Options

Portland and Phoenix 2000 Posters...

cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
edited May 2018 in Lost Dogs
i’ve always loved this poster because its so different. I had a hell of a time acquiring it for some reason.  
Anyone know the full story on this print?  I’m not even sure that “show editions” exist.  Anyone at the show remember this being for sale?  I’ve only seen S/N versions appear on the market.  Gary Houston is the artist.  The show was cancelled and then rescheduled so maybe that caused some of the merch chaos?

Edited the title to reflect the Phoenix poster as well.  
Post edited by cp3iverson on

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    I'm not sure either.   We planned on hitting the last few dates of that tour.  Originally we had tickets for Portland and Seattlex2.  Then Portland got cancelled, so we transferred the tickets to Boise.  Then Portland happened again so we bought TM tickets for it.

I didn't enter the venue until later as I was trying to sell a pair of tickets for another board member (which I couldn't even get rid of for free).   I never saw the poster in the venue, and didn't find out about it until a few years ago when I saw it on expressobeans.    Luckily someone on there was selling it and I managed to buy it.

I do remember that not ever show on that tour had posters (there is no Boise poster :( ), so I'm not sure what's up with this one.
  • Options
    ^^^^interesting stuff, Zod.  Thanks.  

• Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,478
    All the official 2000 posters were by Ames. Anything else is a promoter/venue poster. The tell is seeing "Bill Graham Presents" on it. Phoenix also had no Ames poster but there's an unofficial one by Lindsey Kuhn. These posters are not sold at the shows which make them difficult to get.
  • Options
    The mystery continues lol.  

According to ebeans the band requested some of the APs from Gary Houston for charity. 
  • Options
    NAUjackfanNAUjackfan Phoenix Posts: 2,340
    All the official 2000 posters were by Ames. Anything else is a promoter/venue poster. The tell is seeing "Bill Graham Presents" on it. Phoenix also had no Ames poster but there's an unofficial one by Lindsey Kuhn. These posters are not sold at the shows which make them difficult to get.
    The Kuhn was sold at the Phoenix show.  Not sure what the delineation is for official or unofficial, but it was there in a seemingly official way.
    https://pearljam.com/tour/history/show/desert-sky-pavilion

tumblr_mtr9t5SROk1r0d33so1_400.gif
    Click to visit the Arizona PJ Fans Page

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    Vegas 1&2, PHX 12|Ohana 16
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • Options
    jamhead64jamhead64 Posts: 52
    Poster wasn’t sold at show. 

Pretty sure Gary (voodoo catbox) did the poster for the promoter of the show. 

I bought one one from Gary directly or indirectly at Rock Memories in Seattle shortly after the show. Gary is also responsible for the 2001 Groundworks poster.
  • Options
    I like the Bill Graham presents part of it.  Reminds me of some of the 1993 era posters.  Cool poster
  • Options
    The Kuhn was sold at the Phoenix show.  Not sure what the delineation is for official or unofficial, but it was there in a seemingly official way.

Just got the details from Lindsey Kuhn on the 2000 Phoenix poster...

Hi Marc,
    I was commissioned by the promoter who was in contact with the band and approved the poster as far as I know. They told me the band dug it and gave them a stack of them. This is how it worked back then, since bands were just figuring out the fact that they could make & sell them for merch.  Some bands did sell their stacks at the show, some kept them… In 2000 they actually still used the prints in the streets and shops around town to promote the shows.That is what the posters were made for back then.  Ive talked to several people in the area that got theirs from the street.
    hope that helps
    lk

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • Options
    TH113769TH113769 Posts: 436
    Good stuff @NAUjackfan
    92 - Phoenix; 93 - Mesa; 95 - Phoenix; 98 - Phoenix; 2000- Phoenix; 2003 - San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix; 2006 - Denver 1, Denver 2, Las Vegas, San Diego;  2009 - Chicago 1, Chicago 2, San Diego; 2013 - Phoenix, San Diego, LA 1, LA 2, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle; 2014 - Detroit, Moline, Milwaukee, Denver; 2016 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 and 2; 2018 - Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London1, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Werchter, Barca, Missoula, Chicago 1&2, Boston 1&2.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I like how Kuhn threw in the "That is what the posters were made for back then" remark.  I cracked up reading that.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Emailed with Gary.  For the Portland poster it was for Bill Graham but Gary had the Ames Bros’ thumbs up to do the print.  

Seems like definitely under 300 in existence. Possibly 270 signed ones and thats it.  And again it was referenced that the band wanted some of them.  Pretty cool story.  We solved some mysteries today! :lol:
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,007
    Zod said:
    I'm not sure either.   We planned on hitting the last few dates of that tour.  Originally we had tickets for Portland and Seattlex2.  Then Portland got cancelled, so we transferred the tickets to Boise.  Then Portland happened again so we bought TM tickets for it.

I didn't enter the venue until later as I was trying to sell a pair of tickets for another board member (which I couldn't even get rid of for free).   I never saw the poster in the venue, and didn't find out about it until a few years ago when I saw it on expressobeans.    Luckily someone on there was selling it and I managed to buy it.

I do remember that not ever show on that tour had posters (there is no Boise poster :( ), so I'm not sure what's up with this one.
    Charlotte, NC 2000 didn't have a poster either 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,478

Hi Marc,
    I was commissioned by the promoter who was in contact with the band and approved the poster as far as I know. They told me the band dug it and gave them a stack of them. This is how it worked back then, since bands were just figuring out the fact that they could make & sell them for merch.  Some bands did sell their stacks at the show, some kept them… In 2000 they actually still used the prints in the streets and shops around town to promote the shows.That is what the posters were made for back then.  Ive talked to several people in the area that got theirs from the street.
    hope that helps
    lk
    Wow, thanks for reaching out and clearing that up, as I always wondered about that poster. I never saw it for sale at the Phoenix show. It probably sold out before I made the merch stand. It's a cool poster with the crystal ball.
  • Options
    Looks like the band still approved of these show posters.  I like Phoenix and Portland. Very different feel from the Ames 2000 series
  • Options

Hi Marc,
    hope that helps
    lk
    Wow, thanks for reaching out and clearing that up, as I always wondered about that poster. I never saw it for sale at the Phoenix show. It probably sold out before I made the merch stand. It's a cool poster with the crystal ball.
    My memory was that I saw it for sale afterwards and I decided to buy the two PJ lithos (Binaural artwork and the wide, blue DNA one) because they were only $5 each and (at the time...still kicking myself for not buying a Kuhn that night) I liked their look better than the Kuhn.

PJ
    EV
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,793
    While I was poking around looking for this poster I found Kuhn has an uncut classic poster proof set for sale on his website, includes small pheonix poster. 6 sheets on cardstock signed and numbered out of 36 for 75 bucks. surprised this is available.
    Only 1 left so be quick if you want it!

figure I can use creative framing to block out the other crazy posters included.
    It was a great show!!!!! Long road in an az lightning storm, mist and fog blowing over the stage. Lucky to have been there.
  • Options
    Ive got one of the Portland posters, Its an A/P.... Ive thought about letting go of it but, I really don't know what to ask for it 
    There's alot to be said for Nowhere
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    randynesterrandynester Posts: 171
    Loujoe said:

I have that poster for sale if you're trying to acquire one.
  • Options
    Pmd^
  • Options
    edwhoedwho Posts: 811

Hi Marc,
    hope that helps
    lk
    My memory was that I saw it for sale afterwards and I decided to buy the two PJ lithos (Binaural artwork and the wide, blue DNA one) because they were only $5 each and (at the time...still kicking myself for not buying a Kuhn that night) I liked their look better than the Kuhn.

When I started going to small venue concerts in the Bay Area mid '80's Bill Graham posters were handed out free as you left. I think it was a way to clear the house asap.

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Options
    gus stillsgus stills Posts: 339
    I've got the Portland one. Emailed Gary and ordered it directly from him a couple years ago, if I remember correctly. Super nice guy and a nice print. I don't remember seeing it at the show, but that was a long time ago.