Options

If you only had access to one of these genres of books, which would you choose?

2»

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    Science/Nature/Outdoor Adventure
    I love The World According to Garp. After reading that book, I went on a John Irving binge, and even though he has written other excellent books, Garp is still my favorite. Also love Truman Capote. I came across this photo of him just not too long ago and I thought it was so cool. So Truman Capote.

Great photo.   Capote is amazing (and yes, Irving too!).  In 10th grade, my English teacher gave us a reading list from which we were to pick a book to read.  I looked it over and told her I had read most of them including all the Steinbeck on the list.  She thought  a moment and then went to her desk and pulled out a book and handed it to me and said, "Why don't you try this one.  I think you'll like it."  The book was Capote's Other Voices, Other Rooms.  That book completely blew me away- I'd never read anything like it before- and I became a huge Capote fan.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Biographies
    After I read your comment, I thought "Wish I would've had a teacher like that"...then I thought," I probably did, but I was a knucklehead student." Good on ya for having already read most of the books on the list!!
  • Options
    After I read your comment, I thought "Wish I would've had a teacher like that"...then I thought," I probably did, but I was a knucklehead student." Good on ya for having already read most of the books on the list!!
    I have always thought I was very lucky to have had a teacher as good as that one.  One day, she came into class, didn't say a word, went up to the blackboard and wrote "Death is the ultimate joke".   That piqued my curiosity and I've never forgotten that incident.  I've thought about it often and never have fully understood what she meant but I see it as a life-long challenge to try to come to that understanding.  I will probably get it on my death bed.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Biographies
    Death is the ultimate joke. We spend all our lives, every second, filled with earthly concerns, (maybe even some otherworldly concerns at times), but we can't take money, things, feelings, or even knowledge with us.I never had a teacher like that. You were very lucky, and she was lucky to have you as a student.
  • Options
    Death is the ultimate joke. We spend all our lives, every second, filled with earthly concerns, (maybe even some otherworldly concerns at times), but we can't take money, things, feelings, or even knowledge with us.I never had a teacher like that. You were very lucky, and she was lucky to have you as a student.
    Why, I think you have it!  My teacher (sadly I have forgotten her name), very likely had much of what you say in mind.  I'm feeling lucky to have you help me get way closer to wrapping my head around that fifty year old enigma.  Awesome, thank you, OffSheGoes!

• Options
    Biographies
    ^^^Thank you, kind sir!  :)

I have really been wanting to delve into the genre of magical realism. So, I welcome suggestions.
  • Options
    ^^^Thank you, kind sir!  :)

I have really been wanting to delve into the genre of magical realism. So, I welcome suggestions.
    Same here but I have not done so yet.  Several people have suggested Gabriel García Márquez, particularly Love in the Time of Cholera and One Hundred Years of Solitude.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    You also can’t go wrong with Midnight’s Children

And my favorite more contemporary example is Swamplandia! by my homegirl Karen Russell. Anything Karen Russell, really. She’s stunning. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    You also can’t go wrong with Midnight’s Children

And my favorite more contemporary example is Swamplandia! by my homegirl Karen Russell. Anything Karen Russell, really. She’s stunning. 
    Swamplandia- good to hear kudos regarding that one.  I hadn't heard anything either way before. Must add it to my ever looooooong list!

• Options
    oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    Science Fiction
    PJ_Soul said:
    I would actually choose the dystopian future/apocalyptic genre, if you can call that a genre.... I guess that covers a couple different genres at least. I chose horror for some reason to try and cover this, and because I'm a big Stephen King fan and wouldn't want to give him up (I really don't read any horror at all besides him, and lots of his stuff isn't even horror), but that doesn't cover it at all. To choose that "genre" I'd need to select modern fiction/lit, science fiction, and horror.... I guess I needed a sub-genre selection!
    Yes to dystopian novels, Stephen King and history. And historical fiction. I am struggling with your categories Brian.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    Best Sellers (Clancy, Patterson, etc.)
    Action/Suspense. Examp,
    Louis L'Amour's Last of the Bread is a fantastic page Turner.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_of_the_Breed

• Options
    RYME said:
    Action/Suspense. Examp,

I think my father must have read every Louis every printed!

I would have thought for sure you would have listed biographies- you know, books about Waylon and Willie and Johnny, LOL.  But hey, why not!  I have eight books by or about Willie Nelson alone.  And they're all great (especially The Tao of Willie which is like a Bible to me.)

• Options
    LOL-

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited April 2018
    Best Sellers (Clancy, Patterson, etc.)
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    Action/Suspense. Examp,

I would have thought for sure you would have listed biographies- you know, books about Waylon and Willie and Johnny, LOL.  But hey, why not!  I have eight books by or about Willie Nelson alone.  And they're all great (especially The Tao of Willie which is like a Bible to me.)

Yeah I guess I needed more than one choice.  I've got a lot of biographies to.
    I'm not a big fan of Louis l'amour's short story Cowboys & Indians books.
    The Quick and the Dead is good, and Conager is very good.
    But Last of the Breed is a standalone.  By far Louis L'Aamour's best work have you read it?  His detail is so vivid you can feel the wind blowing in your face.  The main character in last of the breed travels across Siberia trying to escape his captors.  I couldn't put it down, I read it about 10 years ago I still think about it once in awhile.  While I was reading it I thought that some of the songs from into the wild would go good with this story as well.  Last of the Breed would make a great movie I wish someone would do it.
    (Side Note). I'm going to Noblesville Indiana June 23rd For Willie Nelson's Outlaw Music Festival.  Featuring Willie Nelson and Friends of course, The Head and the Heart, Old Crow Medicine Show and more... I'm stoked. B)

Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    Action/Suspense. Examp,

Yeah I guess I needed more than one choice.  I've got a lot of biographies to.
    I'm not a big fan of Louis l'amour's short story Cowboys & Indians books.
    The Quick and the Dead is good, and Conager is very good.
    But Last of the Breed is a standalone.  By far Louis L'Aamour's best work have you read it?  His detail is so vivid you can feel the wind blowing in your face.  The main character in last of the breed travels across Siberia trying to escape his captors.  I couldn't put it down, I read it about 10 years ago I still think about it once in awhile.  While I was reading it I thought that some of the songs from into the wild would go good with this story as well.  Last of the Breed would make a great movie I wish someone would do it.
    (Side Note). I'm going to Noblesville Indiana June 23rd For Willie Nelson's Outlaw Music Festival.  Featuring Willie Nelson and Friends of course, The Head and the Heart, Old Crow Medicine Show and more... I'm stoked. B)

I read Brionne because a friend once used that as a nick-name for me.  (It is also, oddly enough, the name of a Pokémon , lol). That particular book did not do much for me though I would not dis an author based on one book alone.