Options

Auto Destruct

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
Sorry, I just like that as a thread title.  What we're really after here is a thread about automobiles you've trashed.  I was in a discussion about the topic elsewhere and thought it would make for an interesting thread.

What cars have you trashed, crashed, burned to the ground or otherwise destroyed?

Here's mine:

In the early 70's I had an early 60's VW Bug, my "pregnant roller skate".  It used a lot of oil.  One day while taking a friend from San Francisco to San Jose on the 280 in the Bay Area, I'd forgotten to check the oil.  I was doing about 80 MPH and all of the sudden, BANG!  Threw a rod clean through the engine block. It wasn't worth rebuilding as the body was already shot.  It blew air through the rusted out body down by my feet and the fenders flapped like broken wings.  Oh, but it did have racing stripes.  :lol:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    83 Chrysler Cordoba.  Tank.

This car desert wamped, snow traversed.  

It met hills, sage brush, snow mounds, mud.

The engine ran and ran and ran.

I gave it away to my buddy whom gave it a new life as a demolition derby car.
  • Options
    83 Chrysler Cordoba.  Tank.

This car desert wamped, snow traversed.  

It met hills, sage brush, snow mounds, mud.

The engine ran and ran and ran.

I gave it away to my buddy whom gave it a new life as a demolition derby car.
    My Pop took me to a demolition derby when I was just a kid.  I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    I had (3) 60's bugs and a '67 bus. I had gone to an awesome "stand by me" type railroad trestle jump into a river with 3 friends in my '63 bug (rolled once, plywood rear windows, shag carpeting from the floor to the roof, 4x4 wood rear bumper), on the way home, the oil light came on. "faulty oil light" thought I. uh, no. limped into a gas station and added insult to injury by buying 3 quarts of oil (a buck a quart!). didn't do jack. told the gas station, "I'll grab the 8-track, you can have the car"

*younger readers - google " 8-track"
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    I had (3) 60's bugs and a '67 bus. I had gone to an awesome "stand by me" type railroad trestle jump into a river with 3 friends in my '63 bug (rolled once, plywood rear windows, shag carpeting from the floor to the roof, 4x4 wood rear bumper), on the way home, the oil light came on. "faulty oil light" thought I. uh, no. limped into a gas station and added insult to injury by buying 3 quarts of oil (a buck a quart!). didn't do jack. told the gas station, "I'll grab the 8-track, you can have the car"

*younger readers - google " 8-track"
    :lol:   Good story!

8-Track, heck yeah! The best!   I had one of those under-the-dash mounts in my Malibu so I could pull it out and stow it in the trunk because in those day, thieves would rip them right out and sell them for cash.