Options

Who was at BOTH MSG '98 and '10? Which was better & why?

Comments

• Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    And night 1 in 98 was kind of a dud.  Maybe not a total dud, but lots of equipment problems and the Ken Starr stuff really didn't come off all that well.  I think they came out night 2 very focused and intent on putting on an amazing show.  Everything about that show was perfect.  Amazing Release opener (and all around song selection).  Man trilogy.  The Breath campaign.  And Ed climbing the mic cord during an unusual Alive closer.  One of my favorite PJ memories.

• Options
    StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    edited July 2017
    And night one 98 they encored with Soldier of Love, which was so weak. But again, try telling 21 year old me watching my heroes for the first time from the 7th row that show sucked...
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    JH6056 said:
    By the way, which song is "Why Can't I Touch It?"?  (Holmdel setlist)
    Buzzcocks cover
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Thank you, I couldn't figure that one out!
  • Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
     that night 2 2010 was pretty amazing.  was at all 4 in this discussion. 
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    So how would you rank the 4?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    JH6056 said:
    IMO:
    MSG2 2010
    MSG2 1998
    MSG1 2010
    MSG1 1998
    Post edited by JP218404 on
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    JP218404 said:
    JH6056 said:
    IMO:
    MSG2 2010
    MSG2 2008
    MSG1 2010
    MSG1 2008
    Aaaah, you mean those 4.  I thought you meant the 2 '98s and the 2 '10s, but it's interesting to see the ranking of these 4 too.  I'd be interested as well to see all the NYC area shows ranked, including Randall's Island, Jones Beach, Barclays and Meadowlands...
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    JP218404 said:
    JH6056 said:
    IMO:
    MSG2 2010
    MSG2 2008
    MSG1 2010
    MSG1 2008
    Aaaah, you mean those 4.  I thought you meant the 2 '98s and the 2 '10s, but it's interesting to see the ranking of these 4 too.  I'd be interested as well to see all the NYC area shows ranked, including Randall's Island, Jones Beach, Barclays and Meadowlands...
    I can't do that NYC ranking.  just look at my signature and no way anything gonna beat 91/92 years for me regardless of the amazing development of the band over the years.
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    JP218404 said:
    JH6056 said:
    JP218404 said:
    JH6056 said:
    IMO:
    MSG2 2010
    MSG2 2008
    MSG1 2010
    MSG1 2008
    I can't do that NYC ranking.  just look at my signature and no way anything gonna beat 91/92 years for me regardless of the amazing development of the band over the years.
    and oops .  I meant 98
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,372
    For me in just NY shows its:

Randalls I
    Randalls II
    Garden 98 II
    Holmdel 03
    Garden 2010 II
    Uniondale 03
    Garden 2016 II
    THE REST...all awesome...except that 2010 show at The Rock in Newark, I dont know WTF happened there but it was just awful to be at. The bootleg is better than the show was.
  • Options
    RS65573 said:

Randalls I
    Randalls II
    Garden 98 II
    Holmdel 03
    Garden 2010 II
    Uniondale 03
    Garden 2016 II
    THE REST...all awesome...except that 2010 show at The Rock in Newark, I dont know WTF happened there but it was just awful to be at. The bootleg is better than the show was.
    Was on the floor for the Rock and the I didn't think the sound was very good that night and that didn't help
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    JP218404 said:
    RS65573 said:

Randalls I
    Randalls II
    Garden 98 II
    Holmdel 03
    Garden 2010 II
    Uniondale 03
    Garden 2016 II
    Was on the floor for the Rock and the I didn't think the sound was very good that night and that didn't help
    Id kill to have been at those 91 shows...
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    RS65573 said:
    JP218404 said:
    RS65573 said:

Randalls I
    Randalls II
    Garden 98 II
    Holmdel 03
    Garden 2010 II
    Uniondale 03
    Garden 2016 II
    Id kill to have been at those 91 shows...
    they didn't suck.  Limelight 92 might beat them all in 91 because of what happened over that past year with them. that show was pure chaos. but 91 is extremely special of course

Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    I think my top ten new york area shows are ranked as:
    1.  randall's night 2, 96/msg 2, 98
    2.  msg 2, 2010
    3.  Holmdel, 2003
    4.  uniondale, 2003 
    5.  msg 1, 2016
    6.  barclays night 2, 13
    7. msg 1, 03
    8.  east rutherford, 98
    9. east rutherford night 2, 06 (sick porch that night)
    10.  jones beach 2, 2000

the worst out of all the shows was definitely newark 2010...great set but the crowd was absolutely terrible.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Very cool to see that list!  Your list and what it sounds like would be JP218404's list both sound/look wildly jealousy-inducing!  Those are some historical shows on both lists... or even if they're not famous/infamous shows, one can imagine what it must've been like to be there based on either how early it was or how discussed it is.
  • Options
    I will also say, after thinking about this, and how I felt in 98, if you told me then, I would go to a PJ show at MSG in 2016 and it would get CLOSE to those epic shows, id have said, no way ,no how they can be that powerful that long.

They are. You can see I have MSG 2016 II, Mcgruff has 2016 I. They were amazing in 2016.
  • Options
    Ouch, it hurts that I was just too overwhelmed with life to even think about trying to go to those shows.  And the Temple of the Dog shows.

Glad you guys were there and that they continued to rock your worlds to those extremes!
  • Options
    RS65573 said:
    I will also say, after thinking about this, and how I felt in 98, if you told me then, I would go to a PJ show at MSG in 2016 and it would get CLOSE to those epic shows, id have said, no way ,no how they can be that powerful that long.

They are. You can see I have MSG 2016 II, Mcgruff has 2016 I. They were amazing in 2016.
    2016 2 was amazing.  Brooklyn not getting enough love in this discussion.

I've only missed a couple area (NYC/ NJ) shows over the years.  Academy and Irving Plaza are the two that kill me.  More Irving than Academy since I had NO desire to be in Time Square on NYE so it's all on me :)
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    I went to all the Brooklyn shows...great shows, not epic shows in my opinion. Something about that place just doesnt feel/sound right.
  • Options
    RS65573 said:
    I went to all the Brooklyn shows...great shows, not epic shows in my opinion. Something about that place just doesnt feel/sound right.
    I'll agree with you on the place.  sat in the lower first night and upper second.  def different experiences .  the place is HIGH just like the Rock,   
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    JP218404 said:
    RS65573 said:

I've only missed a couple area (NYC/ NJ) shows over the years.  Academy and Irving Plaza are the two that kill me.  More Irving than Academy since I had NO desire to be in Time Square on NYE so it's all on me :)
    Have you ever written up your experiences of the '91 and '92 shows?  My 1st show was '93 and I hardly remember anything musically about it, I just remember the experience from several angles.  But most people have better memories than me so... would love to hear about the shows you saw, especially Wetlands and the Marquee, which are both clubs I've been in but never to see PJ.
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    JP218404 said:
    RS65573 said:

Have you ever written up your experiences of the '91 and '92 shows?  My 1st show was '93 and I hardly remember anything musically about it, I just remember the experience from several angles.  But most people have better memories than me so... would love to hear about the shows you saw, especially Wetlands and the Marquee, which are both clubs I've been in but never to see PJ.
    I haven't.  Marquee was a Sub Pop night that they were on. Went on early and not too many people there.  Afghan Whigs were the headliners. and a lot of Epic Records folks in the place since it was their first NYC show. Chamberlin was on Drums for it.  you kinda knew you were seeing something special.  they had "IT". that why two days later I went to Wetlands.  just saw on youtube a couple moths ago the first live video I have ever seen from that night.  I was on the left side of the stage next to Sean Lennon.

The Roseland shows- that bill for me at the time was my wet dream.  Peppers and Pumpkins. plus that show was my only time meeting Eddie and what he did made me a fan for life.  

I was working in college radio at the time and me and buddy got backstage after there set and we rolled up on him and just talking with him and a record label guy came over and told him he needed him and tried to pull him away and ed told him to 'fuck off . don't you see I'm talking to these guys!"

Limelight I can't even describe it.  NOTHING will ever beat it. just that simple.

It's a long time ago so details are hard to remember, all I can say is see it ya knew they were more than just 'another grunge band'
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    Great write up, thanks. Love it.
  • Options
    RS65573 said:
    Great write up, thanks. Love it.
    thanks.  
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    JP218404 said:
    JH6056 said:
    JP218404 said:
    RS65573 said:

I haven't.  Marquee was a Sub Pop night that they were on. Went on early and not too many people there.  Afghan Whigs were the headliners. and a lot of Epic Records folks in the place since it was their first NYC show. Chamberlin was on Drums for it.  you kinda knew you were seeing something special.  they had "IT". that why two days later I went to Wetlands.  just saw on youtube a couple moths ago the first live video I have ever seen from that night.  I was on the left side of the stage next to Sean Lennon.

The Roseland shows- that bill for me at the time was my wet dream.  Peppers and Pumpkins. plus that show was my only time meeting Eddie and what he did made me a fan for life.  

I was working in college radio at the time and me and buddy got backstage after there set and we rolled up on him and just talking with him and a record label guy came over and told him he needed him and tried to pull him away and ed told him to 'fuck off . don't you see I'm talking to these guys!"

Limelight I can't even describe it.  NOTHING will ever beat it. just that simple.

It's a long time ago so details are hard to remember, all I can say is see it ya knew they were more than just 'another grunge band'
    awesome stories bud.  what college were you at?
  • Options

JP218404 said:
    RS65573 said:
    I'll agree with you on the place.  sat in the lower first night and upper second.  def different experiences .  the place is HIGH just like the Rock,   
    Agree with everyone about barclays.  shows were good but the place felt stale (if that makes sense).
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    mcgruff10 said:
    JP218404 said:
    JH6056 said:
    JP218404 said:
    RS65573 said:

awesome stories bud.  what college were you at?
    University of New Haven. Worked at WNHU from 88-92. Pretty big college station at the time 
    Post edited by JP218404 on
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    JP218404 said:
    JH6056 said:
    JP218404 said:
    RS65573 said:

Jayzus, I didn't think I could be any more jealous than I already was, but the Afghan Whigs then were already a favorite live band of mine and that was sometime around "Congregation" ('92ish) so they probably were already playing some of those songs... I AM SO MAD AT YOU, it is GROSSLY UNFAIR to have seen PJ in those tiny places, that early, along with the Afghan Whigs!!!  =)  Did you even like the Whigs, or they didn't really do anything for you?

Can you say more about Limelight? I didn't even know they played Limelight... I'm mad at you for being at that too!  But you said it was the best of the best, why?  What about it?

Love your story of meeting Ed.  Good to know he was like that from jump.  I've never had him yell at anyone on my behalf, but there was a situation where PJ's longtime tour manager Eric had a fit at venue security on my behalf, which I felt totally represented PJ as a band too, and I was that much more a dedicated fan because he read them the Riot Act for sure.  But so cool to have him tell the record people to chill in no uncertain terms.  Awesome!

P.s. I worked in college radio too in '92-'94, but on the west coast.  Never did anything with PJ through that, but I did interview a guy and his band in '93 that no one I knew had heard of, a guy named Ben Harper who ended up playing with PJ a couple of times... ;)  One of my favorite interviews ever for many reasons.  Almost as good as the George Clinton one, but those are other stories  =)
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    JP218404 said:
    JH6056 said:
    JP218404 said:
    RS65573 said:

Jayzus, I didn't think I could be any more jealous than I already was, but the Afghan Whigs then were already a favorite live band of mine and that was sometime around "Congregation" ('92ish) so they probably were already playing some of those songs... I AM SO MAD AT YOU, it is GROSSLY UNFAIR to have seen PJ in those tiny places, that early, along with the Afghan Whigs!!!  =)  Did you even like the Whigs, or they didn't really do anything for you?

Can you say more about Limelight? I didn't even know they played Limelight... I'm mad at you for being at that too!  But you said it was the best of the best, why?  What about it?

Love your story of meeting Ed.  Good to know he was like that from jump.  I've never had him yell at anyone on my behalf, but there was a situation where PJ's longtime tour manager Eric had a fit at venue security on my behalf, which I felt totally represented PJ as a band too, and I was that much more a dedicated fan because he read them the Riot Act for sure.  But so cool to have him tell the record people to chill in no uncertain terms.  Awesome!

P.s. I worked in college radio too in '92-'94, but on the west coast.  Never did anything with PJ through that, but I did interview a guy and his band in '93 that no one I knew had heard of, a guy named Ben Harper who ended up playing with PJ a couple of times... ;)  One of my favorite interviews ever for many reasons.  Almost as good as the George Clinton one, but those are other stories  =)
    Here is the ad from that night. I was a Whig fan. I was a huge sub pop can so the mighty rev and codine on the bill was great. 

Limelight was a special place. Go watch the entire show on you tube and you'll get it. The shape of the room. The whole experience 

Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more