Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    It's not STP without Scott. Never been a fan of bands going on with a new singer.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    They should not be allowed to use that name without Scott. I know they won the lawsuit or whatever, but I see it as false advertising. I can't count how many nostalgia concerts that I have been to, only to find out after the band starts that it's not the original lead singer.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    It's not STP without Scott. Never been a fan of bands going on with a new singer.
    AC/DC & Van Halen are exceptions..
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    AC/DC are exceptions..
    fixed that for ya  ;)
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,606
    They should not be allowed to use that name without Scott. I know they won the lawsuit or whatever, but I see it as false advertising. I can't count how many nostalgia concerts that I have been to, only to find out after the band starts that it's not the original lead singer.
    Alice in Chains?
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,989
    Blind Melon too. Solid album and shows even without Shannon. 

A great band is a great band, regardless of the singer. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    Did I ever say that they still won't be a great band? I just said that using the original name feels wrong. Anyone remember Talk Show?

And AC/DC pulled it off because they weren't that big in the states yet. Most fans had never heard of Bon Scott. Van Halen fans were mixed. Personally, I never liked Roth, so I prefer the Hagar stuff. Hell, I prefer the Cherone stuff over Roth.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    Did I ever say that they still won't be a great band? I just said that using the original name feels wrong. Anyone remember Talk Show?

And AC/DC pulled it off because they weren't that big in the states yet. Most fans had never heard of Bon Scott. Van Halen fans were mixed. Personally, I never liked Roth, so I prefer the Hagar stuff. Hell, I prefer the Cherone stuff over Roth.

Wow. that is a diss.

but I agree, Roth is/was a clown

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,487
    The other members of the band have the right to make music and profit from the name. They're not going to get as much attention without the brand name.
  • Options

Never said you did. Just adding my opinion. 
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,313
    If a singer leaves a band, or a broken up band gets back together with a different singer, then they should use a different name. It's different when the singer dies though. The rest of the band still have the right to make their living using the name they are known for. And there's also a feeling of keeping the name alive in memory of their departed band mate.

Also, if they changed their name, but still played all STP songs, then they would be seen as nothing more than an STP cover band.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889
    edited November 2017
    I'm not in any way to debate how STP should handle their business. As a fan, I would say, just find your singer that feels right. There's no need to announce shit, keep people in the loop, etc. You have nothing to prove to anyone, we all know who makes the music. Scott W was a beast of a front man/singer/writer/all around performer. He's gone, his legacy will live on.... Bringing Chester in really didn't work but nobody can really deny that it still had the STP sound. These guys are great musicians, they just need the right person who fits in with their style of music. I don't care if it takes a year or a few, just don't become that band who is irrelevant cause you're trying to stay relevant with "hey we're still around, just letting you know'....  If that makes any sinse at all.... STP is one of the best ever, simple as that. What ever happens next we adapt.
    Post edited by Attaway77 on
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    goldrush said:
    If a singer leaves a band, or a broken up band gets back together with a different singer, then they should use a different name. It's different when the singer dies though. The rest of the band still have the right to make their living using the name they are known for. And there's also a feeling of keeping the name alive in memory of their departed band mate.

Also, if they changed their name, but still played all STP songs, then they would be seen as nothing more than an STP cover band.
    This.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    dudeman said:
    Blind Melon too. Solid album and shows even without Shannon. 

A great band is a great band, regardless of the singer. 
    I disagree.  I think replacing the singer is one of the hardest things to do in a band.  It only works out really well on very rare occasions (AC/DC, maybe Van Halen).  Where they manage to make albums as epic (or almost as epic) as the ones with the previous singer.    It's not quite the same (say Journey) when they can't make new music anywhere near as good as the old tunes.  It ends up being a guy covering another guys songs.

I like the new version of AIC but I don't love them.   William Duvall is pretty good live.  The two new albums are good, but not great.    I'll go see them live but they're not the same band they were with Layne.. it's like a photocopy.... decent, but not as good as the original.

I really do think AC/DC is the only band to truly ever pull it off.   Bryan Johnson's albums (At least the first bunch) were just as good and epic as Bon Scott's.   People come to see his songs just as much (or more) than the ones from the Bon Scott albums.    If I go see AC/DC is feels like my AC/DC (not including last years reincarnation).   

Van Halen was close.  Hagar Era had some good tunes, but not many front to back good albums like the Roth era. 
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    The singer is the most recognizable part of a band.  But it’s still an equal part of the band.  Pearl Jam didn’t change names when they changed drummers.  
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    FrankY59 said:
    The singer is the most recognizable part of a band.  But it’s still an equal part of the band.  Pearl Jam didn’t change names when they changed drummers.  
    Idisagree.  Changing the singer is the most jarring thing you can do it in a band.   It's a little less obvious when its the drummer or bass player.   You swap out Eddie Vedder for another singer instead of the drummer.... I highly doubt they would of continued their success.
  • Options
    I'll always give it a go, good music is good music to me, and the name really doesn't change that for me. I didn't really care for Chester's voice when he was filling in, but I love the songs, and would never begrudge the band wanting to perform the songs they wrote together.  I look forward to hearing who they've chosen, it feels like a long time in the making.

• Options
    If the new singer doesn't work out, I'll volunteer my vocal services. It's the least I could do. 
  • Options
    ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Bahaha i actually tried out for the band. 
    It didn't work out i guess.
  • Options
    I'll always give it a go, good music is good music to me, and the name really doesn't change that for me. I didn't really care for Chester's voice when he was filling in, but I love the songs, and would never begrudge the band wanting to perform the songs they wrote together.  I look forward to hearing who they've chosen, it feels like a long time in the making.

Bingo....give it a shot and let the music produced decide if it was a good move or not. Don't let a handful of fanboy purists run your ethics committee.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    pj8pj8 Posts: 408

I'm not supportive of STP using the name STP without Scott whatsoever. I do have to say though, Talk Show is one of my favorite albums ever even though I am a die-hard Weiland supporter. It is not an STP album though, and neither is High Rise (though I have tons of respect for Chester). 
  • Options
    GET JOSS STONE.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    The comments about keeping Scott's memory alive by continuing on as STP, you do know that the lawsuit over the name was settled long before his death, right? So even if he was still alive, STP would be going on with a different singer, using the STP name. But stating that apparently makes me a fanboy purist, so I'll just shut up.