Options

The Worst Movie Ever?

124»

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    PJ_Soul said:
    I've never understood how anyone could've been surprised at the end of The Sixth Sense.
    I was.  I get entrenched in a movie.  I don't look for metaphors, I don't look for symbolism.  I just enjoy it...

That being said I hated the new Charlie and The Chocolate Factory.  What a steamy pile that was.  I tried to like it and couldn't...
    I just thought it was pretty obvious from the opening scene.  I actually didn't catch much of the symbolism until I watched the extras & commentary on the DVD. That made me appreciate the film a bit more.
    I am usually able to totally stay in the moment with a movie. Where it may or may not go or how it will end literally never crosses my mind one way or the other when I'm watching a good film (I will start thinking about it if it's a bad film because I'm bored or appalled enough for my mind to wander). So when I watched the Sixth Sense my brain didn't even question what may have been obvious - I just watched it moment to moment, so watching it that way I never predicted the ending. I have found, though, that I'm in a very small minority there. Most people I've known don't watch movies quite that way, and they tend to predict what is going to happen next or whatever. I just don't go there.
    Yeah, I mean, it wasn't so much that I watch things to predict the ending, it's just that I knew he was a ghost all along and when the ending came I was like "Wait, that's the surprise? Well, duh, he died in the opening scene." I just kept hearing about the big surprise and I was expecting something other than what was blatantly obvious from the start. I guess I just don't understand how everyone didn't catch that.
    Oh, well maybe I didn't think that because I saw it really early, so the "news" about some kind of big surprise at the end hadn't reached me. I thought he'd survived the shooting - I took it at face value I guess at the time because there was no reason for me to be expecting any kind of twist. They didn't actually show him die. THey only showed him get shot, and then they cut to a year later where his marriage sucks and his career was in shambles, all as a result of him being shot by an ex-patient who he failed. Even now I don't think the part about him getting shot is the give-away at all. In retrospect, it is the fact that nobody besides the kid speaks to him directly that is the indicator, but I don't think that factor was obvious until you knew he was dead (sounds like you just guessed he was dead and you were right, haha!).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    PJ_Soul said:
    I've never understood how anyone could've been surprised at the end of The Sixth Sense.
    I was.  I get entrenched in a movie.  I don't look for metaphors, I don't look for symbolism.  I just enjoy it...

That being said I hated the new Charlie and The Chocolate Factory.  What a steamy pile that was.  I tried to like it and couldn't...
    I just thought it was pretty obvious from the opening scene.  I actually didn't catch much of the symbolism until I watched the extras & commentary on the DVD. That made me appreciate the film a bit more.
    I am usually able to totally stay in the moment with a movie. Where it may or may not go or how it will end literally never crosses my mind one way or the other when I'm watching a good film (I will start thinking about it if it's a bad film because I'm bored or appalled enough for my mind to wander). So when I watched the Sixth Sense my brain didn't even question what may have been obvious - I just watched it moment to moment, so watching it that way I never predicted the ending. I have found, though, that I'm in a very small minority there. Most people I've known don't watch movies quite that way, and they tend to predict what is going to happen next or whatever. I just don't go there.
    You are my kind of woman Soul!  Glad that there is someone else out there that enjoys it for what it is!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:

You are my kind of woman Soul!  Glad that there is someone else out there that enjoys it for what it is!
    Y'all have spent way too much time discussing one of the shittiest films of the past 20 years. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    The following scene is the wurst:

https://youtu.be/XTMyG-HGppU
  • Options
    The Hours!!!!
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Y'all have spent way too much time discussing one of the shittiest films of the past 20 years. 
    hm. I thought the Sixth Sense was fucking brilliant. I'm usually pretty good at predicting outcomes of movies, but that one, ZERO idea. ZERO. I guess, like PJ Soul, I wasn't expecting any kind of twist. I didn't know who shmalamadingdong was. I just heard it was a great movie. and it was. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

hm. I thought the Sixth Sense was fucking brilliant. I'm usually pretty good at predicting outcomes of movies, but that one, ZERO idea. ZERO. I guess, like PJ Soul, I wasn't expecting any kind of twist. I didn't know who shmalamadingdong was. I just heard it was a great movie. and it was. 
    I liked Sixth Sense. Still do. It made me scream out loud in the theater. Granted, I was hella pregnant so maybe a bit more jumpy than usual, but still liked it. 

• Options
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I liked Sixth Sense. Still do. It made me scream out loud in the theater. Granted, I was hella pregnant so maybe a bit more jumpy than usual, but still liked it. 

Dumb.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Bite me, Dan. :hug:
  • Options
    Bite me, Dan. :hug:

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I thought I was the only one who calls M. Night that.

(sidenote - I was trying to think of one of his films which was a clunker; in looking through the list of his movies...he wrote the screenplay for Stuart Little?!)
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    I thought I was the only one who calls M. Night that.

(sidenote - I was trying to think of one of his films which was a clunker; in looking through the list of his movies...he wrote the screenplay for Stuart Little?!)
    Haha, I call him that too! It must just be the natural default, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Yep, Shyamalamadingdong it is.
    Or just Shalamalah Do doo be-do-do
    ...to the Muppets song of course.
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    Street Knight- may not be the worst, but deserves a little praise.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539

Car 54, Where are You?  (1994)

Even as a kid I was smart enough not to finish this movie. 

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think Tree of Life SUCKED. I absolutely hated it. A movie has never been so pointlessly pretentious, and few film characters have been as unlikable as that stupid asshole son of theirs. The only good part in the movie was when he died, lol.

However, I'm not sure most people here are taking the word "worst" seriously enough, lol. You don't get into the worst movie ever realm until you're talking about shit that is even worse than the likes of Sharknado or something. My vote is for either Left Behind: World at War (that's the third of the Left Behind Trilogy, those religious propaganda films starring Kirk Cameron... oddly, the first one was remade with Nicholas Cage recently, lol, That also sucked, but not as much), or for Cannibal Holocaust (1980), and that is solely because there is real life animal torture in it - they did not fake any of that. The animals were really mutilated and killed on film. So that alone makes it a very easy contender for worst movie ever IMO.
    I've never seen that movie, but the first thought that jumped into my head after reading your post was, "How could the actors actually harm the animals when making the film?" If a director told me that I needed to grab a cat and do something to it... I'd say, "No way, man. Are you serious?"
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think Tree of Life SUCKED. I absolutely hated it. A movie has never been so pointlessly pretentious, and few film characters have been as unlikable as that stupid asshole son of theirs. The only good part in the movie was when he died, lol.

However, I'm not sure most people here are taking the word "worst" seriously enough, lol. You don't get into the worst movie ever realm until you're talking about shit that is even worse than the likes of Sharknado or something. My vote is for either Left Behind: World at War (that's the third of the Left Behind Trilogy, those religious propaganda films starring Kirk Cameron... oddly, the first one was remade with Nicholas Cage recently, lol, That also sucked, but not as much), or for Cannibal Holocaust (1980), and that is solely because there is real life animal torture in it - they did not fake any of that. The animals were really mutilated and killed on film. So that alone makes it a very easy contender for worst movie ever IMO.
    I've never seen that movie, but the first thought that jumped into my head after reading your post was, "How could the actors actually harm the animals when making the film?" If a director told me that I needed to grab a cat and do something to it... I'd say, "No way, man. Are you serious?"
    Well I do not get the impression from that movie that a single "normal" person was involved in making it, lol, including the actors. The actors would have to be in pretty deep into weirdness already to get to that point in the filming process. Plus, it was back in the late 70s (came out in 1980). A lot of people didn't think the same way about random animals then like they do now. Not that I'm excusing them. They were obviously sick fucks to do that. I suppose they maybe thought it was justified for "the sake of their art" or some shit, I dunno.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Well I do not get the impression from that movie that a single "normal" person was involved in making it, lol, including the actors. The actors would have to be in pretty deep into weirdness already to get to that point in the filming process. Plus, it was back in the late 70s (came out in 1980). A lot of people didn't think the same way about random animals then like they do now. Not that I'm excusing them. They were obviously sick fucks to do that. I suppose they maybe thought it was justified for "the sake of their art" or some shit, I dunno.
    You had it right.  They were sick fucks.
  • Options
    That's a real water buffalo being ritualistically slaughtered in Apocalypse Now.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    "Charlie don't surf!"
    That is in the Best Movies Ever list.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    dankind said:
    That's a real water buffalo being ritualistically slaughtered in Apocalypse Now.
    You know, I'd totally forgotten about that scene, and I didn't know that was real... I don't know enough to form an opinion though. The animal wasn't mutilated and tortured, just slaughtered, presumably in a way that cattle are slaughtered in places. If that animal was going to be slaughtered anyhow, then I don't find that too out of hand. But if they killed it just to get that shot for the movie and didn't even use the meat or anything, then that would be disappointing to know about one of my favorite movies. It's sick to kill an animal just for the sake of a film. Still, I have some wiggle room if the movie is from a different era. It's the way it was done in Cannibal Holocaust that was horrendous. Really awful suffering for some of the animals (7 animals altogether, including a monkey), and barbaric. Some of the animals clearly suffered, and that was actually the point for the sake of the movie. A quick slaughter, well, how mad can I get at that, when I am a meat eater?? Not very. But again, it all depends on the circumstances surrounding that water buffalo's slaughter.

Edit: I had to go look this water buffalo thing up. Well... weird on Coppola's part I think, but it's hard to condemn it if the tribe was actually still carrying out their own rituals, even if someone did decide to facilitate the ritual for a film:

"Did the crew really kill the water buffalo?

No. The water buffalo was slaughtered by the Ifugao people you see on film for their own (ritual) purposes. They are a tribe that were used as the extras in the Kurtz compound. The crew claims that Coppola gave directions to the Ifugao people and brought them many buffalo to slaughter but only used one of the takes. Coppola tries to downplay his involvement in the event, The idea of using it in the film was brought to Coppola by his wife, Eleanor, who witnessed the ritual amongst the Ifugao prior to the scene's filming."

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    It adds absolutely nothing to the film, in my opinion, except perhaps some gory exhibitionism.

It was not as if they happened upon a ritualistic slaughter and started filming. Rather, they set it up so that they could film one. It was not the actual ritual; it was contrived for the sole purpose of that pretentious and pointless juxtaposition. 

Also, it was not swift or humane at all. They barbarically hack the water buffalo to pieces with machete-like blades and witness its immense suffering.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    It adds absolutely nothing to the film, in my opinion, except perhaps some gory exhibitionism.

It was not as if they happened upon a ritualistic slaughter and started filming. Rather, they set it up so that they could film one. It was not the actual ritual; it was contrived for the sole purpose of that pretentious and pointless juxtaposition. 

Also, it was not swift or humane at all. They barbarically hack the water buffalo to pieces with machete-like blades and witness its immense suffering.
    I guess it was more brutal than I was thinking. I've seen the movie at least a few times, but it's been years. I guess I still am less bothered because of the circumstances with both films... Cannibal Holocaust is just worse and much much more disturbing. But you're right, That's still messed up. I sincerely never considered that that was real for some reason, but in retrospect, I guess I should have realized, duh.
  • Options
    dankind said:

It was definitely gross.

I had thought that it was real footage kind of just tossed into the movie for effect.

Generally speaking... animals do not do well with humans.
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited July 2017

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

My curiosity is aroused.

Edit: not to see monkeys tortured, but to see what this film is about as a sub cultural relic.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on