Options

The Running Jammers thread

deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
Any runners ou there? 10K, Half Marathon, Marathon? Trainings? Hello to all!!!!
ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I run between 2 and 7 miles 6 days a week at an average of 9:30 minutes per mile.

I have zero desire to run for more than an hour or so and I don't get the distance running thing.

How does one find time to work the rest of the body if you run so much?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254
    It often takes me an hour to loosen up and really feel as if I'm in the zone, LOL.
    I think it depends on your priorities. A lot of people who are into heavy lifting or bodybuilding don't run much. Some seem to think it inhibits building up leg muscles. My husband has been lifting heavy recently, and it has had a real impact on his running. My trainer had me lifting heavy the other day, and I noted that odds were nobody else in the gym had run ten miles before doing squats; he said "Most of these guys can't run to their cars if the alarm is going off."

On the other hand, people who are serious about long-distance running tend to shy away from strength training, even for upper body, because they don't want to carry any excess weight when racing.

On the third hand: I'm female. I run 65 miles/ week and spend about six hours/week on lifting. I get a lot of (positive) comments on my legs from female bodybuilders at the gym. And I am much faster than I used to be, without doing speedwork. Go figure.

@deftones, I am thinking about getting back into racing in 2018. No marathons for me, though; the training takes too much out of me. After running 20-22 miles, I'm really not good for anything the rest of the day.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I can't understand why anyone lifts or runs without taking the other seriously as well.
    Whatever floats your boat floats your boat, but I think it's dumb lol

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,767
    Reminds me of an old joke I heard a few years back.

Q: How do you know of someone has run a half marathon? 

A: They are sure to tell you. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    rgambs said:
    I can't understand why anyone lifts or runs without taking the other seriously as well.
    Whatever floats your boat floats your boat, but I think it's dumb lol

Try Ironman training 
    Then you'll  really learn to schedule 
  • Options
    deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    I run about 40-45 km per week, no strength training though. Still can't include this in my training routine.
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • Options
    Not shocked to see what number 1 is.
    My number 1 would be pizza with cheesecake a close 2nd.

The Number One Food Athletes Eat as a Reward 
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254

Well, we've all been told that it's a great recovery drink.... =)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I never thought I'd be the type of person to get up early and go running. I was right.
  • Options

Well, we've all been told that it's a great recovery drink.... =)
    The problem is that for most races that have a beer sponsor it's  not good beer. It's  often bud, miller lite, Michelle ultra, etc etc
    Rarely is it a good craft beer.
    My preferred recovery drink is a low sugar, low fat chocolate milk