Options

2018 NFL Draft

13»

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10 said:
    Picking a RB 2nd overall is foolish.  

It is such a plug and play position, without much separation between the top and low.  Much of it is a product of the entire offense.  Kind of like goaltending in the NHL.   T
    Teams have figured this out, which is why you dont see running backs chosen highly anymore, and you dont see them with high contracts.  

The Giants not drafting Darnold to replace their 41 year old QB who hasnt been good and was benched last year was foolish.  I would be irate if I were a fan.  If youre not going to draft a QB, go with Nelson or Chubb.

This was the widely held belief for a period of time recently.

This mentality is beginning to change though. Like every position and perhaps more, it's a crapshoot with quarterbacks. This has been proven time and time again. Mayfield went 1st overall and he's no slam dunk by any means. He'll be a lot of salary and only 'might' eventually prove to be worth the investment.

Saquon is safe and makes the Giants better immediately. Wayne Gallman never exactly had defences trembling in their cleats. People are suggesting he might only have four years, but that's a little pessimistic- a running backs' average career also factors in those RBs that entered the league and couldn't play.

Eli is definitely on the downside of his career, but he still has game. Look at how Elliot made the Cowboys better. Granted... there have been teams find guys like Kamara a little later in the draft, but that's leaving a lot to chance. For every Kamara... there's a Mixon or Perine.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    MayDay10 said:
    Picking a RB 2nd overall is foolish.  

It is such a plug and play position, without much separation between the top and low.  Much of it is a product of the entire offense.  Kind of like goaltending in the NHL.   T
    Teams have figured this out, which is why you dont see running backs chosen highly anymore, and you dont see them with high contracts.  

The Giants not drafting Darnold to replace their 41 year old QB who hasnt been good and was benched last year was foolish.  I would be irate if I were a fan.  If youre not going to draft a QB, go with Nelson or Chubb.
    I agree with most of what you say but the benching of Manning was the fault of management.  Manning has never been a good quarterback anyways.  I know he won 2 superbowls but he's just not that good and yes I think they should have drafted a QB.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Barkley is like Herschel Walker. The kid is a freak and will be an instant difference maker. I do agree though that investing such a high pick in RB in today’s NFL is risky. He will be a beast though. 
  • Options
    I was shocked Dallas passed on Ridley. They need a WR badly after dropping Dez. The LB they drafted is a stud, but that was an interesting call. 
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Herschel Walker was in a much different time.  Also Ezekiel Elliott wouldnt be nearly as effective outside that Cowboys O-Line.  You also have guys like Richardson and Reggie Bush.  

I also think the Giants seem to be stuck between whether to rebuild or go for it.  They have an old school GM (which isnt a good thing).  IMO they will be buried in the near-term by Philly and Dallas... and will time out Manning's career and Beckham is going to either be a burden on their cap or they will lose him for pennies on the dollar.  

If it were me, I would have traded down.  Accumulate picks and assets.  Could have gotten (3) 2nd round picks plus (in what is supposed to be a great 2nd round) and moved to 6th.  Would have been able to get Nelson or Allen, plus 3 or 4 more players.  
  • Options
    ^ Agreed. I’d trade down every time. Teams give up a kings ransom to move up the draft board. So few top picks pan out, especially at skilled positions, that I’d trade down and stockpile picks for sure. 
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Just saw Rosens press conference.  What an ungrateful little prick!
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    That's a UCLA guy for ya.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    KC138045 said:
    class A douchebag. I can’t believe that press conference. I hope he fails miserably 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    KC138045 said:
    class A douchebag. I can’t believe that press conference. I hope he fails miserably 
    I hope that he does great.  I don't mind a little bit of swagger and balls which he showed both.  Now he needs to execute.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    KC138045 said:
    I hope that he does great.  I don't mind a little bit of swagger and balls which he showed both.  Now he needs to execute.
    I like swagger and balls from any athlete.  I don’t consider his presser either of those. Just my opinion 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    He's been an ass all along, that is something that was well known since he started on campus.

He does have elite skills, I just hate on him because he went to fUCLA.

I love the Niners trading up to get Pettis.  Dude is a playmaker.  Being the leader in punt return TDs is a nice bonus 
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,405
    Pittsburgh drafting Ben's replacement
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Good value there
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    KC138045 said:
    I like swagger and balls from any athlete.  I don’t consider his presser either of those. Just my opinion 
    Heheheh, you do?

Sorry, I made myself laugh.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    KC138045 said:
    Heheheh, you do?

Sorry, I made myself laugh.
    Lol...well played buddy 
  • Options

lol

I like watching the first round, but I can appreciate this.
    "My brain's a good brain!"