Options

Melania

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    my2hands said:
    I'm so tired of the "poor little Melania" bullshit... she married this loser and was a full on birther, she isnt some innocent little girl 
    She isn't an elected official.  She isn't in the government at all except by marriage.  I mean you can not like her for marrying the guy I guess, but it seems pretty petty.
    What about the birther part? Does she get a pass on that too?
    Maybe she is a nutter but there are plenty of people who believe that silliness.  No reason to see people bagging on what the woman wears. 
    In this modern age everyone seems to be a target.  Pretty sad.
    I'm not saying that I am a fan of hers (I would be hard pressed to care any less about a person, in general, than I do about a former model married to a dope) but it just bugs me that everyone piles on.  I normally feel badly for anyone who marries someone who is in politics or other public light.  The sharks are out there, just waiting to be critical.
    Wearing that jacket is completely above board to criticize, I don't think it is piling on at all. It was stupid.

If she doesn't want to be a target of criticism for doing stupid things she should get a divorce so she is no longer the first lady.
    I respectfully disagree re:being critical, but I get you & agree it is a silly thing to wear knowing the reality of her situation.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I like Tom Brady’s red hat better. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    I have a hard time with this jacket thing.  I've always liked her in the sense that she seems to dislike tRump about as much as I do.  She was a birther, which was a big mark against her.

She is definitely intelligent.  I'm not sure how fluent she is in other languages but she supposedly speaks at least 3-4 languages.  

I can't imagine the reaction that the right would give her if she were married to a Dem.  There was supposed to be some explanation for her immigration status but that explanation never evolved.  I have no problem with her broken English but the right would crucify her if she was a Dem first lady.  No fucking doubt about that.

I don't understand the message with the jacket.  She knew where she was going and had to have known that the message would be an issue.  I'm really perplexed.  She didn't have to make the trip.  When it was announced that she was going to TX it seemed like she wanted to show how much she cared.  Now it's like she's sending a message to the base.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    I wasn't sure what to think of her until now. I kept seeing the videos of her pulling her hand away from him and frowning when he wasn't looking, etc. Now my opinion is firm. She is not worthy to be First Lady. The media is showing us what's going on in the government and it's not fake news...it's tragically real. These children are damaged forever...and too many will hate America forever.

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Will they hate America so much that they will return home and work on reform there to improve conditions there or just hate America but love the welfare that America provides?
  • Options
    I believe some will hate America because of the horrific experience they had being separated from their parents. Children experiencing separation anxiety of this magnitude will never be the same, screw the politics of it.

https://www.gatesnotes.com/Development/Foreign-Aid-Helps-Americas-Economy
    https://publicpolicy.wharton.upenn.edu/live/news/1969-foreign-aid-good-for-america-good-for-the-world/for-students/blog/news.php

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    unsung said:
    Will they hate America so much that they will return home and work on reform there to improve conditions there or just hate America but love the welfare that America provides?
    Do you watch the real news?  They left their "home" for a reason.  Not likely to go back there are do anything but barely survive if they are lucky.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    my2hands said:
    I'm so tired of the "poor little Melania" bullshit... she married this loser and was a full on birther, she isnt some innocent little girl 
    She isn't an elected official.  She isn't in the government at all except by marriage.  I mean you can not like her for marrying the guy I guess, but it seems pretty petty.
    For me, it's not about of whether I "like" or "dislike" her. I just don't have an ounce of respect for a woman that marries a rich guy for his money, or, a woman who sits there like a obedient dog when they're husband cheats on them. In the 90's, I used to rant about how much of a loser Hillary Clinton was for staying with Bill. Same holds true for Melania.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    Yesterday was all a show no substance from her the news has been blasting her husbands horrible policy, yet she never asked to go and see where the girls are or where the toddlers are that’s pathetic ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    edited June 2018
    Kat said:
    I wasn't sure what to think of her until now. I kept seeing the videos of her pulling her hand away from him and frowning when he wasn't looking, etc. Now my opinion is firm. She is not worthy to be First Lady. The media is showing us what's going on in the government and it's not fake news...it's tragically real. These children are damaged forever...and too many will hate America forever.

Isn't the only requirement to be First Lady that you married a liar -- err -- politician who was elected to be President?
    I can't believe I am defending her.  Actually, I am not - I am just "anti" the position that the First Lady needs to do/be anything.  Just because your spouse takes a job I don't feel that it should make you need to fit into a specified role.  If the First Lady wants to stay in the house all day I think she should be able to. 
    I remember being pissed when Willie gave his wife the task of fixing our heath care system.  (Chair of the Task Force)  Not saying it didn't need fixing but I am not sure what qualified the President's wife to have this responsibility.  Seems the right call for the President would have been to find the most competent and qualified person and offer them the job.  The idea that this person coincidentally was married to him was silly.
    (And I am sure there is a long history of other examples, this is just a big one that I could reference from my lifetime.)

Obviously, Trump trying to start out with his family helping to run things is even more idiotic.  Fits with him, though, right?

I get what you are saying, I think.  It is upsetting to see someone be callous in the face of something so tragic.  But, what is it to be worthy of being First Lady? 

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    unsung said:
    Do you personally know any immigrants on welfare?
  • Options
    Kat said:

Isn't the only requirement to be First Lady that you married a liar -- err -- politician who was elected to be President?
    I can't believe I am defending her.  Actually, I am not - I am just "anti" the position that the First Lady needs to do/be anything.  Just because your spouse takes a job I don't feel that it should make you need to fit into a specified role.  If the First Lady wants to stay in the house all day I think she should be able to. 
    I remember being pissed when Willie gave his wife the task of fixing our heath care system.  (Chair of the Task Force)  Not saying it didn't need fixing but I am not sure what qualified the President's wife to have this responsibility.  Seems the right call for the President would have been to find the most competent and qualified person and offer them the job.  The idea that this person coincidentally was married to him was silly.
    (And I am sure there is a long history of other examples, this is just a big one that I could reference from my lifetime.)

Obviously, Trump trying to start out with his family helping to run things is even more idiotic.  Fits with him, though, right?

I get what you are saying, I think.  It is upsetting to see someone be callous in the face of something so tragic.  But, what is it to be worthy of being First Lady? 

I think not being callous would be a good place to start. It's one of those "you know it when you see it" kind of things, I guess.

And I don't think Hillary did it alone. I think she sought out the best advisors she could; pulling things together, which someone had to do. Remember how they were both known for being Wonks...something I think is good. Reading is good too. :)

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    Kat said:

A jacket and now not “worthy” of being a First Lady? Who sets that standard anyhow? 

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Kat said:
    Kat said:

I think not being callous would be a good place to start. It's one of those "you know it when you see it" kind of things, I guess.

And I don't think Hillary did it alone. I think she sought out the best advisors she could; pulling things together, which someone had to do. Remember how they were both known for being Wonks...something I think is good. Reading is good too. :)

Yeah, I understand your point.  Doesn't ultimately change my opinion but I will sit on my hands.  It gives me a dirty feeling to be in any way defending dum-dum's wife.  (Poor lady has to live with him.  I cannot imagine what that must be like.)
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    For me, it's not about of whether I "like" or "dislike" her. I just don't have an ounce of respect for a woman that marries a rich guy for his money, or, a woman who sits there like a obedient dog when they're husband cheats on them. In the 90's, I used to rant about how much of a loser Hillary Clinton was for staying with Bill. Same holds true for Melania.
    Fair enough. I respect her some...but just like a lot of people she has some strikes against her.  But then again as she is not an elected official it doesn’t bother me a whole lot.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Kat said:

A jacket and now not “worthy” of being a First Lady? Who sets that standard anyhow? 

For me, I do. That's what we all do. She sent and wore the message; I didn't make it up.

• Options
    Kat said:
    Kat said:

For me, I do. That's what we all do. She sent and wore the message; I didn't make it up.

Nope you didn’t. She wore it. What we are all assuming is we know the reason why.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    Kat said:
    Kat said:

Nope you didn’t. She wore it. What we are all assuming is we know the reason why.

You’re right that none of us know why she chose that jacket. We have our theories and it’s like a Rorschach’s test of our own opinions and thoughts projected onto Melania. However, from where I stand there aren’t a lot of those options that look particularly good on her. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Kat said:
    Kat said:

You’re right that none of us know why she chose that jacket. We have our theories and it’s like a Rorschach’s test of our own opinions and thoughts projected onto Melania. However, from where I stand there aren’t a lot of those options that look particularly good on her. 
    Her master probably made her wear it.

I'm sorry, I meant "husband"
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Kat said:
    Kat said:

Would there be one good reason we are missing?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    unsung said:
    Do you watch the real news?  They left their "home" for a reason.  Not likely to go back there are do anything but barely survive if they are lucky.
    They didn't need to.  They could have applied for asylum at the US embassy in their home country and saved a lot of walking.  I'm just not sure if they were expecting a red carpet when they got here, looks like they are being taken care of pretty well.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    When I think about Melania and her fashion faux pas I am reminded of this.

Image result for zoolander
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fashion-brands-respond-to-melania-trump-zara-jacket_us_5b2cfe5ae4b0040e27424cda
    Proceeds go to Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services (RAICES). 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,547
  • Options
    I love that!! Apparently Eddie did that, according to her instagram
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Wow that is just awful. I mean among the worst attempts at humor I’ve seen
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Sure made me laugh. And laugh hard.
    Btw, it's not my attempt, it's on the Simpsons against Trump Facebook page....
  • Options
    Sure made me laugh. And laugh hard.
    Btw, it's not my attempt, it's on the Simpsons against Trump Facebook page....
    First one is funny, second is just lazy and awful.
    hippiemom = goodness