Options

Anyone in Connecticut Hiring?

Recently my family and I have relocated to Southington, CT due to her job transfer.  Since arriving I have been on the hunt for a new job but have not had much luck so far. I'm learning that the best way to get an interview is to know someone who can get your application noticed, and unfortunately we haven't been here long enough for me to establish any real connections. I've gone to job fairs and used LinkedIn, but it's still been a challenge. 

When we moved here we knew nothing about Connecticut, and thanks to some advice I received on this board previously we discovered Southington and we love it!  I figured I'd give the Pearl Jam network a try again in my quest for a new career. To be clear, I'm not looking for a handout, rather someone who may know of an opening and may help get my resume pushed towards the top of a recruiter's pile. 

My background is primarily in security/loss prevention but I'm looking to try something new. I've been focusing my search lately on entry level positions with insurance companies and in tech, but I'm open for just about anything (except sales or retail - not my strongest areas!). I do have a lot of customer service and management experience to offer. 

Thanks in advance!  

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    https://www.indeed.com/m/jobs?sameL=1&q=insurance&l=Connecticut&from=searchOnSerp,whatauto

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in a hiring position in Connecticut. And if I did, they'd likely not want to hire anyone associated with the likes of me. But perhaps Indeed can help. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Recently my family and I have relocated to Southington, CT due to her job transfer.  Since arriving I have been on the hunt for a new job but have not had much luck so far. I'm learning that the best way to get an interview is to know someone who can get your application noticed, and unfortunately we haven't been here long enough for me to establish any real connections. I've gone to job fairs and used LinkedIn, but it's still been a challenge. 

When we moved here we knew nothing about Connecticut, and thanks to some advice I received on this board previously we discovered Southington and we love it!  I figured I'd give the Pearl Jam network a try again in my quest for a new career. To be clear, I'm not looking for a handout, rather someone who may know of an opening and may help get my resume pushed towards the top of a recruiter's pile. 

My background is primarily in security/loss prevention but I'm looking to try something new. I've been focusing my search lately on entry level positions with insurance companies and in tech, but I'm open for just about anything (except sales or retail - not my strongest areas!). I do have a lot of customer service and management experience to offer. 

Thanks in advance!  
    I don't live in Connecticut but can comment on looking for a tech job. The tech industry is becoming like lawyers. Twice the amount of people graduate each year more than new jobs exist. If you want a job in that industry other than working at something like the Apple Store you will need to go get a degree in CIS or Software Development depending on what you want to do.  
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,666
    What I can offer for advice (we are not hiring in CT, don't know of anyone who is right now in network) is pretty simple, but you may or may not be surprised at how often people bone this up.

Take down twitter, facetard, instagram, etc OR make sure your shit is squeaky clean and something you would be happy to have your grandmother look at.  Make sure your LinkedIn profile is in lockstep with your resume and looks good.  Your picture should be of just you, and it should be a head shot.  No action shots, no selfie, no shot cropped out of a larger picture.  Look professional.  These things matter if you want a solid job.

The very first thing I do when I like a resume I am reading is Google the name and spend some time looking.
    I have thrown aside dozens if not hundreds or resumes in the past for what I saw when searching.  It can be something you think is innocent (pictures of you out partying) or it can be something crazy (newspaper article about your crime prior to your sentencing years ago) but you better believe that people look at this and are whip quick to judge you.  

Good luck to you.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved