multi-night runs, regardless, but even their fans were surprised they made 13 in a row.

anyway, point is phish and pj are very different bands with very different shows that can’t really be compared on an even level.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    How many bands play 30+ songs a night without repeating any? Not Phish, not DMB, not U2, certainly not Foo Fighters.

Exactly
    imagine living in asia where you have no chance of seeing pj live
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    10 Most Popular Songs on Spotify
    1. Alive
    2. Black
    3. Even Flow
    4. Jeremy
    5. Last Kiss
    6. Yellow Ledbetter
    7. Daughter
    8. Just Breathe
    9. Better Man
    10. Small Town

These will be staples in the sets for as long as they keep playing live shows.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    jordan kjordan k Posts: 196
    edited August 2018
    See for me its weird, because I will go through certain periods of being like "ugh I don't want to hear do the evolution ever again" then I will hear it a show or two later and something about how they play it that show, will make me super dig hearing it live again. 
    It seems to happen a lot with me and this bands music.
    Key Arena - Nov 05 2000, General Motors Place - May 30 2003, General Motors Place - Sep 02 2005, Canada Olympic Park - Aug 08 2009,Key Arena - Sep 22 2009, GM Place - Sep 25 2009, The O2 - Jun 22 2010, Odyssey Arena - Jun 23 2010, Hyde Park - Jun 25 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Scotiabank Saddledome - Sep 21, 2011, Rexall Place - Sep 23, 2011, Pacific Coliseum - Sep 25, 2011, Portland OR 11-29-2013, Spokane WA 11-30-2013, Vancouver BC 12-04-2013, Seattle WA 12-06-2013, Toronto ON 05-10-2016, Toronto ON 05-12-2016, Seattle WA 08-08-2018, Seattle 08-10-2018

EV Arlene Schnitzer Hall - July 14 2011, EV Benaroya Hall - July 16 2011

• Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Can't Deny Me
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I could go without hearing Ledbetter or Sirens.  But if they play them, so be it.  There are 30+ other songs to get riled up about in the duration.  And even though I don't like Sirens, it kinda bugs me to see the mass exodus for the bathrooms/concessions/merch tables/whatever during the song.  I stay put because I know the band seems to love the song and I want them to have an audience when they play it.

I do kinda wish they'd mix up some of the heavily predictable placements like Porch & RVM and the slow songs to start the first encore, just to mix it up and be unpredictable once in a while.  Play them, just play them somewhere else in the set every now & then.  Conversely, I LOVE  hearing Alive in the 2nd encore.  I feel like there's a buildup to it and it IS the definitive Pearl Jam tune that practically everyone comes to hear - hardcore fans, casuals, & newbies alike.  I think it'd make a hell of a show closer and maybe should replace YL every once in a while.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    Use to be my favorite song...but I think it kills the energy live.... Black. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    AndySlash said:
    JimmyV said:

the average live pj song is 3-4 minutes. the average live phish song these days is 6-8 minutes. not really a valid comparison. phish also did 13 shows at msg last summer and didn’t repeat a single song! they usually don’t do any repeats at multi-night runs, regardless, but even their fans were surprised they made 13 in a row.

anyway, point is phish and pj are very different bands with very different shows that can’t really be compared on an even level.
    If the complaint is that PJ repeats songs then it is a very valid comparison. Doesn't matter how long the songs are. If you are playing 15-20 songs a night then it's much easier to not repeat anything. I give Phish all the credit in the world for what they did at MSG. But, if their song counts looked anything like Pearl Jam's then it wouldn't have happened. Different bands, different setlist structures.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,178
    Lightning Bolt
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    edited August 2018
    Lightning Bolt
    Funny you mention that... they scratched Green Disease from last night’s set & replaced it with Lightning Bolt. 
    https://twitter.com/pearljam/status/1029238040986890240?s=21
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    JimmyV said:
    AndySlash said:
    JimmyV said:

If the complaint is that PJ repeats songs then it is a very valid comparison. Doesn't matter how long the songs are. If you are playing 15-20 songs a night then it's much easier to not repeat anything. I give Phish all the credit in the world for what they did at MSG. But, if their song counts looked anything like Pearl Jam's then it wouldn't have happened. Different bands, different setlist structures.
    Not to butt in but sorry I don’t think the comparison is valid either.  Having been to close to a hundred phish shows, they definitely don’t repeat songs like Pj does. Their fans have been with them a long time, just like PJ, but you don’t get repeats or guaranteed sections of shows like you do with Pj- the only exclusion would be their encores- they are somewhat predictable, just not as much as PJ.  The thought that they repeat songs like PJ does and therefore are as guilty of doing it isn’t correct because they don’t even play the song the same way twice.  It’s often not the same key, there’s different tempo, the bridge is in a different place, etc- Phish doesn’t play like Pearl Jam does where the song is played the exact same way every time except for a different solo by Mike.  You’ll have a keyboard solo, different drum fills, a different into or outro, different speed altogether, teases in and out, they play eachother’s instruments, one time is 8 minutes and another it’s 24, etc. Phish also does 2-3 day festivals at least once a year and there’s virtually no repeats in that whole weekend with some exceptions of course- they’ll tease other songs of theirs or go in and out of the key of them, but they definitely are not predictable like PJ is.  You can look at their setlists and in a given tour they may just like PJ hit certain songs more often than others (especially if like PJ they’re touring a new album) but as far as how they vary their sets compared to PJ, they are way way harder to predict. The fact that in 13 shows at MSG they never played a single repeat should tell you that they don’t treat writing their setlists the same as PJ.  They’re like the dead were in that they have a huge following and aren’t worried about losing anyone or playing hits so they keep growing. PJ plays the hits and has for their entire career- nothing wrong with it but the way they write their setlists isn’t close to phish. I don’t think PJ will ever play 13 shows without playing yellow led, even flow, alive, corduroy, ritfw dte , Black at least half of those shows each.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,937
    on2legs said:
    I will never get tired of hearing Even Flow. 
    Amen to that! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    AndySlash said:
    JimmyV said:

Not to butt in but sorry I don’t think the comparison is valid either.  Having been to close to a hundred phish shows, they definitely don’t repeat songs like Pj does. Their fans have been with them a long time, just like PJ, but you don’t get repeats or guaranteed sections of shows like you do with Pj- the only exclusion would be their encores- they are somewhat predictable, just not as much as PJ.  The thought that they repeat songs like PJ does and therefore are as guilty of doing it isn’t correct because they don’t even play the song the same way twice.  It’s often not the same key, there’s different tempo, the bridge is in a different place, etc- Phish doesn’t play like Pearl Jam does where the song is played the exact same way every time except for a different solo by Mike.  You’ll have a keyboard solo, different drum fills, a different into or outro, different speed altogether, teases in and out, they play eachother’s instruments, one time is 8 minutes and another it’s 24, etc. Phish also does 2-3 day festivals at least once a year and there’s virtually no repeats in that whole weekend with some exceptions of course- they’ll tease other songs of theirs or go in and out of the key of them, but they definitely are not predictable like PJ is.  You can look at their setlists and in a given tour they may just like PJ hit certain songs more often than others (especially if like PJ they’re touring a new album) but as far as how they vary their sets compared to PJ, they are way way harder to predict. The fact that in 13 shows at MSG they never played a single repeat should tell you that they don’t treat writing their setlists the same as PJ.  They’re like the dead were in that they have a huge following and aren’t worried about losing anyone or playing hits so they keep growing. PJ plays the hits and has for their entire career- nothing wrong with it but the way they write their setlists isn’t close to phish. I don’t think PJ will ever play 13 shows without playing yellow led, even flow, alive, corduroy, ritfw dte , Black at least half of those shows each.
    The comparison wasn't that Phish duplicates songs like PJ does. Early on it was pointed out that Phish didn't repeat any songs at msg, and the question was basically "Why can't PJ do that?" My point is that Phish doesn't play nearly as many songs each night. The comparison that isn't valid is the one comparing a band that plays half as many songs or less each night than Pearl Jam does. If we're gonna ask why Pearl Jam duplicates songs and Phish doesn't, let's at least acknowledge the math.

Again...I give Phish all the credit in the world for what they did at MSG.

• Options
    on2legs said:
    Amen to that! 
    I agree with both of you!  :)  Even Flow will always be cool with me
  • Options
    Show me another band that regularly plays 30+ songs a night without any repeats.

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    AndySlash said:
    JimmyV said:

The comparison wasn't that Phish duplicates songs like PJ does. Early on it was pointed out that Phish didn't repeat any songs at msg, and the question was basically "Why can't PJ do that?" My point is that Phish doesn't play nearly as many songs each night. The comparison that isn't valid is the one comparing a band that plays half as many songs or less each night than Pearl Jam does. If we're gonna ask why Pearl Jam duplicates songs and Phish doesn't, let's at least acknowledge the math.

I hear what you’re saying and agree with your thought process but don’t agree that if phish played 30 songs a night they would duplicate songs like Pj does.  They just don’t write their setlists the same way.  That’s all I was saying- I understand your statement of the 30 songs per night vs. 15, but even if phish played 30 they wouldn’t do what PJ does, Nowhere n their longer than PJ history have they played the same songs every night like Pj does.  It’s a completely different way of writing a setlist, phish doesn’t play sample or rift or down with disease or bouncing around the room or any of their more popular hits more than once every 6 or 7 shows.  I understood what you were saying though and the thought process makes sense, but not for a band like phish to be included in that list you made because they’re so extremely different than PJ or dmb in that they don’t even play the same song the same way twice
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    AndySlash said:
    JimmyV said:

I hear what you’re saying and agree with your thought process but don’t agree that if phish played 30 songs a night they would duplicate songs like Pj does.  They just don’t write their setlists the same way.  That’s all I was saying- I understand your statement of the 30 songs per night vs. 15, but even if phish played 30 they wouldn’t do what PJ does, Nowhere n their longer than PJ history have they played the same songs every night like Pj does.  It’s a completely different way of writing a setlist, phish doesn’t play sample or rift or down with disease or bouncing around the room or any of their more popular hits more than once every 6 or 7 shows.  I understood what you were saying though and the thought process makes sense, but not for a band like phish to be included in that list you made because they’re so extremely different than PJ or dmb in that they don’t even play the same song the same way twice
    Cool, I hear what you are saying too. I love the way Phish plays shows.

• Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    on2legs said:
    Amen to that! 
    I agree with both of you!  :)  Even Flow will always be cool with me

I predict that this is exactly what it will look like at Wrigley Field waiting to use the trough urinals halfway through Even Flow when the play it both both nights, when I have trouble taking a piss I just put on Even Flow, appropriate title for a piss break song

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    AndySlash said:
    JimmyV said:

Cool, I hear what you are saying too. I love the way Phish plays shows.
    For thread integrity:

Pearl Jam