Pearl Jam earnings breakdown

2»

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    pjhawks said:
    PP193448 said:
    Summary... they are rich.
    rich but not wealthy. when you break it down 9 million over 5 guys in the band, crew, management and money for the office personnel and to run their own shit maybe each guy cleared a million last year?  when you consider what even middle of the road NBA and MLB players make in a year it's not really a ton per guy.  also shows you they don't take in much when not touring which gives me hope they will play some shows each after after this year off.
    I guess the terms "rich" and "wealthy" could be subjective, but when I start clearing $1 mil a year...please start referencing me as both rich and wealthy. 
    As Chris Rock would explain rich vs wealthy:

"Oprah is rich.  The white guy who signs her paycheck is wealthy."
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752
    pjhawks said:
    PP193448 said:
    rich but not wealthy. when you break it down 9 million over 5 guys in the band, crew, management and money for the office personnel and to run their own shit maybe each guy cleared a million last year?  when you consider what even middle of the road NBA and MLB players make in a year it's not really a ton per guy.  also shows you they don't take in much when not touring which gives me hope they will play some shows each after after this year off.
    MLB players literally play 200 days a year with spring and playoffs. NBA, 80-100 games. For only working 16 days plus maybe a few more for practice they make a SHITLOAD of money
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    Shut it down. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,173
    tbergs said:
    Looking at these numbers, I think it's pretty clear we will never see much more than around a 20 show tour year again. Not that it was ever about the money with these guys, which is why they are awesome, but for all the traveling, being away from family and wear and tear, it's just not worth another million dollars I would think. They'll tour and make music as much as they can balance it with everything else they're involved in. None of them live extravagant lifestyles so they aren't trying to suck the market dry to make bank. Obviously they want to support their employees and families for long beyond when the music stops.
    Fully agreed. I have seen an interview of Kirk Hammett from Metallica in which he said that they are kind of forced to tour every year in order to cope with their financial commitments/ways of living.
    I am pretty sure that it will never be the case for Pearl Jam ... If it was the case for then I would have been able to see them almost every year Europe...
    Then again Metallica doesn't tour that much different than PJ.  It's a big(ger) tour this year because they dropped a new album, but most other years it's less than 20 dates.  Arenas and a few festivals.  Very similar to PJ.

I guess PJ can afford to take 1 year off... but I'm guessing not much more? :)
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    pjhawks said:
    PP193448 said:
    MLB players literally play 200 days a year with spring and playoffs. NBA, 80-100 games. For only working 16 days plus maybe a few more for practice they make a SHITLOAD of money
    Those same players also sign lucrative multi year contracts with tons of performance bonuses and incentives so it's not even comparable. If Eddie Vedder blows out his vocal chords, Pearl Jam basically makes no money and if he never sings again they're all SOL, but if said sports star bruises his thumb, he's on the DL for two weeks making bank and even if he breaks a limb, that contract is still going to pay him for its entirety. I think I recently read it was Bobby Bonilla day in that the Mets are still paying him $1 million a year and he hasn't played in 16 years! Musicians don't have that luxury. Besides the fact that sports stars receive tons in endorsements.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Why does anyone care other than "oh, that's some cool info"?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'd imagine those 16 or whatever days a year take much time and effort to make them happen.

(and for whom, hmmmm?)

I suppose I'm in the smaller camp of "what purpose does this information serve?"  Fuck knows I neither want nor need my income or net worth (ha!) dissected, so why would I do that to others?
  • Options
    ^^^
    Exactly Hedo!  Just like President Trump.

• Options
    ^^^
    Exactly Hedo!  Just like President Trump.

Not sure I get what you're getting at on the Trumpyfront. 

Please clarify if inclined.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,409
    you guys need to stream them more. They're not even in the top 20 rock bands on Spotify
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,434
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    PP193448 said:
    Those same players also sign lucrative multi year contracts with tons of performance bonuses and incentives so it's not even comparable. If Eddie Vedder blows out his vocal chords, Pearl Jam basically makes no money and if he never sings again they're all SOL, but if said sports star bruises his thumb, he's on the DL for two weeks making bank and even if he breaks a limb, that contract is still going to pay him for its entirety. I think I recently read it was Bobby Bonilla day in that the Mets are still paying him $1 million a year and he hasn't played in 16 years! Musicians don't have that luxury. Besides the fact that sports stars receive tons in endorsements.
    Bonilla made a deal with the Mets where he agreed to defer part of his contract into like 25 yearly payments of a million bucks a year.  It's essentially an annuity.  The Mets got payroll flexibility and Bonilla got some long term security. 

But I'd argue musicians do have that luxury.  They have publishing rights that allow them to continue to earn money off their music for the rest of their lives.  Look at Elvis, the Beatles, Michael Jackson, Jimi Hendrix, etc.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    I'm grateful that through 2016, the band has kept fanclub tickets under $100 per show. (Never mind the fact that one PJ show is typically twice as long as the average concert from most other bands)

Why people are making snarky comments about "16 days of work" & trying to figure out what each band member makes is beyond me.

& like Hedo, I guarantee none of you want your salaries or net worths nit-picked in a public setting, so why is it be ok to nit-pick what other people make? 
    You like PJ enough to pay dues to be in their fan club, yet feel the need to bitch & moan about what they make? I don't understand that. If I had a problem with the amount of money they make I would stop contributing, it's really that simple. 

It seems to me a lot of you don't know a good thing when you have it. 
  • Options
    Bu$chlagerBu$chlager Posts: 498

Anyone who doesn't think Pearl Jam are "rich", "wealthy", or whatever word you want to use, should have their head examined.  The guys are BEYOND making a comfortable living.  They are 1%'ers.

And yes, they do it working a very small portion of the year.  It's great work if you can get it, ammiright?

That said, does anyone really have a problem with this?

• Options

Anyone who doesn't think Pearl Jam are "rich", "wealthy", or whatever word you want to use, should have their head examined.  The guys are BEYOND making a comfortable living.  They are 1%'ers.

And yes, they do it working a very small portion of the year.  It's great work if you can get it, ammiright?

What's the criteria for a 1%er?
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,173
    One would also hope the band members tucked away funds from the earlier days where they played more shows and selling albums was more of a thing.     IE that they have enough on reserve that they don't need to tour except to keep the nest egg bolstered.

In hindsight maybe it would be better if they didn't and felt the need to tour a bit more :)
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,434

You have more money than 99% of the world.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Stickman24Stickman24 Posts: 210
    I could care less what the make.   I'm forever grateful for what they've given 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    on2legs said:

You have more money than 99% of the world.
    Lol, I did ask, didn't I? 

Honestly though, who the f cares what they make? How shitty is it of people to sit here & scrutinize their earnings. (Answer: very) 

Never count another man's money. I sure AF don't want you counting mine. 
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I absolutely do NOT get why anyone thinks these numbers are an intrusion into their lives.  These are publicly available sales figures, broken out by types of sales.  No one posted individual band members' net worth, or what they paid in taxes - these are public business numbers. Why is anyone hot and bothered about this??
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,525
    What the corporation earns is one thing. What the individuals earn is another. As fans of the band we're fortunate, I would say, to be invested musically and emotionally with a corporation and its' board members who perform and tour and release music on terms most of us are pleased with. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,021
    JH6056 said:
    I absolutely do NOT get why anyone thinks these numbers are an intrusion into their lives.  These are publicly available sales figures, broken out by types of sales.  No one posted individual band members' net worth, or what they paid in taxes - these are public business numbers. Why is anyone hot and bothered about this??
    When a person has taken the moral high-ground or are just up themselves, they are being "Holier-than-thou". Holier-than-thou literally means, holier than me or better than me.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,021
    I personally hope PJ make as much money they can doing what they want and doing it in a cool way.

People playing the "I don't understand how fans can scrutinise or discuss things concerning the band they are fans of" are laughable.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I get the whole "numbers are public" thing - I just find some of the speculation somewhat rude and intrusive.  Unnecessary.

Others want to pick that shit apart or judge me for thinking the above?  Have at it!
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    I get the whole "numbers are public" thing - I just find some of the speculation somewhat rude and intrusive.  Unnecessary.

Others want to pick that shit apart or judge me for thinking the above?  Have at it!
    +1

• Options
    SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 914
    Are we still fighting about this?  :s
This discussion has been closed.